U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,033,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Hopefully, never. Belief in God is enshrined in the California constitution. From the Preamble:

"We, the People of the State of California, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, in order to secure and perpetuate its blessings, do establish this Constitution."

The same is true of most state constitutions. The founders of this country and our respective states agreed that belief in God was necessary for good citizenship. I think we Californians need to get back to our roots.
It depends what district we're talking about.

I suspected the late Tom Lantos was an atheist, as he said religion played no role in his life. Given that his district was composed of parts of San Francisco and parts of northern San Mateo County, I don't think the voters in his district would have minded if he came out. Likewise, if Jackie Speier - who represents the same district now - was an atheist, or Pelosi was an atheist, or if Henry Waxman was an atheist, and made their atheism public, I don't think they'd have anything to lose. OTOH, if Jim Costa, Tom McClintock, or Kevin McCarthy came out as atheists, they'd risk alienating many of their constituents. Maxine Waters and Barbara Lee would, too.

Contrary to assumptions about certain ethnic groups and religiosity, it appears that voters in Hayward and San Leandro don't mind being represented by Stark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,142,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Hopefully, never. Belief in God is enshrined in the California constitution. From the Preamble:

"We, the People of the State of California, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, in order to secure and perpetuate its blessings, do establish this Constitution."

The same is true of most state constitutions. The founders of this country and our respective states agreed that belief in God was necessary for good citizenship. I think we Californians need to get back to our roots.
And yet I have challenged you many times to find a flaw in my citizenship in spite of my lack of belief in god. I have out served you, out performed, and out sacrificed you in every respect of citizenship. And millions of other non-believers have as well. Your premise is based on your fear-based fantasies that your god will favor you -- and not on any real concern for your fellow mankind -- as you so often demonstrate by your condemnations of other folks whose only "failings" are that they don't conform to your religious doctrinal behavior sets.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM

434 posts, read 453,984 times
Sounds like another liberal wack job to me. Same as the rest of the gang that has brought California to the moral and financial brink. Is he any different than Obama?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,694,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
Sounds like another liberal wack job to me. Same as the rest of the gang that has brought California to the moral and financial brink. Is he any different than Obama?
"moral brink"?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM

6,047 posts, read 11,152,322 times
Thank God that the Almighty God comes in lots of different flavors.

Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Hindu (OK I'll give you the multi deism thing), Buddhist, Islam, and probably a few hundred others that I am either unaware of or too lazy to list.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,264,557 times
I find it odd that the the nation that is in many ways the most scientifically advanced nation, is still run on superstition.

If we are going to suffer ourselves to be run by superstition, the least we could do is adopt the Hopi Way. They will still be here with their old religion when Jehovah is in the dust bin with Zeus.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 PM

1,109 posts, read 933,543 times
Yup, I wanna get back to my roots, and feel we should ALL be worshipping Horus, Isis and the gang. And let's not forget Bastet, she's my fav. MEOW....

Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 AM

2,941 posts, read 2,372,061 times
One of my favorite flavors: Jainism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM

11,944 posts, read 13,033,145 times
Now, if I got back to 3/4 of my roots, then shamanism and ancestor worship would be the way to go!

And as for the other 1/4, that would be worshipping Kali and Vishnu!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM

1,109 posts, read 933,543 times
I'd like a crystal ball. It wouldn't hate me because I'm beautiful...or Gay!

It's that pink feather boa.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California