Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Exactly! It's like telling heterosexuals they can change whenever they wish to....ridiculous!
No, it's like telling heterosexuals not to act on their illicit sexual impulses, or to publicly identify themselves by them.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,840,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No, it's like telling heterosexuals not to act on their illicit sexual impulses, or to publicly identify themselves by them.
As usual, the Pilgrim, in his twisted sexual obsession, thinks he gets to define "illicit sexual impulses".

Further, he completely ignores the reality that heterosexuals are entirely and constantly identified and defined by the dominant culture in which we live. Nearly every bit of advertising and fashion and product development and marketing is primarily targeted at heterosexual culture. Similarly, movies and television in their early days entirely defined white-male oriented culture as dominant and correct in America and the world. Over time, and through activism and education, women, Native Americans, African-Americans, Asians and Asian-Americans, etc., all have been able to effect changes of predominate attitudes, ultimately bringing dignity to lives previously treated as beneath concern by the dominant culture.

Good idea, huh

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM

459 posts, read 720,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Read my posts ... witty, informative, insightful, philosophical, entertaining ... I should win a Pulitzer any day now for my work on the forum ...

Seriously? Define "flamboyantly gay" for the readers here. And then tell us about how your definition applies to all gays because all gays act the same -- which is somehow so different from the rest of us "straights". News flash: you deal with gays every day who you have no idea are gay because they act the same as most everyone else -- because, well, they ARE the same as the "rest of us" in every respect except their sexual behavior, which, last time I checked, is not acceptable to demonstrate publicly in schools, armed forces, businesses, or any other public venue either. You live in a very small, strange world there inside your head, Writer.
Witty? Informative? A Pulitzer Prize?......how about droll, opinionated and no prize?

Define "flamboyantly gay". It's not hard, you know. It's the ones with their massive pride parades through city streets and the ones with chains and whips and whatnot. Them.
I didn't say all gays act the same. I've known many people who are gay who HAVE THE CONTROL to keep it under wraps...not shout it from the rooftops at every opportunity. I personally have no problem with them. It is, again, the flamboyant, over-the top (and I don't mean the fashion designers on Bravo), forceful and attention-seeking gays that cause problems like what I have described.

I believe my original point was this: if you are gay and must be (as some must be) teachers or soldiers or whatever else along those lines, don't go around and flaunt it...it leads to uncomfortable situations.

And I wouldn't be talking about who lives in a small world in their head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"It's a choice." "Pray the gay away." This is how homophobes (almost always Christians, by the way, at least in this country) justify their bigotry, despite what homosexuals and parents of homosexuals say. By the way, I'm the parent of a gay man, and we suspected early on that he was different from the other three. To say we weren't surprised when he "came out" to us is an understatement.

Luckily for all three of us, we weren't bound by any oppressive religious faith, so we accepted him for who he is.

"Born That Way" isn't just a popular song by Lady Gaga.
It is a choice to be gay, ESPECIALLY in public and without any kind of modesty. Look, I don't have the wherewithal to say anything about your son, other than I'm glad you still love and accept him. It is sad when parents don't, even if they don't agree with it.

Sadly, "Born This Way" is just another sub-par pop song by a crazy woman. I suppose she was born that way, too, eh? Born with wild, obsessive tendencies and born to have horns in her head? Has it ever occurred to you that she and homosexuals have something in common? They pervert nature and confound it...they go against it. You don't have to believe in God or a god to know that.

Quote:
I'm not gay. None of my four kids are gay. No relative that I know of is gay. Yet for some reason I have always known and worked with a lot of gays. That non-threatening foundation allowed me and my wife to be comfortable with a couple of our children having gay teachers in (public) schools, which teachers also happened to have a few kids our kids' ages - and which kids became our kids' best friends. Over the years the friendships of the young ones became friendships with the parents. My sons and daughter have all been overnight uncountable times, around parties and social events sometimes predominantly gay, though typically well "integrated" ... Mine have been to gay pride parades and events and fundraisers. Two of my kids were homeschooled for a few years in collaboration with the gay teachers, and gay tutors, as well as straight.

Now how did my kids end up straight?
Even stranger: how is it that the kids with the gay parents are also straight?

I'll tell you another thing my kids ended up: not bigots. And if anyone offends their friends' gay parents, or black, or Deaf, or -- they risk dental work performed by my amateur dentists.
That's fine, null. I do have a relative who's gay, and some friends and others (like co-workers and schoolmates). Yet I have always known and worked with them. But what are you driving at? Of course they weren't going to "catch" it or whatever you're trying to imply. It's an individual choice, free of outside influences, although the media in general is doing the best they can to make it more and more normal.

Last edited by TheCalifornianWriter; 05-05-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
Witty? Informative? A Pulitzer Prize?......how about droll, opinionated and no prize?

