U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,434,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Apparently the largest number of in migration to Oklahoma is from . . . . California. It's got the relaxed feel of more southern climes but no kudzu and lots of open space. Just don't bring the mentality that we need zillions of little boxes on the hillside make of tickytack and they all look just the same... I just love that a block or two away is open land and the whole town is about two miles big.
Yes, because there are no places like that in California.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM

19,122 posts, read 11,157,692 times
Well it took over 80 years but the Okies are finally moving back to OK. A sort of reverse Grapes of Wrath kind of thing.

The most surprising revelation of this thread is that Mr. brevity used an emoticon. People truly can change.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,434,593 times
Don't get used to it, 'mano.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,450,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Asians have always stressed getting a top-notch education at many of our very best universities, and we all know which ones; an Asian lady friend of mine told me back in 1997 that the campus joke around UCLA was that it stood for 'University of Caucasians Lost among Asians, which is one of many reasons why it's been the most applied to university in the USA for 12 out of the past 13 years.

It's nobody's 'fault' that UCLA, USC, UC Berkeley & Stanford are loaded with Asian students, and that the Ivy League schools and many other academic powerhouses also have considerable numbers of students from the Far East; why some folks have a problem with that is beyond me.

Theirs is not an entitlement society; if you want to succeed, you have to EARN IT!!!

They also have the lowest rejection rate for mortgage applications of ANY ethnic group, as Dr. Thomas Sowell, a UCLA economics professor back in the seventies, has pointed out in his books.
It's all a matter of numbers ...
China's population :
1,338,299,512 - 2010
Source: World Bank

India population :
Google Public Data Explorer
1,170,938,000 - 2010

Japan population :
127,450,459 - 2010

South korean Population :
48,875,000 - 2010

US Population :
311,591,917 - Jul 2011
Source: U.S. Census Bureau

I love it how recent immigrants who were given the grace to enter this country turn their noses up to the sky (many of them often 1-5%'ers back in their home country) and talk about 'earning it' .. The US has a 1/3rd of china's population .. a 1/3rd of India's .. When your parents are millionaires in your home country ... and you have access to the best education and resources .. and get a paid ride, a nice bmw.. a house .. and can take all the risks you want because you have a safety net the size of texas.. you aren't 'earning' anything.. you are playing the strong hand you are dealt w/ limited risk.

When such H1B sponsored visa individuals get in a company and engage in discriminatory hiring and the company turns into a taste of india/china as a result.. you aren't earning anything either ....

As an American used to not having to deal w/ such foolishness among a diverse group of people, the bay area is less attractive when I feel like I am in a foreign country and am looked at weird because of the color of my skin as if I don't fit in ... As if I am in the wrong place... and I hear 2-5 different languages all day long except English ... Go to universities around the U.S and you will find more than enough competent American students ... Doesn't work in your favor when you go to interview w/ a panel of people who hardly know how to speak English ... Don't understand or know about the vast variety of American Universities and how education works here ... Carries foolish and ignorant biases/views from their home country and culture to the workplace which results in biased treatment .. The U.S has 50 states, go to top Universities outside the mecca of 1-5%'ER H1B-Visas and let me know how how many Asian people you see .. and the most ridiculous part is the arrogance people have who just recently came to this country... I always think, if you're so proud and holy and your country/people are so great then wtf are you here to get your education... to get a job? pfft.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM

853 posts, read 413,718 times
Oh look, another bash California thread.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Perhaps you're refering to a bunch of uneducated rednecks who don't like Chinese students coming to the U.S. and acquiring skills developed by Westerners that can be used to build weapons to be used against China's enemies, both outright and de facto. Such thinking is bad and evil, and these stupid rednecks should be regarded as stupid racists and shunned from our society!
What happens when you are speaking to a multi-generation American who went to such a University who came from poverty, isn't a 1-5%'er and walked circles all day around the holy chinese students...

The issue is the arrogant tone and the myopic view made by such statements which disregards the uniqueness of economic standing and opportunity such students came from ...

