U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM

1,079 posts, read 983,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You haven't told her?!?!?

You'd better be certain that you can return whatever vehicle you show up with.
Still working on my sales pitch. So far: "It's safer than bicycling and we're saving a bunch on gas, plus we have an extra set of wheels."

BTW, it looks like name brand mopeds go for ~$2k to ~$3.5k. Other brands sell for ~$800 to ~$1800 new. Helmet will be ~$90.

I'll schedule the DMV motorcycle written exam next.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,260,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Still working on my sales pitch. So far: "It's safer than bicycling and we're saving a bunch on gas, plus we have an extra set of wheels."

BTW, it looks like name brand mopeds go for ~$2k to ~$3.5k. Other brands sell for ~$800 to ~$1800 new. Helmet will be ~$90.

I'll schedule the DMV motorcycle written exam next.
For your helmet and other accessories, try cyclegear.com

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM

4,359 posts, read 3,839,759 times
Your estimate for a helmet is on the low side. You might be able to find one on sale for that price.

Be sure to get a helmet that fits you. Different brands seem to have different fit. An ill-fitting helmet is a misery!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
For your helmet and other accessories, try cyclegear.com
I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Your estimate for a helmet is on the low side. You might be able to find one on sale for that price.

Be sure to get a helmet that fits you. Different brands seem to have different fit. An ill-fitting helmet is a misery!
Yeah, maybe I should get a helmet before buying the bike, as I'll need it out the door.

Already scheduled my written test with the DMV.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM

I just bought a helmet on sale at cyclegear.com for $45.00, Can you spend $800.00? Yep, but why? Buy what you need.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM

17,249 posts, read 13,385,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
futbol -- if you haven't much experience riding motorcycles and are really in this for the economy / simplicity factors, not trying to become a "biker" -- you might find the new trike scooters with a pair of wheels forward of interest. Read up on them. They are very stable! The handling is astounding, adding greatly to safety They are not considered hokey either. There are also trike motorcycles newly on the market that are creating quite a stir.

Here is a link so you can see some examples of trike scooters. Remember, two wheels in front are the great handlers. Two wheels in back is not really a good idea.

Trike 3 Wheels, Trike, Three-Wheel Trike Scooter
The CHarley guys won't wave at you on that!! Just sayin...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I wish the motorcyclist waving at each rider would simply stop, drives me crazy going down the road having to wave at every rider. I am working on a automatic hand waver, a piece of metal cut like a hand, mounted on the left handlebar end that waves in the wind, it will save me a lot of aggravation.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,137,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't give a rat's bumm if they don't ... I'm done riding anything open air. You want to wave at me inside my tank or warplane go right ahead ... Maybe if I'm feeling chipper I'll swing my turret around or dip my wing ...

Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 PM

*** update ***

I studied for and took the motorcycle permit test. Failed it the first time. They let me study up and take it again right there. I think you get three tries.

They also had me take half of a regular drivers' license test for renewal.

Cost ~$38. They do not take credit cards at the DMV.

BTW, I was able to schedule the DMV appointment online.

Permit in hand, I went out and chose a motor scooter. I settled on Point Loma Scooter. Cost me ~$1930 out the door (with all fees).

After buying it, I had to put it on the back of my pickup truck and take it to the insurance rep (Progressive). Liability insurance for me was $75/year.

Now I need to get proficient and then take the motorcycle drivers' test.

I'll take the safety course if I get anything bigger.

Being a Charger fan, I'm going to decorate this.

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM

559 posts, read 296,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
*** update ***

That's awesome! I believe you should take the safety course even if you don't get something bigger. The DMV will take the completion of the MSF course in place of the driving test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California