U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 167,674 times
Default Trying to decide between Sacramento County and Solano County

This is sort of carried over from another thread, since our focus has shifted. At this point, we've narrowed our choices down to the Solano and Sacramento counties. We can't seem to find much information about the Solano County area, while there's plenty of information about the Sacramento County area. We would love to get some opinions and information about how the two areas compare according to our needs.

Our situation is like this:

-We're looking for single family houses at around $250K.

-We are not the outdoors type. We're total homebodies (reading books, watching movies, video games, gardening).

-We're don't need to live close to tourist/vacation spots or big cities, but we don't want to be out there in the middle of nowhere either. Just normal suburbs with decent downtown areas nearby would be fine.

-I work at home via the internet.

-We have no children.

-Our priorities are safety (crime rate), neighborhood beauty (landscaping, well-kept houses), and convenience (walking distance to shopping/grocery).

-We prefer mild weather (no extreme heat, rain, or snow). So if we have to choose between two similar weathered places, we'd pick the one with the milder weather.

-We haven't been to either counties (though I'm from the Bay Area originally), and we plan to visit them in the coming month--rent a place temporarily so we can familiarize ourselves with the areas we're interested in.

Any information or opinions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM

3,794 posts, read 2,447,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunatiqueRob View Post
This is sort of carried over from another thread, since our focus has shifted. At this point, we've narrowed our choices down to the Solano and Sacramento counties. We can't seem to find much information about the Solano County area, while there's plenty of information about the Sacramento County area. We would love to get some opinions and information about how the two areas compare according to our needs.

Our situation is like this:

-We're looking for single family houses at around $250K.

-We are not the outdoors type. We're total homebodies (reading books, watching movies, video games, gardening).

-We're don't need to live close to tourist/vacation spots or big cities, but we don't want to be out there in the middle of nowhere either. Just normal suburbs with decent downtown areas nearby would be fine.

-I work at home via the internet.

-We have no children.

-Our priorities are safety (crime rate), neighborhood beauty (landscaping, well-kept houses), and convenience (walking distance to shopping/grocery).

-We prefer mild weather (no extreme heat, rain, or snow). So if we have to choose between two similar weathered places, we'd pick the one with the milder weather.

-We haven't been to either counties (though I'm from the Bay Area originally), and we plan to visit them in the coming month--rent a place temporarily so we can familiarize ourselves with the areas we're interested in.

Any information or opinions would be much appreciated.
Based on the criteria I colored, I'd say Sacramento is not for you. But, you really need to spend a few days here driving through all your targeted neighborhoods to find out for sure. Be sure to drive through midtown, and the suburbs with the houses in your price range (Elk Grove, So Sac, West Sac, Natomas (so & no), Arden Arcade, Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights). I don't know which neighborhood will fit your criteria. I can only think of a few neighborhoods where you can walk to shopping/grocery and they aren't in your price range.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM

3,476 posts, read 8,902,200 times
Quote:
At this point, we've narrowed our choices down to the Solano and Sacramento counties.
Also check out Yolo County between Solano and Sacramento counties. You might like Davis or Woodland.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Based on the criteria I colored, I'd say Sacramento is not for you. But, you really need to spend a few days here driving through all your targeted neighborhoods to find out for sure. Be sure to drive through midtown, and the suburbs with the houses in your price range (Elk Grove, So Sac, West Sac, Natomas (so & no), Arden Arcade, Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights). I don't know which neighborhood will fit your criteria. I can only think of a few neighborhoods where you can walk to shopping/grocery and they aren't in your price range.
In the Sacto County area, I'm probably more interested in areas similar to Roseville and Rocklin, as they are the one that's most mentioned as far as safe/nice neighborhoods.

But right now, it seems the Solano area has the advantage of being cooler during the summer, so unless there are compelling reasons to not pick the Solano area, Sacto would remain #2 priority. That's what I'm trying to decide in this thread--to see if there are compelling reasons why Solano area shouldn't be priority #1 for us.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Also check out Yolo County between Solano and Sacramento counties. You might like Davis or Woodland.
I don't see many houses in our price range in those two cities when I searched Zillow.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 AM

7,876 posts, read 9,560,630 times
Vacaville.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,918,949 times
Quote:
I'm probably more interested in areas similar to Roseville and Rocklin
I stopped reading here.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I stopped reading here.
Why? Is our preference for a safe, quiet neighborhood such a repulsive thing?

Just so you know, I'm not what you probably think I am. I've been an artist, composer, writer, and photographer my whole life, and I've lived in all kinds of places--from poor areas, artist's villages, to posh apartments, and in various countries like Taiwan, Malaysia, China, and the States. But I'm getting older and I just want some peace and quiet so I can stay home and write my novels and compose music. My days of sharing a house with other artists and college students in the more "interesting" neighborhoods are behind me. It's just me and my wife these days.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,443,604 times
You should look into an area near Fairfield called Cordelia. Weather's much better than Sac, it's safe, and you'll be able to find something in your price range.

If it matters to you, Roseville is not diverse at all and it's doubtful you'd be able to find something halfway decent there for less than 250k. I noticed you were writing this from China so I'm making an assumption that you are Asian. It may or may not matter to you, but some of the outlying areas in Sacramento County you've mentioned are very white..and quite conservative leaning.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You should look into an area near Fairfield called Cordelia. Weather's much better than Sac, it's safe, and you'll be able to find something in your price range.

If it matters to you, Roseville is not diverse at all and it's doubtful you'd be able to find something halfway decent there for less than 250k. I noticed you were writing this from China so I'm making an assumption that you are Asian. It may or may not matter to you, but some of the outlying areas in Sacramento County you've mentioned are very white..and quite conservative leaning.
How conservative are we talking about? Am I going to have to worry about hate crimes and dirty looks? I grew up in the Bay Area, so it's a pretty open-minded place to grow up in, so I'm used to not having to deal with racism (well, I did as a kid, but not as an adult, since the racist kids grew up, and at least knew how to hide their racism and appear like decent human beings).

Personally, I really don't care. I'm not one of those annoying "Azn Pride" people. I believe in the global village and all human beings being equal--well, in my ideal fantasy anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California