Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times

Advertisements

Castello Di Amorosa is a 121,000 sf Italianate castle located just south of Calistoga in the Napa Valley. The massive project was completed in 2007, marking a unique contribution to California art and architecture.

According to one visitor writing in 2008:

"During my conversation with Mr. Sattui, I referred to seeing Disneyland’s castle. I almost made him indignant.

'I do not like Disneyland because it is all fake. When you go through here, you will see that it is all real. We did not fake it. We either used very old materials that are hundreds of years old, made by hand, or we did it the way it would have been done seven or eight hundred years ago. For instance, we did not use any cement. We used lime, sand and water. They did not have cement then. We did not use modern tools. We did almost everything by hand.'

They hauled an estimated 8,000 tons of stone from two local quarries. Pointing to the basalt, he said it took an hour and a half to chisel one into a block. They also used the softer sandstone.

'We chiseled all the stone the way it would have been chiseled. We had as many as seventeen men, day after day. All they did was chisel stone.'

Many of the bricks used to make the underground cellars came from Mr. Gruber in Austria. At one point in the tour, Mr. Sattui stopped to show us a 'mess up' that proved the age of the bricks.

'Most of these bricks were made by the royal brick maker to the Hapsburgs. These bricks are over two hundred years old. See the “H” for Hapsburg? There is a “W” here for Wien or Vienna, a “D” for Deus or God, and the double eagle was a symbol for the Hapsburgs. This is supposed to be an Italian castle, so they were supposed to flip it.'

Castello di Amorosa is a true medieval castle with all that a twelfth or thirteenth century defensive fortress would have. It has a guardhouse, a dry moat and a drawbridge. The high towers and walls are crenellated and contain narrow slits so archers can shoot their arrows from within. There are even holes in one of the towers from which to pour boiling oil on attackers. Underground, there is a dungeon and a torture chamber with real instruments of torture."

A torture chamber? Yikes.

Anyway, the best part about it for me, as a traditional Catholic, is that the Latin Mass is celebrated by a diocesan priest in the castle's St. Catherine of Sienna Chapel every Sunday at 8:30am, which I'm sure must be lovely. It's definitely on my short list of places to visit.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 04-12-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Castle Winery - "Castello di Amorosa" - YouTube

Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
This is on our bucket list. Maybe early summer.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Very nice. Looks like we'll have to make a stop by on our annual trip to Dillon Beach.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
After the castle, visit an abbey in Vina off Hwy 99 (maybe Tehema County ??). The abbey is still being built. The building was imported stone by stone from Europe by William Randolph Hearst who decided not to use it at San Simeon. The monks are slowly building the abbey as money becomes available. The abbey has its own winery.

Abbey of New Clairvaux | Vina, CA - Home

Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
After the castle, visit an abbey in Vina off Hwy 99 (maybe Tehema County ??). The abbey is still being built. The building was imported stone by stone from Europe by William Randolph Hearst who decided not to use it at San Simeon. The monks are slowly building the abbey as money becomes available. The abbey has its own winery.

Abbey of New Clairvaux | Vina, CA - Home
Yes, it's in southern Tehama County just off the highway. I second the recommendation. Been there several times. The Chapter House - where the monks gather to read (actually chant) "chapters" of the Rule of St. Benedict - is being built from stones recovered from an 800 year old Cistercian monastery in Spain. One can tour the winery and vineyards, attend services with the monks, and even make a retreat.

And their wine is fabulous.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Very nice. I live in L.A., and we'd never have a nice building like that down here, because in a matter of minutes the whole thing would be covered with graffiti.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

Anyway, the best part about it for me, as a traditional Catholic, is that the Latin Mass is celebrated by a diocesan priest in the castle's St. Catherine of Sienna Chapel every Sunday at 8:30am, which I'm sure must be lovely. It's definitely on my short list of places to visit.
I have had the pleasure of attending that Mass! It was lovely and the chapel is beautiful, as is the entire property.

Nice to see another Latin Masser on here.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
I'm surprised he has been approached to rent it for a movie set.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
I have had the pleasure of attending that Mass! It was lovely and the chapel is beautiful, as is the entire property.

Nice to see another Latin Masser on here.
Likewise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California