Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I've never understood the draw of bathtub-warm water in hot, sticky climes.
People in Florida have frog genes in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 AM

129 posts, read 316,649 times
I prefer California to Florida, but it is nice to actually be able to get into the water there. The water is just too cold in CA. I have to agree that there is nothing refreshing about a Florida beach in August, though.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Given that I'm from FL (for which the poster probably is not) and actually grew up there .. nothing is blowing the bloom off my rose. The temps of the water at the beaches is actually suitable for a human body, go make something of the weather and take a trip to the beach.

But yes, FL is a swamp .. Everyone stay the @#%* out .. Please stay where you are if you're in California and if where you are isn't California .. Please get on the first bus out and pack it in.
Only problem is Orlando is not even close to the beach, you are going to be missing out on the ease of being close to the beach. For me it's a 15 minute drive if that and you also will not get that nice sea breeze so far inland. Orlando and South Florida are night and day on the weather, landscape and scenery. Less palm trees too.

Only concern about a Bay Area transition is the fact it's so far from the ocean, and not easily accessible or even useful for anything just gazing. The fog and often cloudy chilly weather there along with that smell in Milpitas would be a change. I lived here long enough now that I'm used to the warm weather. Reason I'm thinking San Diego will be even better on the climate, but the water there will shrink the family jewels just as fast lol.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Only concern about a Bay Area transition is the fact it's so far from the ocean, and not easily accessible or even useful for anything just gazing. The fog and often cloudy chilly weather there along with that smell in Milpitas would be a change. I lived here long enough now that I'm used to the warm weather. Reason I'm thinking San Diego will be even better on the climate, but the water there will shrink the family jewels just as fast lol.
I had no idea the Bay Arae was far from the ocean. Not sure how we have a chilly climate with marine layer being so far away

San Diego's beaches are good for swimming in the summer. Unlike the beaches that are so far away in San Francisco for example, the water in SD does warm up. Not Florida bath water warm but it does get to about 70. Sometimes during El Nino years it may get to about 75 but this is rare. Also, San Diego, like the Bay Area has microclimates. Not quite as pronounced as the Bay Area but still noticeable. Don't expect 80 degree weather at the beaches too often in SD. However when the air temperature is 76 and the water near 70, it's still nice all the same. San Diego averages a few degrees warmer than the Bay Area apples to apples but remember, both regions are still in the Mediterranean zone so SD's weather will still be overwhelmingly more similar to the Bay Area than Florida's.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I had no idea the Bay Arae was far from the ocean. Not sure how we have a chilly climate with marine layer being so far away

San Diego's beaches are good for swimming in the summer. Unlike the beaches that are so far away in San Francisco for example, the water in SD does warm up. Not Florida bath water warm but it does get to about 70. Sometimes during El Nino years it may get to about 75 but this is rare. Also, San Diego, like the Bay Area has microclimates. Not quite as pronounced as the Bay Area but still noticeable. Don't expect 80 degree weather at the beaches too often in SD. However when the air temperature is 76 and the water near 70, it's still nice all the same. San Diego averages a few degrees warmer than the Bay Area apples to apples but remember, both regions are still in the Mediterranean zone so SD's weather will still be overwhelmingly more similar to the Bay Area than Florida's.
I'm comparing it to Miami on a beach accessibility level, I'm 15 minutes from the Ocean on a good day and that includes finding parking. There is not much along the coast in Nor Cal aside from Santa Cruz, not many beach towns or population it's very desolate. If I lived in Milpitas for example, it would be a drive to get to the water in bad traffic.

The desolate beach line south of Pacifica is also good, because the natural landscape is unspoiled, but Florida still has more coastline than all of CA and much of it is also unspoiled and usable. I would not mind the colder water, but after living here it would take some time to adjust. On average in mid summer water temps in Miami are around the low to mid 80's. The air temperature and humidity help make it feel warm, but the sea breeze is very strong.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM

407 posts, read 388,571 times
Why on earth would someone drive this

When they can drive this at a small fraction of the cost, and not have to slave away at the office to pay for it?

Please explain. It makes absolutely no sense. With less than the downpayment for the Bentley I can get a KIA, paid free and clear. And both will get you from point A to point B! You idiots that want luxury vehicles can have them. I'll take the Kia and live comfortable with more money in my pocket.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Why on earth would someone drive this

When they can drive this at a small fraction of the cost, and not have to slave away at the office to pay for it?
I don't know, if my net worth was $10 million+, I might opt for the fancy car as it would have virtually no impact on my financial well being - I could still do pretty much anything I would ever want to do, whenever I wanted to do it. But I have to work for a living, so I drive a Honda Civic.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM

407 posts, read 388,571 times
Why not ride a bike or use public transportation and have even more money in your pocket?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I don't know anyone who drives a Bentley, so I can't answer your question. I buy used cast off vehicles, drive them into the ground, then lather rinse repeat.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I don't know anyone who drives a Bentley, so I can't answer your question. I buy used cast off vehicles, drive them into the ground, then lather rinse repeat.
I have a van you might be interested in ... Only 264,000 miles and still full of pep ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California