Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM

16 posts, read 32,016 times

Advertisements

I have a license from out of state and I'm confused on the process to getting a new one.

When I called the DMV they informed me I would need two forms of legal proof that I was a citizen. A birth certificate and a social security card.

I have my social security card but I was not born in the country. My father's American that's how I was able to enter the country. I'm unable to use a birth certificate from another country at the DMV.

The lady on the phone was a little stumped and I told her I had an out of state license, and a social. She said that wasn't acceptable.

When I called back again to be sure the person on the phone told me that some DMV's may accept a social and my out of state license. I'm a little confused on what to do here because I don't want to wait in a 4 hour line just to hear bad news.

Anyone have any idea on how to get this sorted out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM

4,645 posts, read 4,503,121 times
Do you have a passport?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,482,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Do you have a passport?
x2 - thats the easiest way to get it done.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 32,016 times
Hello.

Thank you for the replies. At one point like 8 years ago I did have a passport. The problem with obtaining a new one is it requires, just like the DMV proof of citizenship which is the following:

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*
Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
Naturalization Certificate
Certificate of Citizenship

The only document I have of the above is my birth certificate which is from another country so that doesn't count...

I pretty much have no way to prove I'm a U.S. citizen despite being one.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 PM

672 posts, read 2,166,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarion View Post
Hello.

Thank you for the replies. At one point like 8 years ago I did have a passport. The problem with obtaining a new one is it requires, just like the DMV proof of citizenship which is the following:
If your last passport is less than 10 years old, you don't need a 'new' passport per se. You can get a replacement for a lost passport, since your last passport would still have been valid. That might make it easier.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,244,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarion View Post
I have my social security card but I was not born in the country. My father's American that's how I was able to enter the country. I'm unable to use a birth certificate from another country at the DMV.
All you have to do is go to your Department of Health to get a new amended BC issued to you.

sicne you were born to an American Citizen Father (that makes you an American Citizen by birth or at least US National), you can get an American birth certificate.

Your parents should have filed to have your birth recognized in the US when you were a child in the first state you lived in with your parents.

You may want to check with the state's you were first living in as a child to see if they have an amended birth certificate for you.

Otherwise, talk to your parents. YOU are a citizen because of your father, but your parents needed to have made that recognized with the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California