U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,121,603 times

Advertisements

I know everything is relative to individual preference but wonder what the consensus is on the climates of California.

If you look at the state population it seems most people prefer to live near the coastline where the weather is the mildest in California; rarely hot and never really cold. Inland it is both too hot in the summer and can be chilly on winter nights. The desert areas, especially from Palm Springs to El Centro are the sunniest and warmest all year long but unbearably hot for about 6 months straight.

So what's the opinion about where the best weather can be found in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 PM

56 posts, read 382,455 times
Default Best Climate in California

If you want year round, mild climate,, with several micro climates with in a 30 mile radius,, you will like the Central Coast of California. Pismo Beach can be 65 degrees, any day of the year. It is rare to see a 90 degee day in Pismo in the summer. On the other hand you can see a 90 degree day in the middle of winter. Winter on the Central Coast is rain, and temps that go down to the
30's on the coast and lower 20 miles inland.
Paso Robles which is 30 North east of Pismo Beach same county,, reaches into the 100's in the summer, and gets into the 20's in the winter.. Living on the coast,, you will see very cool evening,,, rarely are there warm evenings,,,
warm evening in Paso Robles, Atascadero,

No snow,, No tornadoes, no hurricanes, I have lived her 50 years and have only experienced one minor earthquake,,,, not big waves,,,, everything is moderate,,,

I don't think you will find a more mild climate ANYWHERE than in San Luis Obispo County,,,, the key is MILD,,, you will find places that are warmer,
hotter, colder,, sunnier, (is that a word),,,, the weather is boring,,, is the BEST, that is up to you,,,,

Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 64,397 times
I'd say the best climate is in Southern California in the beach cities. The climate here is perfect.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 4,707,920 times
And to be more specific, Santa Barbara is touted for having the best Mediterranean climate in the entire world, surpassing even the actual Mediterranean. Lowest it gets in winter is about mid-50's, highest it gets in summer is about high 80's on the average!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,420,854 times
Near the beach around San Diego. My dad has an uncle there who says most of the year it's 75 F.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
805 posts, read 2,460,167 times
Default Central coast

Well, climate preference is very much a subjective thing, but I love the area from Santa Barbara north to about Monterey. Great, comfortable temps, and not a ton of rain but definitely some fog issues. If I could afford it, and Calif didn't have all the other fiscal and social issues, I think Morro Bay would be the place for us.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:13 AM

171 posts, read 560,296 times
Default weather, what weather :)

That is the beauty of California. It can be as diverse as you like it, we have the mild coastal communities, dry hot deserts and four season mountains....

Although very subjective,
I say the best weather in SoCal, is to live 7 to 15 miles inland from the coast......just a short 10 minute drive to the beaches. 55 minutes to the mountains..but....
you get none of the coastal "late night and early morning low clouds"
and very little of the inland "Santa Ana winds bring in the Heat wave again"

We are spoiled. Out in the backyard, I can see the cloudy coastal city as I sit outside with a cold drink and no air conditioning....

Now just dont ask me how the housing market is nor the cost of living.....that's a whole different subject!

North County San Diego

Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 52,422 times
San diego. That's why prices have sky rocketed in the last few years. It used to be that SD was considered the back of beyond. Not any more.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM

668 posts, read 1,981,332 times
Santa Barbara except for the "May Gray" and "June Gloom" that can seem endless. But, if you live in the Santa Barbara foothills you except coastal fog and it is an awesome view!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 41,817 times
Default Southern California's South Bay Is The Best!

The most favorable weather in California is found in the Southern Part of the State, and along the coast. The only trouble is, the median price for homes in the South Bay Cities (Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa Beach) are very prohibitive to the ordinary family.

The median price of homes within three miles of the ocean is around $500,000. Now unless you have a huge down going in, the payments will break your back. It just depends. A downshot about this area is that you do not get the feeling of community, although the people are decent, they tend to stay to themselves. Also, having a yard or lawn here is a luxury. Most lots are 25-foot frontages and there is not much yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California