Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
.. This means the brightest minds in the world buy into propaganda and work like slaves making some of the most foolish things sometimes in order to hopefully get bought out/IPO and barely get enough to just afford a home... It's what is referred to as 'artificial competition' and most often results in sub-optimal output as the motivation is not genuine... But lets dive in ..

Let me know where on this site your geographic location plays any significant part in how successful your venture is :
Start your project — Kickstarter

Pebble Watch Kickstarter breaks $4.5 million - SlashGear
No peanut headed VC firm needed. No, 'you gotta be in California to make it happen' applied... A person w/ an idea using technology to get it to the consumer... The world changes everyday .. It was once thought that Amazon would be a dud .. Look at it now ..
Amazon Q1 profit blows estimates away - Apr. 26, 2012

In 2012 w/ a mature global economy, geographic location is becoming less and less relevant to success.. The hold the valley used to have was on centralization of VC funding ... Solution : Distributed direct funding from consumers .. A couple of bright minds living in timbuktu can come up w/ an idea tonight, put it on the web and receive millions in funding directly from consumers ... Competition is global and no longer local .. Commerce is now on the web and becoming moreso ..

Hollywood puts on the movies and propaganda pieces .. MTV puts on the propaganda pieces .. travel magazine puts out the pieces and suddenly you have to be in location X to enjoy life .. then comes the herd trampling each other to get here.. packing into every corner they can making life uncomfortable.. The future is about people being empowered and being put in more direct contact w/ each other.. Geographic location, as the trend has been, will become less and less important. You will be competing w/ the guy down the street as much as the guy half a world away. Life is going to be more about financial security and comfort of living and less about following the herd at a premium to be where someone in a magazine calls 'hot'.. Starving artists not able to survive and tired of living 4-5 people deep in a crusty 2 bedroom apt. for $3-4k a month to try and live the hollywood dream .. Packs up there stuff and goes elsewhere and thrives... Enterprising restaurant owner sees 40 restaurants that all do the same thing in location x and sees none that do in location y.. Location X requires 10x the capital as location y... Opens up a store in location y and thrives ..

Artist comes in for a bite and says hey.. Mind if i put my art up on the wall .. it will decorate the place for free and allow me to showcase my art for sale to support me ... Go for it

Art flies off the walls...

No need to live where a magazine says is hot to be a good artist ... a successful business owner .. Carve your own niche.. Create the culture/diversity you seek .. albeit on the cheap ..
No need to worry about how you are going to survive/eat whoring yourself out on venice beach...

The future is ever changing ... Diversity, good food, opportunity, and culture and in many other places than California.. Sadly many people get brainwashed by the propaganda.. O'well ...
I decided to go down to L.A for a vacation recently (I live in Norcal) .. Downtown felt like a bomb went off and unleashed the zombie apocalypse .. I felt like I was stuck in a feature film from the 80's except that the bums had taken over Downtown .. Toy district/fashion district felt like the worst of all flea markets I have ever been to in Miami .. I was on high alert the whole time while walking around w/ my g/f...

Beverly hills wasn't as big as I thought it was .. the homes either for how much they cost .. Have seen bigger and flashier ones that costs less than 500k .. but I guess when you are surrounded by a slum, you have to go in complete excess to set yourself apart ... L.A felt like there was a BIG divide between the have/have nots...
the main hollywood strip where they have movie premiers looked like a slum.. The music studios are in the ghetto .. venice beach felt like a slum where all the bums hang out .. Santa monica was nice but no different than other mixed use development areas i've been too .. Manhattan beach was beautiful .. *4 stars... and is the more tucked away spot ...

... Rodeo drive was a joke .. Seemed like a place for rich people to dump gobs of money just to feel important .. I have never seen soo many strip malls and used luxury car dealerships (I guess everyone is trying to look wealthy) in my life ... As a whole it felt like one big strip mall in decline .. But .. But.. compare the reality to the depiction in movies/shows.. I was like omfg, is this a joke? I felt scammed x100

I tend to be that 1 guy out of 100 .. who, when everyone agrees on the same garbage, jumps up and strongly disagrees.. Gets people to justify and substantiate their claims .. Many times in life I've found when I shake a tree that all sorts of b.s flies out of it .. Many people never question things.. If a magazine says x is where you have to be .. a movie .. they are gonna do everything they can to get there or die trying .. once there they'll brainwash themselves into believing its the best place on earth .. Sorry, i'm .. yeah.. that guy .. I know people dislike me for it .. but meh', I like to live life eyes wide open and challenge status quo and dominant consensus .. On average i've found mostly bull&#$* when I do.

Speak of the devil as I check out market news ...
L.A. still seeks its footing 20 years after riots - MarketWatch
I don't believe much of anything the media tells me and I still think LA is one of the greatest cities on earth IMO.

Thats good that you went off the beaten path.

On one side people yes are lured by the images of glamour, on the other hand you have those who come here to LA to visit, and focus too much on a single spot.

LA is the classic case as you must see the forest for the trees. Whatever spot you happen to be in, if it feels underwhelming, you always have to consider the gazillion other litle bit size cools spots all over LA County. And how they fit together as a region.

For example, yes Rodeo dr. is just a tourist trap, yet there are some cool affordable lounges tucked away. For example, I've been the Vampire Lounge and Tasting Room on Santa Monica in Beverly Hills. Great place if you like wine-the place feels like a castly. And if you go up to a high spot in Beverly Hills there is an amazing little Park called Greystone Park. Its a historic mansion, normally you can't go inside (might has wedding receptions/conferences) but the ground are beautiful.

So, you went downtown. Did you go to El Pueblo/Olvera St and step back in time into a charming Mexican Village. Or try authentic sushi in Little Tokyo? Or go inside the historic Biltmore Hotel??

Venice Beach has great places to eat on Washington off the beach. Also Abbot Kinney Blvd. is fun. I'm glad you liked Santa Monica, but if the Pier and 3rd st. promenade is too touristy, Main St. Santa Monica south of the 10 is more of a neighborhood feel. And Ocean Park Blvd. Park is a better beach IMO.

The whole thing about Hollywood is that people don't understand its history. Hollywood is really just one neighborhood. The first neighborhood where the film industry really started, but in the matter of a few years in the 1920s the studios started to scatter to other areas of LA especially over the hill in Universal City and Burbank. While there were many studios in Hollywood itself only Paramount remained. Yet, Hollywood became so synonymous with the film industry that it simply stuck, even though the golden years, the 1920s of Hollywood neighborhood were in the past and the neighborhood became neglected by the 60s and 70s. In the last 20 years there has been an obvious revitilization effort. But, yes once you get away from Hollywood Blvd or even Sunset, it does get very gritty quick. But that is no different from any other historic neighborhood in any other city, that has declined and been blighted and recently become gentrified.

Plus, you have an incredible variety of natural landscapes within an hour and a half drive of LA. Whatever outdoor pursuits you are interested in. This is a Mediterranean climate, the same climate that western civilization started in in Greece, Italy, Israel, Turkey.

Frankly, I find LA more real, because the nice areas are often not that far from areas that are a little run-down. I kind of find Chicago fake, because you have a spectacular beautiful downtown linked by a conitnuous stretch of nice neighborhoods to the north, while the whole south side is no better than Detroit, MI. A side that tourists never see.

But thats just me, I'm a big picture, geographic minded person. I think of myself as walking on an aerial photo. Some people are brainwashed by propoganda and the media. However many others don't give it a chance, and don't understand that LA is a city that you have to do your homework to fully appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California