U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,691,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Bunnies don't lay eggs? Dang! So these colorful eggs being distributed out of baskets with flowing ribbons carried by flaming rabbits isn't a "normal" thing? Outlaw it!

The damn eggs are all over around these dancing rabbits ... what's a guy to think? The things we teach kids! Dang it!
Maybe WP spent a little too much time dancing around the Maypole as a kid.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,142,147 times
So here are a few questions, Pilgrim ... let's talk some more about Nullgeo -- and you in comparison:

I have a son who was born a redhead ... the incidence of red hair varies in different countries and races, ranging from fractions of a percent to as much as 4% in N. America.

My wife is born deaf ... the incidence of deaf births runs somewhere between 1 out of every 1000 - 2000 births.

In any case, their respective identities are found in far lower percentage of the general population than, oh say, homosexuality has always been found. Are either or both my son and my wife:
1. "abnormal"?
2. "freaks"?

Does being a minority equate to being "abnormal"?

Should either or both be reviled for their congenital "conditions"?

Can you see any benefit or harm to their respective communities -- as well as to the general population -- in identifying them as having red hair or being deaf?

My wife is particularly well educated and professionally and artistically accomplished for a profoundly deaf-from-birth individual. Do you think that there is a positive message there to be conveyed to other deaf youth looking for role models?

This nonsense about comparing homosexuality with adultery -- and with other criminal and sociopathic behaviors you have linked in past threads, such as murderers and "cat-torturers" -- is beyond absurd. It is flat out sick. If we are going to discuss sick behavior, why not start with bigotry?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,464,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I particularly like this part: "California already has plans to reprint textbooks that will include the contributions of the LGBT community in 2015, at no extra cost to state taxpayers, said lawmakers. "

California has no money that isn't from the taxpayers whether they be so-called "state funds" or are federal funds. They all originate in the people's pockets; even those the feds have printed.
That'a why they're waiting three years to do it - probably budgeted for replacement then anyway. Key word is "extra".

Quote:
So here are a few questions, Pilgrim ... let's talk some more about Nullgeo -- and you in comparison:

I have a son who was born a redhead ... the incidence of red hair varies in different countries and races, ranging from fractions of a percent to as much as 4% in N. America.

My wife is born deaf ... the incidence of deaf births runs somewhere between 1 out of every 1000 - 2000 births.

In any case, their respective identities are found in far lower percentage of the general population than, oh say, homosexuality has always been found. Are either or both my son and my wife:
1. "abnormal"?
2. "freaks"?

Can you see any benefit or harm to their respective communities -- as well as to the general population -- in identifying them as having red hair or being deaf?

My wife is particularly well educated and professionally and artistically accomplished for a profoundly deaf-from-birth individual. Do you think that there is a positive message there to be conveyed to other deaf youth looking for role models?

This nonsense about comparing homosexuality with adultery -- and with other criminal and sociopathic behaviors you have linked in past threads, such as murderers and "cat-torturers" -- is beyond absurd. It is flat out sick. If we are going to discuss sick behavior, why not start with bigotry?
Well said. Kind of sad when certain people/groups continue to demonize gays and equate then with "sin" or perversion. I have a first cousin whom I'm pretty sure lives in the same town her in Butte County as WP. She's a Lesbian and one of the nicest, most intelligent people I know. She doesn't hide OR flaunt who she is anymore than any heterosexual does. She just retired on disability from the police department - was severely injured trying to arrest a very large male suspect. Had been a police woman for many years and an EMT before that. I think someone like that has earned the right to live her life openly.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 04-09-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,320,833 times
Quote:

1. "abnormal"?
2. "freaks"?

Just for fun, I'll play along with your usual disingenuousness. I've said this before: there's nothing wrong with being abnormal per se. Normal and abnormal are not moral qualities. The problem is normalizing immorality - behaviors that ought to be uncommon by virtue of their personal and social destructiveness.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Well said. Kind of sad when certain people/groups continue to demonize gays and equate then with "sin" or perversion. I have a first cousin whom I'm pretty sure lives in the same town her in Butte County as WP. She's a Lesbian and one of the nicest, most intelligent people I know. She doesn't hide OR flaunt who she is anymore than any heterosexual does. She just retired on disability from the police department - was severely injured trying to arrest a very large male suspect. Had been a police woman for many years and an EMT before that. I think someone like that has earned the right to live her life openly.
Hmm, I may have met your cousin recently. Something about police work tends to attract women like her ...

But this is all beside the point. Plenty of otherwise "nice", intelligent, and productive people do bad and destructive things. Homosexual acts are immoral and destructive as both the empirical data and the natural law easily prove.

Although religion isn't necessary to prove the point, the fact that homosexuality offends against the moral teaching of every major religious group in California is reason enough to ditch SB48.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

8,929 posts, read 5,437,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Hmm, I may have met your cousin recently. Something about police work tends to attract women like her ...

But this is all beside the point. Plenty of otherwise "nice", intelligent, and productive people do bad and destructive things. Homosexual acts are immoral and destructive as both the empirical data and the natural law easily prove.
Please show us this empirical data that shows homosexual acts are immoral and destructive.

Quote:
Although religion isn't necessary to prove the point, the fact that homosexuality offends against the moral teaching of every major religious group in California is reason enough to ditch SB48.
The moment you start talking about religion in a political discussion is the moment you are tuned out. It simply has no place at the discussion table.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Please show us this empirical data that shows homosexual acts are immoral and destructive.

Here's a start: The Health Risks of Gay Sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The moment you start talking about religion in a political discussion is the moment you are tuned out. It simply has no place at the discussion table.
Tell it to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Or this fellow.

Religion is society's chief source of morality, and morality is the essence of politics. Every political discussion is, at bottom, a religious discussion.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,196,552 times
There are "health risks' to SEX WP...any kind. Even the kind you have.

This isn't about the physical act of sex though.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,464,552 times
Quote:
Plenty of otherwise "nice", intelligent, and productive people do bad and destructive things.
Plenty of nice, intelligent and productive people do bad and destructive things under the guise of good/holy/moral as well. Trying to get this on the ballot is one of them.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM

4,985 posts, read 5,119,190 times
Quote:
The atrocious and wildly misnamed "FAIR Education Act", stealth legislation passed in 2011 which seeks to normalize homosexuality in the minds of California's youngest school children, will likely be challenged on the November ballot.
Praise the Lord! When I move my family out to California, I have no plans of putting my brother in public school to be indoctrinated. Same for my future children. But I'm still going to put them in private school regardless of whether the fair act is repealed or not. I'm just rejoicing for the poor souls in public school. Last thing California students need is to be indoctrinated. How about teaching them the basic fundamentals of education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California