Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times

Advertisements

Says the hypocrite who referred to CSU students as "barbarians."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"...run-of-the-mill CSU-type barbarians?" Do you mean all the home-grown Asian students who get top SAT scores and represent the majority of in-state admissions?
Home-grown Asian students with top SAT scores represent the majority of in-state CSU admissions? You've got to be joking. Source, please.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Home-grown Asian students with top SAT scores represent the majority of in-state CSU admissions? You've got to be joking. Source, please.
Neat job of sidestepping his question, are you a politician?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
Quote:
Still, I think it likely for a number of reasons that Californians who leave the state for college are not your run-of-the-mill CSU-type barbarians. They're on the higher end of the CSU curve, though perhaps not quite UC material. They're not going to be the ones affected by the cuts: they're well-qualified, determined, and from families committed to their success.
The person they quoted in the article couldn't even get into San Diego State and went to Arizona State instead.

At this point you are just making stuff up.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Students who don't qualify for the top tier of the CSU system can opt for the top tier in out-of-state schools, rather than accept a place in 2nd-tier CA schools.
True, but that has always been the case. The question is why more seem to be opting for out-of-state schools today than, say, ten years ago.

Quote:
Not long after Proposition 13 passed, Berkeley, for one, began to substitute faculty with grad student teaching-assistants in their survey courses, and encouraged tenured faculty to retire early, replacing them with newly-minted PhD's, among other cost-cutting measures. So the quality of undergraduate instruction has suffered. Students may be choosing schools in other states, where they can get more faculty time for themselves.
Agreed. I'm sure that's a part of the mix. The bottom line is that all of these students will have begun to make a home for themselves out of state, with fewer incentives to return.

Inertia is the default position of human nature.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
The person they quoted in the article couldn't even get into San Diego State and went to Arizona State instead.

At this point you are just making stuff up.
Because the one person quoted in the article qualifies as the norm? Take a class in statistics.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 05-08-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
Quote:
Because the one person quoted in the article qualifies as the norm? Take a class in statistics.
Quoting one person is a better "statistic" than saying things like "I think it likely for a number of reasons that Californians who leave the state for college are not your run-of-the-mill CSU-type barbarians."

Way to make stuff up (again).

"Oh no, Arizona State is taking our best and brightest"...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Quoting one person is a better "statistic" than saying things like "I think it likely for a number of reasons that Californians who leave the state for college are not your run-of-the-mill CSU-type barbarians."

Way to make stuff up (again).

"Oh no, Arizona State is taking our best and brightest"...
I have expressed an opinion that I think is intuitively reasonable. You don't agree? Then offer a counter-opinion with reasons.

Here are my reasons:

1. Going out of state for college is an additional hardship logistically, financially, and socially. It requires a higher level of motivation and commitment on the part of the student and his or her family. That higher level motivation correlates - not always, but more often than not - with higher quality students.

2. Bright students with bright futures are being encouraged by their families to leave the state. How do I know this? Anecdotally.

3. The best jobs are out of state, and local graduates have a better chance at landing local jobs. It makes sense for those seeking high paying careers to attend college where the jobs are.

4. On the UC side, as Ruth4Truth pointed out, the quality of education has suffered due to internal structural changes - the trend toward graduate students replacing professors in the classroom. Students may be leaving the state systems for reasons of quality.

So I have expressed an opinion, with reasons to support it. If you disagree, fire away and tell me why.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 05-08-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
I have expressed an opinion that I think is intuitively reasonable. You don't agree? Then offer a counter-opinion with reasons.

Here are my reasons:(he does it again)

1. Going out of state for college is an additional hardship logistically, financially, and socially. It requires a higher level of motivation and commitment on the part of the student and his or her family. That higher level motivation correlates - not always, but more often than not - with higher quality students. Not necessarily as I demonstrated

2. Bright students with bright futures are being encouraged by their families to leave the state. How do I know this? Anecdotally. It would be interesting if a million families did this rather than the couple you know of

3. The best jobs are out of state, and local graduates have a better chance at landing local jobs. It makes sense for those seeking high paying careers to attend college where the jobs are.

Not at all, the best jobs are where the best jobs are, where they are depends on what they are, it makes sense to attend college where their education is good, for instance, there may be high paying jobs in Las Vegas, but "no bright student with a bright future" should attend University of Nevada at Las Vegas.

4. On the UC side, as Ruth4Truth pointed out, the quality of education has suffered due to internal structural changes - the trend toward graduate students replacing professors in the classroom. Students may be leaving the state systems for reasons of quality.

that "trend" is 60 or 70 years old, state universities that I know of seldom have grad students teaching.

So I have expressed an opinion, with reasons to support it. If you disagree, fire away and tell me why.

I just did, you seem to inhabit a parallel universe, similar to ours, but all screwed up.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Quote:
It's much more than that. Some of these students are paying out-of-state tuition. That means they're on the serious side, the cream of the crop. And students who leave the state for college are always less likely to return.
That's not true, I went to Univ of Iowa, and a significant percent were from Chicago (mainly Chicago suburbs). The majority (over 90%) of them returned back home after college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California