U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,422,305 times

Advertisements

You know those really really really grossly graphic billboards and other ads that are making people complain? They're working according to studies. Know where the money comes from to produce and place them?

Yeah, thought not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Prop 28--most likely I'll abstain cause I dont believe in term limits to begin with. Localities lose senior legislators who have built reputations and forged relationships and have great influence in key positions and that helps the home districts. Yes, I get the reasoning behind supporting term limits, but if a person is doing so well that their constituents keep electing them, why do we want to get rid of them? I dont get that at all.

Yes on 29--Smoking cigarettes ultimately is a direct burden on society. Furthermore I dont believe that marijuana should be illegal whilst tobacco and alcohol are both legal and both cause thousands of deaths and illnesses every year, costing billions and billions.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,232,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes on 29--Smoking cigarettes ultimately is a direct burden on society. Furthermore I dont believe that marijuana should be illegal whilst tobacco and alcohol are both legal and both cause thousands of deaths and illnesses every year, costing billions and billions.
It's OK to tax other people's vices so long as it isn't one of yours, got it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 917,646 times
Propositions are a horribly misused feature of our state that is responsible for many of the structural problems we face today.

In summary, the only proposition I'd vote yes on is one limiting propositions to removing elected representatives (who are under the control of those dastardly rail road companies!).

Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
It's OK to tax other people's vices so long as it isn't one of yours, got it.
The solution is to have no vices.

On a more serious note, considering how many uninsured smokers ultimately seek care for lung cancer, emphysema , etc, I am certainly paying for the vices of others.

I mean, I dont mind doing my part, but if some people are 'priced out' of cigarettes--that's not a bad thing is it?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,535,412 times
I would support deportation of smokers, perhaps to China. Not all smokers, just the ones who exhale

Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,232,123 times
Quote:
The solution is to have no vices.

On a more serious note, considering how many uninsured smokers ultimately seek care for lung cancer, emphysema , etc, I am certainly paying for the vices of others.

I mean, I dont mind doing my part, but if some people are 'priced out' of cigarettes--that's not a bad thing is it?
I'm so glad that we have narrow-minded fanatics like you looking out for the welfare of society.

Last edited by ZhugeLiang; 05-10-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 641,054 times
Quote:
Prop 28--most likely I'll abstain cause I dont believe in term limits to begin with. Localities lose senior legislators who have built reputations and forged relationships and have great influence in key positions and that helps the home districts. Yes, I get the reasoning behind supporting term limits, but if a person is doing so well that their constituents keep electing them, why do we want to get rid of them? I dont get that at all.

Given the track record of these legislators,not losing much. Look at the condition they have left things in. Granted,CA is not as gerrymandered like some states.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I'm so glad that we have narrow-minded fanatics like you looking out for the welfare of society.
I could care less if you stuck an exhaust pipe in your mouth.

But the facts are as follows, 1 in 5 deaths in the US is caused by tobacco and it costs $96 Billion to treat tobacco related diseases every year. Saddest of all, 49,000 people die each year from diseases caused by 2nd hand smoke.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Tobacco is a very expensive habit, in more ways than just a small tax.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampass View Post
Given the track record of these legislators,not losing much. Look at the condition they have left things in. Granted,CA is not as gerrymandered like some states.
Not really, we've had a term limit law in place for a while now and I think we are worse off as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California