U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM

8,797 posts, read 5,171,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
How many reflexively opposed to this have even read the bill?

SB 48, Leno. Pupil instruction: prohibition of discriminatory
content.

Existing law requires instruction in social sciences to include a
study of the role and contributions of both men and women and
specified categories of persons to the development of California and
the United States.

This bill would update references to certain categories of persons
and additionally would require instruction in social sciences to
include a study of the role and contributions of lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgender Americans, persons with disabilities, and
members of other cultural groups, to the development of California
and the United States.

Existing law prohibits instruction or school sponsored activities
that promote a discriminatory bias because of race, sex, color,
creed, handicap, national origin, or ancestry. Existing law prohibits
the State Board of Education and the governing board of any school
district from adopting textbooks or other instructional materials
that contain any matter that reflects adversely upon persons because
of their race, sex, color, creed, handicap, national origin, or
ancestry.

This bill would revise the list of characteristics included in
these provisions by referring to race or ethnicity, gender, religion,
disability, nationality, and sexual orientation, or other
characteristic listed as specified.

Existing law prohibits a governing board of a school district from
adopting instructional materials that contain any matter reflecting
adversely upon persons because of their race, color, creed, national
origin, ancestry, sex, handicap, or occupation, or that contain any
sectarian or denominational doctrine or propaganda contrary to law.

This bill would revise the list of characteristics included in
this provision to include race or ethnicity, gender, religion,
disability, nationality, sexual orientation, and occupation, or other
characteristic listed as specified.

Existing law requires that when adopting instructional materials
for use in the schools, governing boards of school districts shall
include materials that accurately portray the role and contributions
of culturally and racially diverse groups including Native Americans,
African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, European
Americans, and members of other ethnic and cultural groups to the
total development of California and the United States.

This bill would revise the list of culturally and racially diverse
groups to also include Pacific Islanders, lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and transgender Americans, and persons with disabilities.

Existing law provides that there shall be no discrimination on the
basis of specified characteristics in any operation of alternative
schools or charter schools.

This bill would state the intent of the Legislature that
alternative and charter schools take notice of the provisions of this
bill in light of provisions of existing law that prohibit
discrimination in any aspect of their operation.

Full text here:
SB 48 Senate Bill - CHAPTERED

Local school boards will still be able to decide how to implement the mandate and at what grade-level the instruction will begin once the law goes into effect.

"Revise the list of characteristics included in this provision to include race or ethnicity, gender, religion, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, and occupation, or other characteristic listed as specified."

I know, pretty inflammatory stuff. This certainly dooms our species.

Now grab a pitchfork and storm the castle.
Thanks for posting that - I definitely had not read the bill. As I understand it, the new curriculum will probably amount to no more than a couple of afternoons (if that).

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM

3,064 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Good, if it will help prevent field trips for elementary school kids like this one that involved second graders touring the Castro District of San Francisco.

"Last week, second-graders from San Francisco’s private all-boys Town School strolled through the Castro, the city’s world-renowned gay district where a huge rainbow flag flies gloriously above Harvey Milk Plaza."

"The group of about four dozen boys, ages 7 and 8, was led by a reputable local historian who regularly leads walking tours of the Castro..."

Is San Francisco’s Castro neighborhood appropriate for young kids? | The Mommy Files | an SFGate.com blog

For those unfamiliar with the Castro District, here is a recent story about the area where men walk around naked and sex apparatus shops flourish.

Recently, a decision was made to require towels be placed on public benches when a naked man sits down. Maybe they are trying to "clean up" the district in preparation for more school field trips teaching about Gay History?

The naked truth about nudity in the Castro
Only In San Francisco: Cops Can't Force Naked Men To Put On Clothes - San Francisco News - The Snitch
Proposal Would Force SF Nudists To Cover Up When Sitting « CBS San Francisco

Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM

1,103 posts, read 893,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Just for fun, I'll play along with your usual disingenuousness. I've said this before: there's nothing wrong with being abnormal per se. Normal and abnormal are not moral qualities. The problem is normalizing immorality - behaviors that ought to be uncommon by virtue of their personal and social destructiveness.
There is nothing destructive about my behavior or the behavior of many Gays, not to their personal life or to society. Being of one sexual orientation just simply is, it just simply exists, quite unlike choosing to harm yourself or others. Your position is like something directly from the darker, repressive part of our history. I fail to see how my being Gay is destructive to anything or anyone. I can't speak for all people,but I can speak for many, as well as myself. Maybe you should get to know more gays...oh, wait...did you know that you already do know and interact with many Gay men and women..they just didn't tell you that they are Gay.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,086,641 times
Quote:
For those unfamiliar with the Castro District, here is a recent story about the area where men walk around naked and sex apparatus shops flourish.

Recently, a decision was made to require towels be placed on public benches when a naked man sits down. Maybe they are trying to "clean up" the district in preparation for more school field trips teaching about Gay History?
Nudity in SF is not confined to gay districts or gays. Seems to me that seeing naked bodies takes way the mystery, shame and guilt that churches like to push onto kids.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Of course it is. The whole point of SB48 is to remake California into a place where homosexual acts are morally approved by the majority, and where those who engage in these acts meet no social disadvantages whatsoever.
Wow, you mean that Gays would finally start to have some acceptance in a fairer, more compassionate, open-minded society?? A society in which minorities can expect to enjoy some expectation of fair treatment and freedom from fear?

Last edited by katnip kid; 04-09-2012 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

WP, how do you know what God intended? I feel you just don't speak for the divine being. Who are you to say what God wants? I for one am suspicious when people try to hide behind religion when they decide to demonize a group of people, esp. those who have historically been persecuted and now only want to end that persecution. I wonder just exactly what Jesus would have to say about all this. I have said it before and I will say it again and again and again, since you want to bring God into the discussion: I wish Jesus would indeed make a second coming, he really needs to have a good, long talk with his followers about oh, so many things.

Last edited by katnip kid; 04-09-2012 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Good, if it will help prevent field trips for elementary school kids like this one that involved second graders touring the Castro District of San Francisco.

"Last week, second-graders from San Francisco’s private all-boys Town School strolled through the Castro, the city’s world-renowned gay district where a huge rainbow flag flies gloriously above Harvey Milk Plaza."

"The group of about four dozen boys, ages 7 and 8, was led by a reputable local historian who regularly leads walking tours of the Castro..."

Is San Francisco’s Castro neighborhood appropriate for young kids? | The Mommy Files | an SFGate.com blog

The naked truth about nudity in the Castro
Only In San Francisco: Cops Can't Force Naked Men To Put On Clothes - San Francisco News - The Snitch
Proposal Would Force SF Nudists To Cover Up When Sitting « CBS San Francisco
The way some Gays behave in the Castro is no more the norm for all Gays behavior than some wild party at a straight swinger's club represents heterosexuality.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,143,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nudity in SF is not confined to gay districts or gays. Seems to me that seeing naked bodies takes way the mystery, shame and guilt that churches like to push onto kids.
Especially one in particular *wink wink nudge nudge*.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM

3,064 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
The way some Gays behave in the Castro is no more the norm for all Gays behavior than some wild party at a straight swinger's club represents heterosexuality.
And I doubt you'd see any 2nd grade field trips to a "swinger's club," even with a tour guide.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM

7,151 posts, read 3,959,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And I doubt you'd see any 2nd grade field trips to a "swinger's club," even with a tour guide.
Right ... so the trip is in question ... but why is it in question because the destination was gay-oriented specifically? You are making an issue out of the field trip being to a gay district -- rather than objecting to any school function associating with any sexually-charged theme / area of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California