Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:11 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times

Advertisements

There is so much in a state nearly a thousand miles long and 300 miles wide. For instance, the best barbecue in the world is found in and around Santa Maria, and there areas which could be considered paradise near that benighted town

I drove the motorcycle through a nearby valley yesterday. It is Shangri La.

A narrow winding road leads over a mountain and into this lovely valley. A small river flows through it. Parcels range from an acre to 100 acres and much much more. A one room school house centers the community. The land is well drained and fertile, folks along the road place fruit and vegetables in stands with cash boxes, no one mans the stands, just stop, pick out what you need and put the money in the box. Cows drift along the fence lines or sleep in the fields near the grazing dinosaurs (yep). I saw over one hundred wild turkeys feeding in the fields and around homes. There is no store or cafe, but with UPS and the Schwan man there isn't much need to go to town.

The topography is very curious, small steep sided hills covered with lush oak forests rise out of the broad grassy valley, somewhat resembling the Three Gorges landscape of China.

As a kid we spent time out there at roundup time. Father was a highly sought after cook, Santa Maria Style barbecue, chicken, steak, ribs grilled over oak, buckets of salad, pots of Pinquito beans, acres of garlic bread and troughs full of iced sodas. Us kids helped brand, castrate, innoculate and dehorn. We would finish up by riding horses out over the hills to one of several ranch reservoirs and go swimming, the come back to eat real good.

We always wound up with a coffee can of Mountain Oysters to grill up for the unsuspecting townie girls come out from Santa Maria to watch the men and boys at work.

Today the valley is little changed, a few more homes, a bit more farming. But the big ranchos still exist, and cattle still run wild in the hills.

It could be Nevada, or Wyoming, or Montana, except, no snow, and a gentle greenness to the landscape.

I think about places like this when I read the great preponderance of urban related posts on this site. It saddens me to think that Jefferson's dream that America would be a land of yeoman farmers is a distant memory. And I think, as a nation we are the lessor for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 03:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
There is so much in a state nearly a thousand miles long and 300 miles wide. For instance, the best barbecue in the world is found in and around Santa Maria, and there areas which could be considered paradise near that benighted town

I drove the motorcycle through a nearby valley yesterday. It is Shangri La.

A narrow winding road leads over a mountain and into this lovely valley. A small river flows through it. Parcels range from an acre to 100 acres and much much more. A one room school house centers the community. The land is well drained and fertile, folks along the road place fruit and vegetables in stands with cash boxes, no one mans the stands, just stop, pick out what you need and put the money in the box. Cows drift along the fence lines or sleep in the fields near the grazing dinosaurs (yep). I saw over one hundred wild turkeys feeding in the fields and around homes. There is no store or cafe, but with UPS and the Schwan man there isn't much need to go to town.

The topography is very curious, small steep sided hills covered with lush oak forests rise out of the broad grassy valley, somewhat resembling the Three Gorges landscape of China.

As a kid we spent time out there at roundup time. Father was a highly sought after cook, Santa Maria Style barbecue, chicken, steak, ribs grilled over oak, buckets of salad, pots of Pinquito beans, acres of garlic bread and troughs full of iced sodas. Us kids helped brand, castrate, innoculate and dehorn. We would finish up by riding horses out over the hills to one of several ranch reservoirs and go swimming, the come back to eat real good.

We always wound up with a coffee can of Mountain Oysters to grill up for the unsuspecting townie girls come out from Santa Maria to watch the men and boys at work.

Today the valley is little changed, a few more homes, a bit more farming. But the big ranchos still exist, and cattle still run wild in the hills.

It could be Nevada, or Wyoming, or Montana, except, no snow, and a gentle greenness to the landscape.

I think about places like this when I read the great preponderance of urban related posts on this site. It saddens me to think that Jefferson's dream that America would be a land of yeoman farmers is a distant memory. And I think, as a nation we are the lessor for it.
Sounds great - worth rereading with a glass of wine. (OK, now I have an excuse on Sunday afternoon.)

A lot of us would love to enjoy this environment. A lot of us do (I do). Not sure everyone can. (There are some folks in Alabama and the south who might raise a fuss on the best BBQ in the world.)

It saddens me that Jefferson (and his slaves) didn't have 90% of the medical, technical, transportation, communication, and industrial advances we have today due in part to the efficiencies of urban life.

The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson (broken link)

Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM

110 posts, read 753,006 times
what is the name of this valley?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Jefferson had slaves, today most Americans are cubicle and office dwelling slaves. Better to have been one of his slaves, good food, fresh air, satisfying work.

I do not envy the Modern American, Jefferson did not envision the yeoman farmer as a slave owner, but as a self reliant small farmer, it is not hard to find the dichotomies of Jefferson, he really was a hypocrite. fer instance, what did he do for his country during the 10 years of the revolution? That does not negate his vision.

Southerners don't barbecue, they eat barbecue, some strange meat cooked in a metal tank.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:16 PM

eekwine, I cannot release the name of the valley upon penalty of never being invited to another barbecue in it. But, doesn't it make a great research puzzle to ponder? In the midst of all the California bashing, isn't it great to know that the Paradise that once was California still exists in a few places?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 PM

well in many ways you are describing the valley where i live (santa ynez)

Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 PM

or maybe cuyama?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Cuyama and Santa Ynez both have similar characteristics, but, they have cafes and at least in the case of Santa Ynez, stores, it has been so long since I went through Cuyama I forget if they have a store. This valley is closer to what they were 100 years ago. I did attend roundups at many of the old ranches in Santa Ynez valley, one of the perks of being the son of a great cook.

Incidental side note, the once upon a time but long term "gentleman friend" of my sister (who used to work at Santa Ynez Hardware in the nursery section) was a contract painter for Neverland, but since he signed a nondisclosure agreement, we did not hear juicy stories.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 PM

hmmm, well this is at least narrowing down... yes those 'juicy' stories - many locals have heard

Old 09-16-2007, 07:47 PM

how bout sisquoc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California