U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,429,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I never understand why you have to wear a helmet on a bike, yet is totally okay for these guys to weave in and out of lanes like mad men and ride the lines in between the lanes. It's like they want to make thse people be safe, yet they give them the green light to do all these death-defying maneuvers.

Strikes me as counter-intuitive...
Okay? Who says its okay to drive as you describe? Who gives the green light to do such? All illegal. Why helmets? If you need to ask .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,067,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
I'm sure if it's been answered or not but do you have any experience riding a motorcycle at all?
Hasn't been asked directly, but I have little experience riding a motorcycle.

However, I was looking for something like a moped/scooter to move me from point A to B and back. I'm comfortable riding a moped or small motorized bike.

Totally agree on the motorcycle safety course for anything that would rate as a motorcycle. Might be overkill for a moped.

Also, I appreciate all the advice, links, and anecdotal experiences!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Hasn't been asked directly, but I have little experience riding a motorcycle.

However, I was looking for something like a moped/scooter to move me from point A to B and back. I'm comfortable riding a moped or small motorized bike.

Totally agree on the motorcycle safety course for anything that would rate as a motorcycle. Might be overkill for a moped.

Also, I appreciate all the advice, links, and anecdotal experiences!
futbol -- if you haven't much experience riding motorcycles and are really in this for the economy / simplicity factors, not trying to become a "biker" -- you might find the new trike scooters with a pair of wheels forward of interest. Read up on them. They are very stable! The handling is astounding, adding greatly to safety They are not considered hokey either. There are also trike motorcycles newly on the market that are creating quite a stir.

Here is a link so you can see some examples of trike scooters. Remember, two wheels in front are the great handlers. Two wheels in back is not really a good idea.

Trike 3 Wheels, Trike, Three-Wheel Trike Scooter

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,538,892 times
I find it odd, and humorous that you can take your motorcycle riding test on one. around the cones, make the tight turns, without having to balance the machine.

They look very dorky to me. But then, in talking to guys who have bikes like mine, the dork factor is big on KLR 650s. Many guys who own them seem far more interested in Farkling them (that is not a bad word, that is the term for accessorizing them) than in riding them. The first thing if you own one, and you haven't done it yet, you must change the dohicky.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Yes. The biggest battle in the trike revolution has been the perception of dork factor. However, the performance tests on the big trike moto's as well as the smaller scooters have been so remarkably positive that I am seeing more and more of these on the roads, including the big machines. The experienced professional riders doing the reviews are overwhelmingly positive ... big time positive. Look at the videos. Watch how those front wheels are designed to lean with the turns and you'll understand this is no joke, and they are not training wheels. This is advanced engineering at work. The more these start to race, the faster the revolution will advance.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,538,892 times

"Moto-polo, a new variation of traditional polo, has emerged in Rwanda with only a few dozen dedicated practitioners.
A Lot Like Polo, Only Faster and With Beer
By JOSH KRON
KIGALI, Rwanda — Moto-polo, a game in Rwanda that uses motorcycles instead of horses, has few rules, lots of beer breaks and speeds of up to 45 miles per hour."

Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

"Moto-polo, a new variation of traditional polo, has emerged in Rwanda with only a few dozen dedicated practitioners.
A Lot Like Polo, Only Faster and With Beer
By JOSH KRON
KIGALI, Rwanda Moto-polo, a game in Rwanda that uses motorcycles instead of horses, has few rules, lots of beer breaks and speeds of up to 45 miles per hour."
Is that a human head they are using for a ball?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,067,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
futbol -- if you haven't much experience riding motorcycles and are really in this for the economy / simplicity factors, not trying to become a "biker" -- you might find the new trike scooters with a pair of wheels forward of interest. Read up on them. They are very stable! The handling is astounding, adding greatly to safety They are not considered hokey either. There are also trike motorcycles newly on the market that are creating quite a stir.

Here is a link so you can see some examples of trike scooters. Remember, two wheels in front are the great handlers. Two wheels in back is not really a good idea.

Trike 3 Wheels, Trike, Three-Wheel Trike Scooter
I've seen those on the street around my work area. They look very stable and safe. Agreed on the dorkiness.

I'm not embarrassed to ride a moped. Those trikes? Hmmm.

BTW, I haven't yet told my wife that I'm getting a motor bike, so maybe showing up with a moped will be less of a shock than bringing a motorcycle home.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM

4,517 posts, read 4,162,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Okay? Who says its okay to drive as you describe? Who gives the green light to do such? All illegal. Why helmets? If you need to ask .....
Actually, lane-splitting is controversial. As far as we can figure out, it's still only legal because the CHP wants to be able to do it.

The rational for the motorcycles driving "through" a flock of cars is similar to a car driving "through" a flock of semis. It's the huge difference in size, so the small vehicle wants to get by as quickly as possible. In addition to that, it's amazing how "invisible" motorcycles are to drivers. Finally, the motorcycles are trying to safely get of the slab as soon as they can, since slab-riding is seriously not fun on a motorcycle.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM

4,517 posts, read 4,162,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
... BTW, I haven't yet told my wife that I'm getting a motor bike, so maybe showing up with a moped will be less of a shock than bringing a motorcycle home.
You haven't told her?!?!?

You'd better be certain that you can return whatever vehicle you show up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California