Define "flamboyantly gay". It's not hard, you know. It's the ones with their massive pride parades through city streets and the ones with chains and whips and whatnot. Them.
I didn't say all gays act the same. I've known many people who are gay who HAVE THE CONTROL to keep it under wraps...not shout it from the rooftops at every opportunity. I personally have no problem with them. It is, again, the flamboyant, over-the top (and I don't mean the fashion designers on Bravo), forceful and attention-seeking gays that cause problems like what I have described.

I believe my original point was this: if you are gay and must be (as some must be) teachers or soldiers or whatever else along those lines, don't go around and flaunt it...it leads to uncomfortable situations.

And I wouldn't be talking about who lives in a small world in their head...

It is a choice to be gay, ESPECIALLY in public and without any kind of modesty. Look, I don't have the wherewithal to say anything about your son, other than I'm glad you still love and accept him. It is sad when parents don't, even if they don't agree with it.

Sadly, "Born This Way" is just another sub-par pop song by a crazy woman. I suppose she was born that way, too, eh? Born with wild, obsessive tendencies and born to have horns in her head? Has it ever occurred to you that she and homosexuals have something in common? They pervert nature and confound it...they go against it. You don't have to believe in God or a god to know that.

That's fine, null. I do have a relative who's gay, and some friends and others (like co-workers and schoolmates). Yet I have always known and worked with them. But what are you driving at? Of course they weren't going to "catch" it or whatever you're trying to imply. It's an individual choice, free of outside influences, although the media in general is doing the best they can to make it more and more normal.
Too ignorant for words. Are you and WesternPilgrim related or are the two of you merely married?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too ignorant for words. Are you and WesternPilgrim related or are the two of you merely married?
Apparently they can't help it Chief. Guess they were just "Born This Way" we read day in and day out.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:

And I wouldn't be talking about who lives in a small world in their head
Of course you wouldn't. You are so buried in yours that you are entirely clueless. But, if you'd like, I can trot out my life's resume in abbreviated form and we can compare to yours. Education, military service, places lived, public service, family, professional and artistic skills ... Ummm, how about proficiency in writing, too? You start. Tell us about yourself.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Kinda like what your position wants to do.

A person's religion can have any stance it wants to have, and you are free to believe it. In the eyes of the law I should be able to have a legal marriage.

Too bad about the clerks who felt the need to resign. Surely there are many of us who don't believe some laws are in keeping with our beliefs. We do our jobs anyway.
Disagree with her too often and she'll put you on ignore. In the meanwhile, quote everything nullgeo and I post so Mrs. Pilgrim has to see it.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 PM

459 posts, read 720,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, you are. Dismiss my post. You have nothing to say for it because there IS nothing to say. It was my opinion, based on fact. You cannot contradict anything, except from your personal standpoint.

I won't even try to answer that little insult. I'm learning to deal with them.

Quote:
Apparently they can't help it Chief. Guess they were just "Born This Way" we read day in and day out.
Did you just call him "Chief"?

Quote:
Of course you wouldn't. You are so buried in yours that you are entirely clueless. But, if you'd like, I can trot out my life's resume in abbreviated form and we can compare to yours. Education, military service, places lived, public service, family, professional and artistic skills ... Ummm, how about proficiency in writing, too? You start. Tell us about yourself.
I don't see why not, other than privacy. All you need to know (and all I'll tell) is that I come from a small, Christian family living in Southern California all our lives. We traveled many places (we all loved to travel, and I still do), but in the end, it was about home and our family. I was educated here, too. USC. I never joined the military, though I was interested, as most boys are, in the armed forces as an adolescent. I have still stayed here because I love California, despite its many problems. I guess a good summary for me is : Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. Don't get me wrong, though I travel often for business and pleasure.

I did service hours for my school and church till I was employed. Not much time after that. I do actually have some artistic skills. Maybe you've seen the picture on my page? And I've written dozens of short stories and a full-length novel about war (fiction).

Most importantly, though, I've known and worked with all kinds of people. It was natural, especially in LA. So from a young age, I knew a diverse group of people. To keep this post related, some were gay. As people they were fine and we were friends...on a personal level I trusted them and still do. But we disagree from time to time and do continually about their lifestyle. But it doesn't ruin the relationship.

NOTE: No familial relation to WP.

Now, you tell me about yourself.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,440 times
Quote:
Now, you tell me about yourself.
TCW, I should have warned you. You'll be sorry. Very sorry. Good luck changing the subject after this ...

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 05-06-2012 at 02:22 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 AM

578 posts, read 1,289,823 times
Quote:
It is a choice to be gay, ESPECIALLY in public and without any kind of modesty.
Where's my rolling over the floor laughing emoticon?

You're confusing metrosexual (men who dress fashionably) for homosexual. I know plenty of metro men who aren't gay, and many gay men who aren't metro.

Perrrrhaps meeting widening horizons is in order...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: