U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Reputation: 6448
Default Los Osos - Pros and Cons Please

I'm not used to being the one asking for advice on here but the in-laws are trying to convince the Mrs. and me to pull up stakes and move from VA to Los Osos. Am curious if any C-Ders have lived around there and can share perspectives on the lifestyle in those parts. Jobs, schools, housing and the other usual C-D issues aren't a concern. Am more interested in hearing about daily life there. Am i going to get rock fever? Also, how are ocean related activities? I've been conditioned from birth not to do anything along those lines North of Point Conception.

i'm sure my perceptions are somewhat outdated as I've not lived in CA for over 20 years. i'd prefer to move next door to Fontucky but the wife can't take the heat due to a medical condition.

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,589 posts, read 19,085,026 times
Reputation: 16031
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
i'd prefer to move next door to Fontucky but the wife can't take the heat due to a medical condition.
To bad. I've got a lovely rental down the street going available in July. We could hang out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
Reputation: 2622
Los Osos, like the rest of the Central Coast is a fine place to live. I am not sure what you mean by Rock Fever. Los Osos is a quiet little burg at the south end of Morro Bay, Kayaking and sailing in the bay is popular. Just south is 8,000 acre Montana De Oro, a secret locals spot, lots of trails and very dynamic and scenic meeting of land and sea. In the summer when it is baking inland, Montana De Oro and Los Oso can be jacket weather.

You are near to what ever, Thursday night Farmers Market is one of the very best in the country.

If you garden, it works year round.

Lots of groups to do volunteer work of one sort or another, if you like that. We live 25 miles from Los Oso, my wife has become a serious if not slightly demented gardener. Right now our covered porch is packed with flats of vegetables and flowers. Here is her latest kitchen garden list: ‎2 varieties of bell pepper, 2 varieties of eggplant and jalapeo pepper, 6 varieties of tomatoes, tomatillos, broccoli, cabbage, and 7 varieties of culinary herbs.

When we moved here from the cold climate of Truckee my daughters took to referring to this area as The Shire. Nothing bad ever happens, the weather is always nice (certainly not like Truckee or VA)

If you have particular questions, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Reputation: 6448
I figured I'd be hearing from you .highnlite. Thanks for the rundown. Sounds delightful. When I said "rock fever" I was thinking perhaps it might be a bit isolated feeling on the Central Coast. I'm actually not too worried about it as it seems to have all the key amenities nearby (Trader Joes, good Mexican food, decent cycling, and of course the beach). Remember I'd be coming from the bright lights of Northern VA/DC metro so could be a bit of a culture shock.

Fontucky - I'll make it a point to drive down once in awhile to hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
Reputation: 2622
We don't find So Cal to have anything for us, aside from the airport and the VA for me. California has two AAA magazines, one for the north and one for the south. Since we moved here, we get the So Cal version which we don't read. We miss Via, the magazine for the north.

I do get a hankering for Death Valley in March, and the Sierra in June. My girls, and wife had lived in Nevada and Truckee, and are happy here. Lots of good restaurants, fun nooks for shopping for those who like shopping, Cambria is cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Reputation: 6448
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
We don't find So Cal to have anything for us, aside from the airport and the VA for me. California has two AAA magazines, one for the north and one for the south. Since we moved here, we get the So Cal version which we don't read. We miss Via, the magazine for the north.

I do get a hankering for Death Valley in March, and the Sierra in June. My girls, and wife had lived in Nevada and Truckee, and are happy here. Lots of good restaurants, fun nooks for shopping for those who like shopping, Cambria is cute.
I have family in Reno. What routes do you generally take to get up that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
Reputation: 2622
The quickest way to Reno is 101 to 46 to 41 to 5 to 80. Boring, I must have done that over a thousand times. It is about 7 hours. Took my wife 9 hours on Thursday, the hour from Truckee to Auburn took two hours due to snow.

Another way is 101 to 156 through San Juan Batista, to 5 and up.

There are lots of pleasant ways, through the Sierra passes in summer, best to break those up into two days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,823 posts, read 9,256,497 times
Reputation: 3959
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm not used to being the one asking for advice on here but the in-laws are trying to convince the Mrs. and me to pull up stakes and move from VA to Los Osos. Am curious if any C-Ders have lived around there and can share perspectives on the lifestyle in those parts. Jobs, schools, housing and the other usual C-D issues aren't a concern. Am more interested in hearing about daily life there. Am i going to get rock fever? Also, how are ocean related activities? I've been conditioned from birth not to do anything along those lines North of Point Conception.

i'm sure my perceptions are somewhat outdated as I've not lived in CA for over 20 years. i'd prefer to move next door to Fontucky but the wife can't take the heat due to a medical condition.

Please advise.
The water temperature is nearly indistinguishable from Nor Cal. The weather is better.

Skiers find it the worst place to live, literally the furthest from decent ski areas (and painfully far from the lesser SoCal ones).

Good for surfing, scuba, not so much (turbidity issues).

Great for hiking, hunting, ORVing, etc.

Enough city type stuff to prevent complete boredom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
Reputation: 2622
the one caveat I must toss in there, the sewer system, there has been a huge fight over the sewer system that has to be put in, research the current status and cost per parcel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Carlsbad
331 posts, read 664,987 times
Reputation: 264
If you're used to the cosmopolitan offerings of the big city (restaurants that don't have cheeseburgers on their menu, cultural events, "good" shopping, plus easy access to airport), then you will be very bored in LO.

Yes, it's on on the ocean, but the ocean is COLD. Real cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top