Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,581,159 times

Advertisements

Few Californians know much about the history of their own state, despite the fourth grade requirement in CA's public schools. There are numerous books written for school-age children that might help correct this defect. Unfortunately most of them are deemed too politically "incorrect" for one reason or another, and I suspect will not even be found in school libraries.

One such book is a charming collection of "Stories of California" by Ella M. Sexton. Like many others of its genre, the entire book is available online. Here's an excerpt from the chapter titled "About California's Indians":

"General Bidwell, who came to California in 1841 and surveyed the land for many ranches, says of the Indians at that time: 'They were almost as wild as deer, and wore no clothes at all except the women, who had tule aprons fastened to a belt round their waists. In the rough work of surveying among brush and briars I gave the men shoes, pantaloons, and shirts, which they would take off when work was done, carry home in their hands, and put on in time to go to work again. But they soon learned to sleep in their new things to save trouble, and would wear them day and night till a suit dropped to pieces. They were quick to do as the whites did, and when paid in calico and cloth Saturday night, by Monday they had on their new skirts or shirts all made up like ours. Yet every Indian would choose beads for his wages, and go almost naked and hungry till the next pay-day.'

General Bidwell treated the Indians honestly and kindly, and in return they were his friends and helped him much to his advantage. In 1847 he settled on the great Rancho Chico, and part of his land he gave to the Mechoopdas, as the Indian rancheria there was called. They worked to plant orchards and at all his farm-work, and he treated them so fairly that old men are still living on this ranch who as boys helped the general in his tree-planting and road-building. A whole village of these Mechoopdas live on the Bidwell place owning their houses, while Mrs. Bidwell is their best friend and helps them in sickness and trouble. The men work in the hop fields and fruit orchards, and the women make baskets."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,116,672 times
I didn't learn the unvarnished history of California until I went to college and took an excellent course on it. It was very different from what we were taught in fourth grade which seemed heavy on the mission period at the expense of the 200 years following.

Some of my ancestors on my mom's side arrived in Northern Cal around the same time as Bidwell and were neighbors of his in Chico. He and his wife were interesting people. It's funny how so much of the focus of the gold rush is on the miners but the more interesting stories of that time occured peripheral to them. I've learned a lot about the early American period from studying my genealogy. You can pick up a lot reading autobiographies, personal correspondence, and local history stuff that you miss just covering the highlights in a textbook.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 04-17-2012 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,581,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I didn't learn the unvarnished history of California until I went to college and took an excellent course on it. It was very different from what we were taught in fourth grade which seemed heavy on the mission period at the expense of the 200 years following.

Some of my ancestors on my mom's side arrived in Northern Cal around the same time as Bidwell and were neighbors of his in Chico. He and his wife were interesting people. It's funny how so much of the focus of the gold rush is on the miners but the more interesting stories of that time occured peripheral to them. I've learned a lot about the early American period from studying my genealogy. You can pick up a lot reading autobiographies, personal correspondence, and local history stuff that you miss just covering the highlights in a textbook.
I think that qualifies you as a genuine California aristocrat. There's a newly formed "Bidwell Parlor" of the Native Sons of the Golden West in Chico. I'll bet they'd be thrilled to have you.

Bidwell was a prince of a man and someone Californians can be extremely proud of. The last biography I read about him was written by a couple of seasoned and cynical journalists. They said they dug deep to find some "dirt" on Bidwell, some skeleton in the closet, some scandalous misdeeds, and came up with nothing. Refreshing.

Bidwell was a tall man, and his wife was 4'10" or somewhere in there. My wife and I - with 15.5" between the top of her head and the top of mine - appreciate the fact that the spread between John and Annie Bidwell was even greater. :-)

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 04-17-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: