Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you want to move in as a Software Engineer?
Boston 0 0%
NYC 1 4.55%
Washington,DC 0 0%
Chicaco 0 0%
Los angeles 2 9.09%
Raleigh 2 9.09%
Atlanta 0 0%
Dallas 0 0%
Austin 1 4.55%
Houston 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
San Francisco 5 22.73%
San Jose 9 40.91%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 1 4.55%
Others 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif_dreamn View Post
New York Fed: Californians have highest debt per capita - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register
Econ 101. What the last 10 years have boiled down to is who can be the biggest idiot and accumulate the most debt
w.r.t to people not from California who aren't 1st generation immigrants is that they have lived other places that are much cheaper/lower tax and 'know better' IMO. So, yes, the 'demand' side is a bit skewed (lots of H1b-visa immigrants who have never lived anywhere else in the U.S.....

A well informed consumer might find a product A to be overpriced at Location B, it will never stop a crowd of consumers who aren't informed from thinking its a bang out value who buy it.
If the 'hot' spot was 'Kansas', everyone would probably subscribe to the idea that being landlocked in middle america is the place to be....
Few people think outside the box and most just conform to whatever the dominant ideology is. This fact influences a lot of things.. Most of all markets and inflated pricing..
But but, location location .. Marketing 101 more like it.
Quite a rant. But that's ok. SJ is not for everyone which was my point to the OP. If he has no ties here except for some IT experience and the money he, like yourself, will probably move on out which is also quite alright. Many *have* lived in other states and still choose CA. This choice goes far beyond the cost of housing which is really the focus of your rant and the chart (mortgage debt). If housing was the same as Kansas, which is virutally imposible, every Tom, Dick and Harry who is sick of the weather in the Midwest, etc... would be moving to SJ. Then what do you think would happen? The prices would go right back up again like they have already.

RE 101 Location, location, location isn't an opinion. Its a macro economic principle which drives the market. That doesn't mean the market hasn't gotten inflated. You are confusing normal market cycles with basic RE economic principles. Yes, even crashes/corrections are *normal* market cycles. And yes, the RE market will continue to expand and contract which it always does. Whether or not you think the ppl who buy these expensive homes are idiots is completely irrelevant to the market as a whole. Your voice is a tiny drip in the bucket of literally hundreds of thousand who have a different outlook. So you can easily mock these buyers and then smuggly go buy in a big home in the flatlands of TX which is perfectly fine. Its a free country. In fact by all means please do! But that doesn't change the prices and the many more who have and will continue to buy in SJ. Could there be another correction at some point? Of course there will be! And the prices will rise again as well.

Back to the OP, if housing costs are more important than the other benefits of living on the West Coast then please select another state and do us all a favor.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM

24 posts, read 38,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
So why are you hiding?

Nope, not there yet but I soon will be, was out there last week though. Shacked up with my friend in Santa Cruz and went on several interviews.

I don't work in Software and won't be involved in anything to do with Social Media, so I'm not concerned with the "rumors" or fear mongering from the likes of Newsmax's Aftershock Survival Summit and associated BS partners.

There is nothing to fear anyways, the world is going to end on 12-21-2012 according to the Mayans, I figure I'll get a good solid 5 months in and enjoy the ride

I plan to eat at Original Joe's and In-N-Out on a daily basis to bulk up my fat stores for the survival.
Still looking for a job?
LOL cheers

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Quite a rant. But that's ok. SJ is not for everyone which was my point to the OP. If he has no ties here except for some IT experience and the money he, like yourself, will probably move on out which is also quite alright. Many *have* lived in other states and still choose CA. This choice goes far beyond the cost of housing which is really the focus of your rant and the chart (mortgage debt). If housing was the same as Kansas, which is virutally imposible, every Tom, Dick and Harry who is sick of the weather in the Midwest, etc... would be moving to SJ. Then what do you think would happen? The prices would go right back up again like they have already.

RE 101 Location, location, location isn't an opinion. Its a macro economic principle which drives the market. That doesn't mean the market hasn't gotten inflated. You are confusing normal market cycles with basic RE economic principles. Yes, even crashes/corrections are *normal* market cycles. And yes, the RE market will continue to expand and contract which it always does. Whether or not you think the ppl who buy these expensive homes are idiots is completely irrelevant to the market as a whole. Your voice is a tiny drip in the bucket of literally hundreds of thousand who have a different outlook. So you can easily mock these buyers and then smuggly go buy in a big home in the flatlands of TX which is perfectly fine. Its a free country. In fact by all means please do! But that doesn't change the prices and the many more who have and will continue to buy in SJ. Could there be another correction at some point? Of course there will be! And the prices will rise again as well.

Back to the OP, if housing costs are more important than the other benefits of living on the West Coast then please select another state and do us all a favor.

Derek
Same ol' religious tune .. At some point I finally understood, this place isn't changing anytime soon.. And the govt., it's debt, and issues are merely a reflection of the delusional populous.

