U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,662,066 times
I agree that the legacy of Spanish colonialism and the Catholic Church in Coastal California is pretty shameful, but that was then, this is now. Vandalism of any property is despicable.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM

1,628 posts, read 934,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I agree that the legacy of Spanish colonialism and the Catholic Church in Coastal California is pretty shameful, but that was then, this is now. Vandalism of any property is despicable.
I will agree with that 100%

Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,984,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't think multiculturalism has a thing to do with it. I think it's simply symptomatic of the increasing lack of civility, respect and consideration infecting society as a whole in some places.
Isn't that the true. I am not sure why civility went out the door. Perhaps, it is lack of consequences. Back in the day, disrespect was met with pushback. Good manners got praises. Now, breathing gets you a little trophy.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,976,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think it's simply symptomatic of the increasing lack of civility, respect and consideration infecting society as a whole in some places.
What do you believe causes those symptoms?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I do not understand how dissuading people from tearing out the hearts of captives and sacrificing them to the sun is shameful.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I am not sure why civility went out the door. P
It went out the door because the inhabitants of this country, with some exceptions, no longer feel a kinship with others around them. This country is a patchwork quilt of peoples -- an empire -- rather than a nation.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,151,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
... I am not sure why civility went out the door ...
Are you sure humans used to be more civil? I disagree. History is as ugly as can be with regard to human affairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
It went out the door because the inhabitants of this country, with some exceptions, no longer feel a kinship with others around them. This country is a patchwork quilt of peoples -- an empire -- rather than a nation.
Here, if you want to know ... But I doubt you really do:
Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM

40 posts, read 39,252 times
Quote:
I do not understand how dissuading people from tearing out the hearts of captives and sacrificing them to the sun is shameful.
What? No California natives were said to practice human sacrifice, as reported by those who ran the missions. You might be thinking of Aztecs in what is now Mexico.

In this country a few decades ago, black churches were burned and bombed, sometimes with people inside. So I would say that makes this look insignificant... although I'm not condoning graffiti or vandalism.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,272,951 times
Quote:
This is interesting, a common but false idea that the Euros were less murderous than the Aztecs (you do know human sacrifice did not occur with frequency among the California indians, right?).

Give this book a read 1491

The author compared the human sacrifice per thousand population in Mexico with the Capital punishment rate per thousand in England.

Turns out that the Crown, killed a larger number of subjects per capita than the priests of Mexico killed. Death penalty for stealing a slice of bread, for instance.

Priests killed for the glory of their gods. The Crown killed for the glory of the Crown.

Since England was much more liberal and kind than France, which was much more liberal and kind than Spain, one can project that the slaughter of Spanish subjects by the King of Spain, was far far greater than the slaughter of war captives by the Aztec priests.

Now, read the book, I just summarized for you.

Now, toss in the death rate of Californian indians after the arrival of the padres, nearly 90%, and you can see that the effect of the Euros in the new world was far more murderous than the effect of the Aztec priests.

Them facts, they be sumpin eh?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,718,961 times
Some destructive vandalism occurs at a church, and suddenly we've lost the veneer of civility? I agree, everything was better back in the good old days... the Holy Inquisition, Malleus Maleficarum, the Crusades, the oppression of science and knowledge.

Ooops, did I just mention of bunch of Church crimes? I don't know how that happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California