Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
But how many of those Silicon valley employees are actual Americans, rather than foreigners with work visas who are undercutting Americans?
Whether or not they are undercutting Americans, many of them are expats. To be at that level of educational attainment coming from the typical non meritocratic developing country (or even class oriented Europe / Japan for that matter) one needs to be at least a 5%er if not a 1%er in their original country. Equipped with an amazing safety net of family money, such individuals can undertake life decisions that the average middle class American cannot begin to comprehend. For example, your parents bought you a house to live in when you were a freshmen in college - and it is in St. Francis Wood. I know someone like this, from Malaysia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
For example, your parents bought you a house to live in when you were a freshmen in college - and it is in St. Francis Wood. I know someone like this, from Malaysia.
Along with the house typically came a new BMW 3 Series and an bottomless bank account to fund the lifestyle. Except this is not just a Bay Area phenomenon and not just applied to immigrants.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
Are the people moving out of California also more likely to be politically conservative?

CKB

Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
May I recommend Mississippi as a destination? We need more skilled migrants who would be comfortable in a red state. Air conditioning is a must, though, as well as antihistamines!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
May I recommend Mississippi as a destination? We need more skilled migrants who would be comfortable in a red state. Air conditioning is a must, though, as well as antihistamines!
More than once I've wondered how I'd do as a shop keeper in Vicksburg!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Only problem is, there is already too much competition for the jobs Nissan brought into Canton and not enough to go around. Maybe they can hire them as full-time Kudzu extraction teams?

Clairitin was like M & M's during my time in the south lol, all that pine straw and southern pine just did a number on me!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Only problem is, there is already too much competition for the jobs Nissan brought into Canton and not enough to go around. Maybe they can hire them as full-time Kudzu extraction teams?
Kudzu Killins 'R Us ...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Apparently the largest number of in migration to Oklahoma is from . . . . California. It's got the relaxed feel of more southern climes but no kudzu and lots of open space. Just don't bring the mentality that we need zillions of little boxes on the hillside make of tickytack and they all look just the same... I just love that a block or two away is open land and the whole town is about two miles big. It all depends on what you want. Instant shopping, not so good. Real clean air with real blue skies, space to breath, low cost of living, yeah, its here. Some of the politics here is well, odd and wonky, but then on the other end of the specturm it is in California. If you miss earthquakes, we even have those, though not so bad...

I've gotten used to 'soon' being sometime in the next few months, and am a quite happy exile who was a third generation California native.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Asians have always stressed getting a top-notch education at many of our very best universities, and we all know which ones; an Asian lady friend of mine told me back in 1997 that the campus joke around UCLA was that it stood for 'University of Caucasians Lost among Asians, which is one of many reasons why it's been the most applied to university in the USA for 12 out of the past 13 years.

It's nobody's 'fault' that UCLA, USC, UC Berkeley & Stanford are loaded with Asian students, and that the Ivy League schools and many other academic powerhouses also have considerable numbers of students from the Far East; why some folks have a problem with that is beyond me.

Theirs is not an entitlement society; if you want to succeed, you have to EARN IT!!!

They also have the lowest rejection rate for mortgage applications of ANY ethnic group, as Dr. Thomas Sowell, a UCLA economics professor back in the seventies, has pointed out in his books.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
It's nobody's 'fault' that UCLA, USC, UC Berkeley & Stanford are loaded with Asian students, and that the Ivy League schools and many other academic powerhouses also have considerable numbers of students from the Far East; why some folks have a problem with that is beyond me.
Perhaps you're refering to a bunch of uneducated rednecks who don't like Chinese students coming to the U.S. and acquiring skills developed by Westerners that can be used to build weapons to be used against China's enemies, both outright and de facto. Such thinking is bad and evil, and these stupid rednecks should be regarded as stupid racists and shunned from our society!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California