Last edited by calif_dreamn; 07-08-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
"Location Location". The jobs will remain here and the home prices will keep rising.
So the chant of the usual continues .. The markets have and will speak for themselves. The numbers reflect that. No sense in discussing anything beyond that. Buying an overpriced home and overextending oneself has been proven to be an idiots venture. People forget history quickly. The housing crisis never happened I guess. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. California as a govt. reflects the dominant ideology of people here.. Delusional and in debt up to their ears living a lie. As you were.
Tht's fine. We can obviously agree to disagree. Its a strawman to pretend residents didn't experience the latest RE crash as did the rest of the nation. But yes, the numbers have and will continue to speak for themselves. That's the point of the original question anyway. Why is housing so much... still? Most ppl from other states will not get this, especially when they come to CA for one reason - a current job and ideas of making it big or at least gaining valuable experience. But there is more to the location than merely jobs, though the SV has those as well. Many choose to live in CA for variety of reasons which are too numerous to count. And sure if you are just as happy living in the Midwest then the west coast, the mountains, the redwoods, etc... are meh to you. There is no real arguement. Its just personal preferences. And it just so happens that CA is the most populous state in the nation for many reasons. Millions have chosen it over the other 49 with their feet and wallets. Thousands stream in and out every day. But of course its not for everyone, maybe not for the OP or yourself. Since your name is calif_dreamn I would imagine at some point you thought it was. Maybe not so much now? Is that primarily work related?

Derek

Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Tht's fine. We can obviously agree to disagree. Its a strawman to pretend residents didn't experience the latest RE crash as did the rest of the nation. But yes, the numbers have and will continue to speak for themselves. That's the point of the original question anyway. Why is housing so much... still? Most ppl from other states will not get this, especially when then they come to CA for one reason - a current job and ideas of making it big or at least gaining valuable experience. But there is more to the location the merely jobs, though the SV has those as well. Many choose to live in CA for variety of reasons which are too numerous to count. And sure if you are just as happy living in the Midwest then the west coast, the mountains, the redwoods, etc... are meh to you. There is no real arguement. Its just personal preferences. And it just so happens that CA is the most populous state in the nation for many reasons. Millions have chosen it over the 49 with their feet and wallets. Thousands stream in and out every day. But of course its not for everyone, maybe not for the OP.

Derek
Like i said before.. The demographics speak for themselves

Illegals and 1st gen immigrants from Asian countries...
Multi-generation Americans have been exiting for years.. Because they know of better places in America and actually have a choice. Many people experience things on a daily basis, doesn't mean they learn or understand anything. There's the numbers... speaking for themselves again. So what's this about Americans breaking their necks to live here? and it seems housing is dam important as most inter-state moves have been to lower cost of living locations. I'm sorry but living in sac-town, fresno, etc is equiv. to almost any other suburban strip mall in the U.S.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Like i said before.. The demographics speak for themselves

Illegals and 1st gen immigrants from Asian countries...
Multi-generation Americans have been exiting for years.. Because they know of better places in America and actually have a choice...
If that's the case then why are/were you here calif_dreamin?

Derek

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
If that's the case then why are/were you here calif_dreamin?

Derek
I'm not .. I'm currently transitioning out of the state for reasons stated . Payroll residency/taxable address was transferred some weeks ago. Tax wise i'm gone. May I assume you have exhausted your ability to refute charts/data and are resorting to the all to familiar : 'leave then.. stop reminding me of the truth '
I came here because of a job.. One that I am able to do elsewhere in more comfort (a trend in tech).
I loved and did tons of outdoor stuff.. Loved the weather. Ultimately I made an exit plan and executed it recently at the most optimal time. Something about the taxes, uncontrollable debt and delusional populous that doesn't have the will to address it spooked me at the time I wanted to buy a home and settle some place stable. Thinking 20 years out, I foresaw lots of trouble facing Calif. and a populous whose solution amounts to plugging their ears w/ their fingers and pretending nothing is wrong.
Have lots of friends here whom I will visit when on vacation among other beautiful places in the world. As far as starting a family, living debt free, w/o mortgage payments, and having financial freedom. It just wasn't the most suitable place for that. Planes, trains, and automobiles exist in 2012. If I want to vacation and explore the world, it's only a trip away.

P.S - not sure if you are up on your data points but most people aren't multi-generation Calif. who reside in Calif... Alot come because of jobs.. Jobs that are disappearing and going elsewhere in the U.S and world..
Look at Blauskies

Last edited by calif_dreamn; 07-08-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
Still looking for a job?
LOL cheers

No, I have a job here. I'm being very selective on my options there, suppose I can be

I'm not leaving Florida with my tail tucked between my legs

Pretty pathetic your using a new user ID and your not too good at hiding it

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
No, I have a job here. I'm being very selective on my options there, suppose I can be

I'm not leaving Florida with my tail tucked between my legs

Pretty pathetic your using a new user ID and your not too good at hiding it
? lol. you have a job.. yet, you're going on interviews.. Interesting.
Anything to contribute to the topic?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
I'm not .. I'm currently transitioning out of the state for reasons stated . Payroll residency/taxable address was transferred some weeks ago. Tax wise i'm gone. May I assume you have exhausted your ability to refute charts/data and are resorting to the all to familiar : 'leave then.. stop reminding me of the truth '

I came here because of a job.. One that I am able to do elsewhere in more comfort (a trend in tech).
I loved and did tons of outdoor stuff.. Loved the weather. Ultimately I made an exit plan and executed it recently at the most optimal time.
Have lots of friends here whom I will visit when on vacation among other beautiful places in the world. As far as starting a family, living debt free, w/o mortgage payments, and having financial freedom. It just wasn't the most suitable place for that. Planes, trains, and automobiles exist in 2012. If I want to vacation and explore the world, it's only a trip away.
Same BS new user name what's new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California