U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM

6,390 posts, read 2,809,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Guess you missed the fact that the links in my post were supporting your argument.

Meh If I can't hunt cougars then why should I care about commercial packers using our wilderness areas.
You are right, I did not read your links. Just read them, good info, I was out in one of our local wildernesses today and heard a helicopter circling in the distance, CHP and Sheriffs will fly canyons in helicopters looking for grows, tough to spot as they are often sheltered under the chaparral.

You can hunt cougars, in Nevada, Montana and Idaho, just to name three states. Generally wilderness hunts are supported by commercial packers, and often commercial licensed guides.

Since we are talking about Federal Wilderness areas, if Commercial activity is shut down in one, it is likely to be shut down in all. One can be myopic and provincial, or not.

This is a big deal, much bigger than SEKI or California.

Last edited by .highnlite; 04-10-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-10-2012, 03:03 PM

18,559 posts, read 9,977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You are right, I did not read your links. Just read them, good info, I was out in one of our local wildernesses today and heard a helicopter circling in the distance, CHP and Sheriffs will fly canyons in helicopters looking for grows, tough to spot as they are often sheltered under the chaparral.

You can hunt cougars, in Nevada, Montana and Idaho, just to name three states. Generally wilderness hunts are supported by commercial packers, and often commercial licensed guides.

Since we are talking about Federal Wilderness areas, if Commercial activity is shut down in one, it is likely to be shut down in all. One can be myopic and provincial, or not.

This is a big deal, much bigger than SEKI or California.
I agree, my comment was a sarcastic jab towards the myopia(to use your word) of the governance California's resources.

I fully support controlled usage of California's wildland resourses for all.

I am fully aware of the National impacts of these types of government decisions. I have been supporting organizations since the 1980's that have been fighting to maintain RESPONSIBLE and REASONABLE usage of our National Public Lands.

I should not have to travel outside of California to hunt Cougars as it should be a part of responsible wildlife management.

As a hunter I am the last one you need to preach to. It's the environmental wackos supported by you know what "political ideology" you have to thank.

Unread 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It's the environmental wackos supported by you know what "political ideology" you have to thank.
I try hard not put a political ideology on land use decisions. Our National Forests, Parks, game refuges, came to us through the efforts of liberals, generally bitterly opposed by conservatives. Conservatives today generally support those public lands. Today, certain forms of wildland abuse are claimed by Conservatives, OHV's for instance, yet much of what I do in our wildlands I do with conservatives.

The Radical Environmentalists, I do not classify as liberals. I classify them as urbanites removed from nature. Most of my friends could be classified as liberals, we prefer to think of ourselves as rational.

We oppose the radical environmentalists as well as the land rape and pillagers. I think that is a rational position.

Unread 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM

18,559 posts, read 9,977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I try hard not put a political ideology on land use decisions. Our National Forests, Parks, game refuges, came to us through the efforts of liberals, generally bitterly opposed by conservatives. Conservatives today generally support those public lands. Today, certain forms of wildland abuse are claimed by Conservatives, OHV's for instance, yet much of what I do in our wildlands I do with conservatives.

The Radical Environmentalists, I do not classify as liberals. I classify them as urbanites removed from nature. Most of my friends could be classified as liberals, we prefer to think of ourselves as rational.

We oppose the radical environmentalists as well as the land rape and pillagers. I think that is a rational position.
You and I will most likely never be on the same side of the political ideology fence. However, the above bolded statement I agree with wholeheartedly.

If this land use decision that you are worried about is to be defeated you will most likely need to align yourself with others that you disparage on a consistant basis.

Unread 04-10-2012, 04:53 PM

I aligned myself with them folks years ago. We are a diverse group, 90% Conservative, 10% rational. Us Rationals change the subject when the Cons bring up politics. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. On the SEKI issue right now, the only one who can force the NPS to issue Commerical Permits for the upcoming season is Barack Obama. I explain to my friends that if they call him names, he is less likely to help out, so, I have encouraged everyone to keep politics out of the issue, and stick to historical use, of which, our family and friends have packed into the Sierra for over 120 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California