U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 PM

31,708 posts, read 17,458,683 times
You look in the upper middle-class neighborhoods. Laffayette and Walnut Creek in the East Bay Area. Lowell High in San Francisco.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM

5,194 posts, read 4,974,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
... there are plenty of communities in Southern California with good public schools where you can easily find homes for less than $800,000.
"Good" is relative, and the thread is about public high schools, not elementary or middle schools, of which there are plenty in southern CA.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM

12,313 posts, read 10,255,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Good" is relative, and the thread is about public high schools, not elementary or middle schools, of which there are plenty in southern CA.
Yes, I'm talking about public high schools. Relative to what? I'm not even sure what you're trying to say... I would use the US News ranking of high schools to determine "good", that is those with gold metals are "good". This is a national ranking.

But, as I mentioned earlier, there are few high schools that are dominated by the kids of the upper-middle class. Upper-middle class communities are rarely large enough to support an entire high school.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 AM

7,911 posts, read 9,615,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But how do they feel about property taxes here vs there? My aunt pays an annual property tax for her house in Wilmette that's astoundingly high. I couldn't believe it when she told me.

Maybe the difference is that New Trier High School is one of the best public high schools in the country. Here, there just aren't that many top ranked public high schools where homes are priced under around $800,000.
^ Bingo! You get it!

USER_ID ... on the other hand ...

Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
If kids from low income families are matriculating into the same schools then its a mixed demographic community...

Yes, but probably because its not true. Upper-middle class is about people, not particular styles of houses.
The community in question is not mixed but the school is. Now, how can that be? Come on, you know the answer to this one!

Again, here, in this overblown area, upper middle class people live in homes that would have been occupied by lower middle class where they came from. They then try to make them cute using nice materials and upgrades but at the end of the day, they are cracker boxes. And their kids either go to the mediocre public schools, or, they take out a second to pay for private. There is a reason why it's tough to recruit certain people with families.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The community in question is not mixed but the school is. Now, how can that be? Come on, you know the answer to this one!
Right, so like I said, you're looking at a small pocket of upper-middle class folks. You can find that in Chicago too, there are a number of neighborhoods with expensive homes that matriculate into so-so schools. But the bay area, as well as the Chicago area, have larger communities where the kids matriculate into good schools.

Quote:
Again, here, in this overblown area, upper middle class people live in homes that would have been occupied by lower middle class where they came from.
Right, so as I was saying, you're focusing on the homes and pretending as if there is some prototypical "upper-middle class", "lower middle class", etc home. But that isn't how it works. The bay area is transforming into a higher socioeconomic community as a result you're going to see a lot of higher socioeconomic households buying homes from households from lower socioeconomic groups. Its just gentrification, instead its gentrifying from the middle-class to higher classes instead of the typical urban poor/ghetto to middle-class.

I'm not sure why you think an area is "overblown" because middle-class folks are getting priced out of it.... You can find many areas on the east coast where similar things have happened, just many decades ago.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think an area is "overblown" because middle-class folks are getting priced out of it.... You can find many areas on the east coast where similar things have happened, just many decades ago.
Interesting comparison. There are still healthy middle income communities unbelievably close in the NYC. The quality of the housing stock and general physical characteristics blow away comparable economic strata communities in coastal CA. I call this the weather premium. It's a rip off. Exacerbated by overly aggressive so called "land use planning" practices and other evils.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 PM

1,631 posts, read 940,613 times
Quote:
Interesting comparison. There are still healthy middle income communities unbelievably close in the NYC. The quality of the housing stock and general physical characteristics blow away comparable economic strata communities in coastal CA. I call this the weather premium. It's a rip off. Exacerbated by overly aggressive so called "land use planning" practices and other evils.
Its that land use planning that makes it so desirable...Europe is expensive too. Beautiful to look at in the country, open space and so forth between cities.. I know of no one, that thinks Detroit suburbs are aesthetic. Just band after band of sprawl, that keep expanding and leaving a wasteland of low income ghetto behind in it's wake....IMO California does a good job managing land use... It for the most part does not look like a Midwestern metro area..

Yes a weather premium too on top of that...

The real estate bubble was not just in California... Many folks realize California is all about compromise... Many consider it a good deal to pay 40% more for a home in a 100% better climate.

I suppose if one is an indoor kind of person then it is a "rip off"...

Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
There are still healthy middle income communities unbelievably close in the NYC
NYC is huge, anything outside of NYC is not very close to the job centers in NYC. There are plenty of "middle income communities" close to the major cities in California as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California