Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
upper-middle-class high-achieving non-white students
Are Japanese Americans, non white, or honorary white?

In South Africa, under Apartheid Asians were considered non whites and were restricted as to where they could live, shop, eat etc.

The South Africans had a big problem with the Japanese, they wanted to do business with them, but they couldn't as they were "asians" So they had to legally change the status of the Japanese to "honorary white".

Shows what happens when you structure your life around whites and non whites, pretty damned silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Are Japanese Americans, non white, or honorary white?
I have no idea. While we're not perfect in the US, thankfully we're no longer as messed-up as South Africa was, though I understand they've made some progress in recent decades. Perhaps I should use the term "non-Caucasian" rather than non-white. That would presumably include Japanese-Americans, but I'm not really skilled with the nuances. While Japanese-Americans have suffered terrible discrimination, I don't know if they would be lumped into the "historically-disadvantaged" category, if that's even a category. Anytime one discusses race, one is is a minefield, particularly if you are Caucasian, as I happen to be. Though I am also apparently a sufficient percentage of Native American to have claimed that status on my college / grad-school applications, though I did not so claim, and personally despise such gaming-of-the-system, which is, sadly, all too common.

I was attempting to provide some context/basis for my personal observation that nearly all of the "non-Caucasian" student population at UCLA Law School during my time there as a student (which was toward the tail end of affirmative action) were products of wealthier-than-average families. This included Hispanic-Americans, African-Americans, Philipino-Americans, and many other varieties of non-Caucasian. It also included several annoying examples of obviously Caucasian students who billed themselves as "Native Americans." That was unfortunate. My point was that there are more than enough wealthy non-Caucasian families in California to produce dozens, hundreds, thousands, tens-of-thousands of academically superior students. Certainly enough to outcompete their non-wealthy counterparts when it comes to getting themselves admitted to the top graduate and professional programs. Doesn't this make intuitive sense that it would be the case? If I recall, generally academic performance of students pretty closely tracks the socio-economic status of the parents.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Prop. 209 is still in effect, and UCLA is still the most-applied to public university in the nation; IIRC, the current stat is 12 out of the past 13 years.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I have quite a few friends that went out of state for college, and it was either because a college in another state had a better program for their major, or they just wanted a change of pace. I've spent the last 20ish years in California and while I absolutely love it here, I'm getting close to leaving as well. Sometimes people just need a change of scenery.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have quite a few friends that went out of state for college, and it was either because a college in another state had a better program for their major, or they just wanted a change of pace. I've spent the last 20ish years in California and while I absolutely love it here, I'm getting close to leaving as well. Sometimes people just need a change of scenery.
This this this.

I went out of state for college and returned afterwards.

I just wanted something "different" for my college experience and I enjoyed it immensely. But, afterward, I got a job back in California because I love it here, warts and all.

The theory that "if you go out of state for school you'll stay away forever" is definitely not true.

And, quite frankly, why not try something different? We're only here once (I think).

Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Failed at what? NY and CA aren't trying to stay small and rural. You name the two most successful states in the union economically speaking. Either of them contributes more to the GDP than 45 other states combined. So explain yourself - wtf are you babbling about? Because it's not a utopia? Welcome to earth pal.
The question is not often 'what?' .. but 'why?'.. and the big issue w/ throwing around the 'what' is that 'what' changes w/ time .. 'what' is a static sample that ignores trends. 'what' was then is many times not 'what' is now....

As to 'why', for example, silicon valley is what it is .. One need pay attention to history :

So, why one of California's most GDP contributing industries is where its at has much to do w/ chance and luck than anything and generally has nothing to do w/ what some bonehead politician is trying to achieve .. Or what some liberal vs. conservative decides to influence. The future 'what' is determined by a lot of factors.. The past decade or two of technological innovation works largely to remove physical barriers .. It has disrupted many industries and power centers and will continue ...

Kickstarter for example.. Where consumers are connected directly w/ individuals hoping to be funded to create the product intended for consumption .. Where do you see a 'California' only sticker? Nowhere... It has to do w/ you as an inventor and the great product idea you have .. and a world of consumers who want to appreciate it.

