U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,486,511 times

Advertisements

i'm guessing that after graduation, students will go where the jobs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,032,522 times
We'd rather have the wealthy foreign students than measly middle class native hayseeds. The foreign students' parents will buy houses for them in St. Francis Wood as well as BMW M series. That's excellent, more cash in hand for the local 1%ers. The local 1%ers will then buy wildly at Draegers. Wow, talk about a boom! I can't wait to apply at Draegers! /sarc

Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,486,511 times
Kids are attracted to flagship universities. California's haven't grown significantly while its population has so of course a larger number of CA students are going out of state.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM

12,569 posts, read 9,500,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It's not rocket science. CA's in-migration is slowing, out-migration is accelerating, and birthrates are declining. Population growth is screeching to a halt and, if these trends continue, will soon begin to reverse.
I'm not seeing the problem.

[win-win for everyone]

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM

448 posts, read 366,197 times
It's funny, I too see all these "fleeing California" and "California is doomed" threads and comments, but yet at the same time I see a lot of the "Hi I'm moving from so-and-so to California/LA/SF and need advice" threads. I guess there are still people out there that likes California.

And what's the end game for this posters posting these "fleeing California" threads? Is it just to be informative? Is it just to cause debate? Is it some kind of inferiority complex?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM

60 posts, read 114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I seriously doubt that many of these students were not accepted in California. It's darned near impossible for a college-bound student not to be accepted in the CSU system.
Due to budget cuts they are turning alot of students away. Many of the CSU's did not except new students for spring semesters. This happened last year too.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,418,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
It's funny, I too see all these "fleeing California" and "California is doomed" threads and comments, but yet at the same time I see a lot of the "Hi I'm moving from so-and-so to California/LA/SF and need advice" threads. I guess there are still people out there that likes California.

And what's the end game for this posters posting these "fleeing California" threads? Is it just to be informative? Is it just to cause debate? Is it some kind of inferiority complex?
It's known in the scientific community as the "Chicken-Little syndrome" ...MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 05-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: don't make it political

Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
hsw

2,067 posts, read 4,386,273 times
Where are world's $200K+/yr starter jobs for kids today?

Suspect 99% of such jobs are in PaloAlto region as software engineers

The other 1% may be as bond traders in Manhattan at GS or some hedge fund (though suspect pay is 50% of what top starting pay is for software engineers....and rents in Manhattan are abt 2x SF/PaloAlto)

Kids born wherever are free to go to college wherever and to migrate to wherever are best economic opportunities, been that way for past 30+yrs in US

Ironically, concept of many unusually wealthy young engineers in PaloAlto region was laughable 30yr ago....and even mockable 15-20 yrs ago vs similar-age financiers...world changes as industries rise/fall (as do regions like PaloAlto vs Manhattan which ultimately rise and fall upon a single industry like tech or finance)

Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,468,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So basically you're saying that those students who went out of state for school will likely not return AND those who came in from out of state will return? That contradicts this statement:

Which is it?
Both are true.

Generally speaking, students who leave home for college are less likely to return home afterwards ceteris paribus - "all other things being equal".

But California's dismal reality tips the scales. Students who leave CA are still less likely to return home; students coming to CA from elsewhere are more likely to leave again (though not necessarily for home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California