It's no one's fault and from the tone of such ridiculous commentary, it begs the question as if Asians are genetically superior.. When people come to this country on their own .. Guess what :

According to the London Daily Times[dubious – discuss] "Black Africans have emerged as the most highly educated members of British society, surpassing even the Chinese as the most academically successful ethnic minority."[25] In a side-by-side comparison of 2000 census data by sociologists including John R. Logan at the Mumford Center, State University of New York at Albany, black immigrants from Africa averaged the highest educational attainment of any population group in the U.S., including whites and Asians.
Model minority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder what Universities would look like if immigration was more fair and people of non-Asian descent who are at the top wrungs of their country were allowed to come to the U.S .. Again, it's just a big game of numbers and only an ignorant/arrogant person would sit back and try to act like Asians 'truly' dominant .. It's a lie.. a big one.. The U.S has a population of ~300million+ people .. China has 3x that population .. India has 3x and both countries dominant immigration.. The rich/affluent immigrate here dis-proportionally and thus the skewed results...

And no, i've encountered foolishness from day one of being around a lot of internationals ... In college, it was the : you only got in because you're black .. as I continued to do better on just about everything than them.. In interviews it is the same.. In the workplace it is the same .. When you have a bunch of arrogant immigrants on H1B-Visas and their first generation of kids thinking they are better than the people in the country around them that don't look like them, you will have big issues .. Luckily this phenomenon is largely local to CA... Great exodus...? seems the dumb Americans have had enough and are looking for places where it feels more like 'home'..

Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Ignorant redneck .. Ignorant immigrant w/ a piece of paper/money .. Same difference.. they both are ignorant .. And yes, if you are an American who worked in tech in the bay area at some of the old guard tech companies, you've seen more than your share of discrimination and foolishness .. And yes, companies hire people on H1B-visas all the time even when there is a qualified American to work the job ... It's as simple as having a team that is full of recent immigrants/H1B-visa holders consulting their 'community' when a req. is opened and not giving an American a fair shot ... Woops, time for a new visa ..

The many times when one needs to learn on the job but an Asian person doesn't extend the same hand or opportunity as they would for their own...

And then you have the ones that come over fraudulently under a work visa who are really only here to train before taking the knowledge from dumb redneck Americans back home after some years as the whole U.S department is LR'd for cost savings and the work shifted over to India/China/etc... Happens everyday in tech and only a fool/liar would sit back and act like there are no qualified Americans to work the job.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM

949 posts, read 981,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
As an American used to not having to deal w/ such foolishness among a diverse group of people, the bay area is less attractive when I feel like I am in a foreign country and am looked at weird because of the color of my skin as if I don't fit in ... As if I am in the wrong place... and I hear 2-5 different languages all day long except English ... Go to universities around the U.S and you will find more than enough competent American students ... Doesn't work in your favor when you go to interview w/ a panel of people who hardly know how to speak English ... Don't understand or know about the vast variety of American Universities and how education works here ... Carries foolish and ignorant biases/views from their home country and culture to the workplace which results in biased treatment .. The U.S has 50 states, go to top Universities outside the mecca of 1-5%'ER H1B-Visas and let me know how how many Asian people you see .. and the most ridiculous part is the arrogance people have who just recently came to this country... I always think, if you're so proud and holy and your country/people are so great then wtf are you here to get your education... to get a job? pfft.
Were you not planning on moving to Orlando?? I mean, much of what you say is evident here in the greater Miami area and even in Orlando. The flood gates are wide open, it's too late to close them. Odds are unless your relocating to middle America or some small rural town for a job you won't find it and most metro areas will have staff of multi-ethnic backgrounds. Maybe in Ocala or Jax you may avoid it, but keep in mind the Good'ole Boy Club is alive and well down here and especially in the real south north of Orlando. They don't like Yankees and it doesn't matter what color you are. Another thing if you did not go to UF that can be detrimental to gaining access to the club down here. Again, I repeat it doesn't matter if you went to a prestigious school from the northeast like MIT, your still not welcome in the club. Doesn't matter if you can work circles around your co-worker, as long as your Boss has the favoritism going, it's over. I also seen Chinese and non Americans be shut out where I work, not taken seriously. So not often does being such = success.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,020,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
You should really inform yourself through a greater variety of sources than a single article. At the very least, one where the author leaves out information that is inconvenient because it doesn't adhere to his "anything goes" view on economics.

The primary problem with the cost of housing in California has a lot to do with the ease of anyone qualifying for a loan several years ago, which artificially inflated the cost of housing. Additional factors include regional housing costs, such as in the Bay Area, and middle-class families that have come to overwhelm themselves with expensive vehicles, televisions, phone bills, and just not budgeting their income. The actual restriction on development is limited to a handful of select locations throughout California and few of those have any real potential to impact the prices of housing for the middle-class. In many areas of California there are now more houses than people who could qualify to buy them because the reality of the situation is developers overbuilt in their quest to profit from the housing boom.

