Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Correct, But that's strictly a personal preference, or lack thereof. Others like it. Big deal!
Desert can be beautiful. Before it became all houses we went out to Beaumont and it was beautiful. Now it looks like every other place. Mountains have their own beauty. The rising land with all the trees here in OK is also beautiful. You can actuall like them all since they each have their own uniqueness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Desert can be beautiful. Before it became all houses we went out to Beaumont and it was beautiful. Now it looks like every other place. Mountains have their own beauty. The rising land with all the trees here in OK is also beautiful. You can actuall like them all since they each have their own uniqueness.
Just as we love the Ozarks where our hills don't grow up, our valley's grow down, it's perpetually green and we have over 3,000 springs to keep it that way, over 6,000 caves and over 90 rivers including minor ones like the Missouri, White, Arkansas, Buffalo (a national river) and Mississippi.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
The mordor part was in comment suggesting Oklahoma is mordor...
Mordor is south of the Grapevine.

Oklahoma is scenic, but the lack of public land in the east would be a deal killer for me. Where you live is always a choice. The West to many, is far more than a place. The vast wide open public lands appeal to the heart and soul of the adventurer.

I lived up until a few years ago amidst a million acres of National Forest, connected to millions upon millions of acres of public land. My daughters could come home, saddle up their horse and move out at a cantor, for hours, no fences, just forest, rocks and lakes.

I could crank up my dual sport, or jeep, and ride/drive 400 miles to the Snake River Valley [Boise Idaho] and I would cross three paved roads in that entire distance. I like that stuff.

We could saddle the horses, pack the mules and travel south on the Pacific Crest Trail 500 miles to Tehachapi, crossing 7 paved roads, the last 300 miles, one paved road, all in California.

Or north to the Oregon border, about 400 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail, crossing 8 paved roads.

Now, it isn't so important that I do this, it is important that I, and millions of others can.

Our Western public lands are a national treasure, millions upon millions of Californians use the 43% of California that is public land. Even more Americans use our Western public lands.

The ability to go into the woods for weeks at a time, speaks to my heart and soul, and to millions of Americans who do so. and the even more millions who go for shorter lengths of time.

I was recently at Kennedy Meadows at 6,000 feet east of Sonora, there was a steady stream of pack mules packing in families to lakes and creeks for their vacations.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
^^^^^ this ...
and an opportunity to share with others who care, an expose' of how R.Money (that would be Romney for those not yet had their morning coffee) has an agenda to get rid of much western public land:
The Geography of Nope - NYTimes.com

Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Where you live is always a choice.
Be still my heart. He finaly gets it. Good job!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
^^^^^ this ...
and an opportunity to share with others who care, an expose' of how R.Money (that would be Romney for those not yet had their morning coffee) has an agenda to get rid of much western public land:
The Geography of Nope - NYTimes.com
That's a non-starter! Alfred E. Newman is looking better and better as a write-in all the time.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
That's a non-starter! Alfred E. Newman is looking better and better as a write-in all the time.
I have rallied for Alfred every election since the 50's ...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Either way you look at it we have either:

Romama or Obaney running for office.

Life will change, unfortunately not for the better.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 47,793 times
This is a very bizarre thread. I've read most of it, so allow me to summarize some of the highlights:
-CA has no problems
-CA real estate is inexpensive
-The Bay Area is not part of Northern California
-Traffic isn't very bad
-CA: love it or leave it
-Detroit has always been a ****hole (!)

It's cool that you guys like your state so much, but at some point you've got to acknowledge that the emperor has no clothes.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblu View Post
This is a very bizarre thread. I've read most of it, so allow me to summarize some of the highlights:
-CA has no problems
-CA real estate is inexpensive
-The Bay Area is not part of Northern California
-Traffic isn't very bad
-CA: love it or leave it
-Detroit has always been a ****hole (!)

It's cool that you guys like your state so much, but at some point you've got to acknowledge that the emperor has no clothes.
since you don't appear to live there... how would you know WHAT the emperor is wearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California