U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 AM

130 posts, read 27,401 times
Default Why is Obama ahead in this state which he has screwed over?

It amazes me to no end how a state with the world's 5th largest economy has been screwed over by this administration. Think about it, he has bailed out other states like Ohio, and Illinois which once had much higher unemployment rates, at the expense of this state. Now this state has a higher unemployment rate than Ohio and other similar states that Obama bailed out.

Why the heck is he in the running here, let alone being in the lead?

There is no reason at all why a first class state like California should ever have a higher unemployment rate than a state like Ohio...Come on!!! Also. why isn't Jerry Brown being recalled? As I recall(pun intended) Gray Davis was recalled for a much milder recession which was blamed on him.

Last edited by maurb; 04-25-2012 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,576,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
It amazes me to no end how a state with the world's 5th largest economy has been screwed over by this administration. Think about it, he has bailed out other states like Ohio, and Illinois which once had much higher unemployment rates, at the expense of this state. Now this state has a higher unemployment rate than Ohio and other similar states that Obama bailed out.

Why the heck is he in the running here, let alone being in the lead?

There is no reason at all why a first class state like California should ever have a higher unemployment rate than a state like Ohio...Come on!!! Also. why isn't Jerry Brown being recalled? As I recall(pun intended) Gray Davis was recalled for a much milder recession which was blamed on him.
Just as I would ask anyone blaming high gas prices on Obama, please tell us exactly what you would have him do to fix Californias problems. Or are you just another Limbaugh/Hannity blowhard who does alot of whining/moaning/blaming, but offer no solutions? So Maurb--What power does ANY President have to lower gas prices or help fix any states economy that that states legislature and Governor doesnt already have?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 AM

6,390 posts, read 2,863,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Just as I would ask anyone blaming high gas prices on Obama, please tell us exactly what you would have him do to fix Californias problems. Or are you just another Limbaugh/Hannity blowhard who does alot of whining/moaning/blaming, but offer no solutions? So Maurb--What power does ANY President have to lower gas prices or help fix any states economy that that states legislature and Governor doesnt already have?
Thank you for that. Some people seem to have mistaken Obama for God.... go figure

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
He might not be to blame for the high unemployment happening in the first place but he is to blame for the blattant neglect of this state while he's been bailing out others in the mid-west, via the auto bailouts and the manufacturing sector. He has don'e nothing for the more important coastal region states like this one. Seriously- you think it's fine that this state has a higher unemployment rate than the likes of Ohio, Illinios, Michigan, or Pennsylvania??? That has never happened before in my lifetime. This is a first class state for pete's sake!!!

*disclaimer* I'm not a Republican or Romney supporter and I sure as heck don't listen to Hannity or Rush.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
He might not be to blame for the high unemployment happening in the first place but he is to blame for the blattant neglect of this state while he's been bailing out others in the mid-west, via the auto bailouts and the manufacturing sector. He has don'e nothing for the more important coastal region states like this one.

*disclaimer* I'm not a Republican or Romney supporter and I sure as heck don't listen to Hannity or Rush.
What would you have him do?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What would you have him do?
For starters, stop throwing money away on the Auto sector(his backyard states) and lower taxes on industries like the high tech ones here that actually contribute something to the economy.

Basically, he's been redistributing the high unemployment from the rust belt(where it belongs) to states like here...Why you're not ashamed or embarrassed to have a higher unemployment rate than states like Ohio is beyond me.

Also, I'd like to know why it was OK to recall Gray Davis who happened to be a fairly competent governor(compared to Arnold and Jerry Brown) but you won't recall Jerry Brown. I'm not saying the economy is Jerry's fault but neither was it Gray Davis's fault and that was a much milder recession. For one thing CA didn't have a higher unemployment rate than the Rust Belt under Davis.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,576,083 times
Quote:
He might not be to blame for the high unemployment happening in the first place but he is to blame for the blattant neglect of this state while he's been bailing out others in the mid-west, via the auto bailouts and the manufacturing sector. He has don'e nothing for the more important coastal region states like this one. Seriously- you think it's fine that this state has a higher unemployment rate than the likes of Ohio, Illinios, Michigan, or Pennsylvania??? That has never happened before in my lifetime. This is a first class state for pete's sake!!!

You DO realize dont you that it wasnt just the autoworkers in Michigan,Ohio and Illinois who had thier jobs saved by the auto bailout? How about the 1 or 2 MILLION people who make the needed auto parts that would have lost jobs if GM,Chrysler and Ford had been allowed to go under? Just when did a California job become more important than an Indiana job? Maybe we should work on the economy with facts not emotions.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
For starters, stop throwing money away on the Auto sector(his backyard states) and lower taxes on industries like the high tech ones here that actually contribute something to the economy.

Basically, he's been redistributing the high unemployment from the rust belt(where it belongs) to states like here...Why you're not ashamed or embarrased to have a higher unemployment rate than states like Ohio is beyond me.
I see, so, Bush's auto bailout was bad, yet it saved tens of thousands of jobs including parts suppliers in California.

Lowering taxes and raising the deficit is good... mmmm

I am not the least bit embarrassed about unemployment stats, I haven't had a real job in 5 years, and have lots of time to go hiking and fishing.

Besides, high unemployment in CA is by choice. There are plenty of jobs in the fields. If folks went to work in the fields where they are needed, CA unemployment would drop, considerable..

Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I see, so, Bush's auto bailout was bad, yet it saved tens of thousands of jobs including parts suppliers in California.

Lowering taxes and raising the deficit is good... mmmm

I am not the least bit embarrassed about unemployment stats, I haven't had a real job in 5 years, and have lots of time to go hiking and fishing.

Besides, high unemployment in CA is by choice. There are plenty of jobs in the fields. If folks went to work in the fields where they are needed, CA unemployment would drop, considerable..

In my opinion, the Bush/Obama bailout never should have happened. GM and Chrysler are perfectly expendable companies and Ford, Toyota, Honda(need I go on?) would have been more than happy to step up in place of those two has been companies.

Parts suppliers???Don't kid yourself- Those jobs are in the mid-west. They should be here but they're not. The ones that are here, are primarily for the foreign companies, the ones that didn't get bailed out.

Unemployment might not be your choice but I'm sure there are plenty of others who would beg to differ with your theory.

Again, I'm not posting out of some political agenda. I'm sure McCain or Romney would have pulled the same gimmicks Obama did. However, the bottom line is Obama has done it and he's getting away with it here, in a state he could never win without.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM

9,319 posts, read 7,561,980 times
Quote:

A couple of things:

1. Pennsylvania was never a major player in the automotive industry regardless of its industrial past. Most of what was manufactured in Pennsylvania was advanced materials -- steel, aluminum, glass, chemicals, etc. Were those used by the automotive industry? Yes, but they were also used by many other manufacturing sectors as well. In terms of finished products like cars and the parts therein, that was the specialty of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, primarily. New York was in the same boat as Pennsylvania, specializing in advanced materials. That's why both states lost all their industry first and most thoroughly, and why their economies were inert during the 1990's.

2. Just because something has never happened before in your life doesn't necessarily mean that it cannot, or should not, ever happen. Quite frankly, the mentality of your post is exactly the mentality that states like Pennsylvania had back in the 1970's that resulted in economic collapse a generation ago. Lessons were learned the hard way during the 1970's and 1980's. Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall. As a state, California has a very high opinion of itself, and if it's not careful, then it, too, might collapse economically. Nothing lasts forever, whether it be good times in California or bad times in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California