So, 'what' is California? A beautiful state in fiscal ruin that is run by nutbags elected by a populous who doesn't care to acknowledge/fix alot of the issues.. Many corporations and minds would be just as successful outside of California if not more and many already are. I'm not from California neither did I go to school here .. nor did many people I know .. Yet, they are some of the brightest and most productive minds out there in tech .. So, 'what' really means nothing w/o explaining 'why'. Myspace used to be the hottest thing around .. now everyone is on facebook .. who knows what it will be 20-30 years for now.. or given the velocity of change, 5 years from now .. Things change .. Many of the workers in many of the industries that form California's high GDP are not from nor were educated in this state. So, I fail to see in many ways what reflecting on state X and Y's GDP #'s w/o getting into why have any significance. NY is what it is due to a history of chance .. In physics there is something called momentum, it doesn't change over night .. It takes time .. and there are usually things you can observe to understand when that change is coming.. Many people don't like change and ignore it and the signs its coming. Such is life.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
T

Kickstarter for example.. Where consumers are connected directly w/ individuals hoping to be funded to create the product intended for consumption .. Where do you see a 'California' only sticker? Nowhere... It has to do w/ you as an inventor and the great product idea you have .. and a world of consumers who want to appreciate it.

Kickstarter is a joke, I have yet to see anything develop out of there. They take their cut and that's the end of it.

Kickster and it's older competitor Indiegogo are the equivalent of pan handling for money for things outside of a typical start-up.

South Florida residents turn to Indiegogo, Kickstarter for help with expensive projects - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Quirky on the other hand actually is into the mass market space with big retailers.

Aside from the occasional fluke game written in iOS that get's 1 million downloads on iTunes at 99 cents each, and that's a rarity. Most people I know that in iTunes selling their software are not going to be retiring anytime soon. Apple has it all figured out.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Kickstarter is a joke, I have yet to see anything develop out of there. They take their cut and that's the end of it.

Kickster and it's older competitor Indiegogo are the equivalent of pan handling for money for things outside of a typical start-up.

South Florida residents turn to Indiegogo, Kickstarter for help with expensive projects - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Quirky on the other hand actually is into the mass market space with big retailers.

Aside from the occasional fluke game written in iOS that get's 1 million downloads on iTunes at 99 cents each, and that's a rarity. Most people I know that in iTunes selling their software are not going to be retiring anytime soon. Apple has it all figured out.
It used it as one example .. and I recall i stated a slew of other things.. Anyway... Yeah, kick starter is a joke :
Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android by Pebble Technology — Kickstarter
BACKERS
$10,266,845
PLEDGED OF $100,000 GOAL

You make a good product .. People take notice. You make a sh*t product, you shouldn't expect Kickstarter to make it a success. In any event, you fail to see the paradigm shift .. I am sure you were one of the ones that thought CDs were going to be the defacto standard to getting music forever as well. The thing of notice is the platform .. Not the cases you can pick out of a stack that are failures. Come out to the valley so that I may show you the 1000s of traditional startup failures... and the 1000s of traditional start-ups funded by VCs on the ideology that they will hopefully be the fluke startup that writes a $1 million ios game... Zynga comes to mind. Change happens whether you acknowledge it or not. *cheers

Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I heard on the radio today (kfi am640) that the economy is actually getting worse even though the obama admin says its getting better. I myself should of gone to college when i had the chance or at least gotten a govt job.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
It used it as one example .. and I recall i stated a slew of other things.. Anyway... Yeah, kick starter is a joke :
Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android by Pebble Technology — Kickstarter
BACKERS
$10,266,845
PLEDGED OF $100,000 GOAL

You make a good product .. People take notice. You make a sh*t product, you shouldn't expect Kickstarter to make it a success. In any event, you fail to see the paradigm shift .. I am sure you were one of the ones that thought CDs were going to be the defacto standard to getting music forever as well. The thing of notice is the platform .. Not the cases you can pick out of a stack that are failures. Come out to the valley so that I may show you the 1000s of traditional startup failures... and the 1000s of traditional start-ups funded by VCs on the ideology that they will hopefully be the fluke startup that writes a $1 million ios game... Zynga comes to mind. Change happens whether you acknowledge it or not. *cheers
Thought you were ignoring me? Yet you reply?

Who needs this watch? Your smartphone does it all already, why have something else to carry or wrap around your wrist draining your already taxed battery life via Bluetooth? I can show you lot's of gadgets funded that failed, there will be plenty of iPhone accessories and add-ons sitting in the closeout bin at your local Target. The innovation is impressive, but the overall usefulness is not.

Looks like 68K+ Sheldon Cooper types donated their lunch money to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California