Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,617,550 times

Advertisements

Good maintenance around your home and having a termite inspection annually will help with termites. However, termites can and do end up in most wood homes at some time or another. Even after a tenting you can find live termites. My husband is a general contractor and has gone into many homes after tenting to do renovations for new owners only to find lots of living termites. Chemicals or heat or whatever is used just does not permeate all wood entirely.

No need to be afraid of termites. But you need to be aware of what causes an infestation so you can avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post

No need to be afraid of termites. But you need to be aware of what causes an infestation so you can avoid them.
Prevention is key. I've never known anyone in CA who had a termite problem. It's not at all a given, and termite-infested properties shouldn't be purchased.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
Unless you have earth wood contact or lots of moisture to facilitate tube building, the only thing to worry about are the dry woods.

I have come to realize there are lots of bogus termite reports. The whole pest control thing is a real racket.

Probably half or less of their jobs are truly necessary.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,465,254 times
Termites are sneaky little things. Caught early, they don't do much damage. You can live in a house for decades and never have a single one but we do get them here in California, especially in the foothills. All those trees!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,617,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Prevention is key. I've never known anyone in CA who had a termite problem. It's not at all a given, and termite-infested properties shouldn't be purchased.
I never said it was a given. And there is a big difference between a termite infested property and finding termites on the property.

I find it strange that you have never known anyone in CA who had a termite problem. Not sure what part of California you live in, but here in the South Bay/Los Angeles area, houses have termites. They swarm annually, going house to house, usually East to West. If there weren't any termites in California, why do we have so many termite companies? I do believe that tenting is a scam as it does not kill all termites.

The worst are the subterranean termites. I had them one year on a rental home as my tenants had a water leak under the house that was not found or noticed which supplied the termites with all the water they needed. I had significant damage which was found upon the annual termite inspection. It took over a year to finally rid the house of the termites. It is now termite free at a cost of about $1,800 to kill the termites and repair their damage. I don't think $1,800 is a reason not to buy a house. This is something the seller usually takes care of.

As I said before, good maintenance around your home and having a termite inspection annually will help.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
I believe termites are due to swarm anyday now. The fruitless mulberry tree that has been on my property for many yrs was cut down last fall cause it was termite infested. I really loved that tree & believe it still had a few yrs left in it but the mgr said it didnt. Now my privacy is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California