And middle-class jobs haven't just left California. They've left for other countries.
I don't agree with you. Certain housing markets in the major CA metro areas, priced out middle class already, prior to the easy financing....the latest fiasco simply worsened it.

Also, we see, directly here in san diego, many jobs that [in an already under paying market, which SD is notorious for], are paying even less, with large companies like qualcomm and scripps, etc, going to visa employees from india, china, korea. I live in the neighborhood where they do; i meet people first hand. For them, it's high paying for the stint they have here, maybe renewed, kids are in a top school system. They work hard and earn it, and have the education for it, true. But just to add to the jobs going overseas, is the recruitment of workers who will gladly take less and be happy about it. [And, no, not all of said visa holders come from money. They may be middle class, but not rich, in their home countries.]

That said, the blurb the OP posted is dead on, from my 10 years in san diego, and speaking with my spouse who is a SD native (and unfortunately did not buy early nor inherit money). I wish I could say the article quote is reactionary; where I am, it is increasingly true.

And, have you been to LA lately? I've lived in 3rd world cities, and every time I visit, including very wealthy friends who live there, I find it more and more akin to said reality. It may have been a little bit skewed in that direction 30 years ago; now, it virtually IS the very rich elite and the majority poor. You see it when you walk around. That and all the gen x/y/z [of which i am one] who are 'cultural creatives' which has equated to service workers, even in arts and healthcare genres, and don't make enough to purchase a home or even rent one.

note: I did not read the whole thread.

Last edited by lrmsd; 04-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Were you not planning on moving to Orlando?? I mean, much of what you say is evident here in the greater Miami area and even in Orlando. The flood gates are wide open, it's too late to close them. Odds are unless your relocating to middle America or some small rural town for a job you won't find it and most metro areas will have staff of multi-ethnic backgrounds. Maybe in Ocala or Jax you may avoid it, but keep in mind the Good'ole Boy Club is alive and well down here and especially in the real south north of Orlando. They don't like Yankees and it doesn't matter what color you are. Another thing if you did not go to UF that can be detrimental to gaining access to the club down here. Again, I repeat it doesn't matter if you went to a prestigious school from the northeast like MIT, your still not welcome in the club. Doesn't matter if you can work circles around your co-worker, as long as your Boss has the favoritism going, it's over. I also seen Chinese and non Americans be shut out where I work, not taken seriously. So not often does being such = success.
Miami, I never lived there.. Yes, Miami has the same issue due the immigration flood which is why many people, aside from the occasional night life outing, avoid it.. It's become a remote headquarters of Latin America. All of this is fine if it weren't for the arrogance and discrimination/etc.

Issue is not present in Orlando.. Sorry to inform you of that .. but most of the sane people fled South Florida/Miami area at the height of the housing boom and settled in Orlando... South Florida used to be fine mainly in Broward county .. Then, after hurricane andrew when insurance payouts hit, all of the crazies moved into broward county along w/ their arrogance, idiocy, foolishness .. At which point, people moved more north..

You seem to forget about UCF b.t.w which is the major university in Orlando and arguably better STEM program (beats UF all the time in competitions/etc).

So, yes.. All over the U.S and world.. when you have too much immigration.. illegal immigration.. etc, you have all sorts of issues .. People immigrate and don't assimilate because people like them have reached critical mass in a locale'.. A big issue when they take over a large chunk of middle class jobs and engage in discriminatory hiring and foolishness in the workplace.. And yes, people see this and leave .. No metro has ever remained as it was forever.. people move and shift around.. growth spreads.. what was 'the place' to be then might not be the place to be now..

In the suburb i lived in, the school quality (score avg./etc) literally fell through the floor w/ the flood of people from dade county.. crime increased.. discrimination.. arrogance .. stores became taken over .. discrimination was common place.. Yeah, this is just an extension of crooked miami .. and guess what? many people gave up .. sold for a huge gain and moved up north for cheaper.. and so the area becomes even more dominated .. and even less desirable for those who don't look like those who occupy it .. Country fought long and hard to cut back on segregation .. and well, here we go again. Got a good degree/education/skill you can go wherever you want.. So, no.. you're not restricted to any particular place.

To be fair, the northeast suffers the least from these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California