Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 11,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
1200RT is incorrect. The requirement is for a prescription, from a doctor. They are easy to get for adults, don't know about minors.
Once my son turns 18, if he were to go to a doctor and come up with some reason why he would need medical marijuana, how easily do the doctors give out the prescriptions? Is it easy to get one without having a real medical condition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
1200RT is incorrect. The requirement is for a prescription, from a doctor. They are easy to get for adults, don't know about minors.
I am not incorrect, unless you misread my post. Her son, to the best of our knowledge, is not sick, so he cannot legally smoke, regardless of his age.

Also, you are incorrect, as doctors do not write PRESCRIPTIONS for marijuana in California, as prescriptions are federally regulated, and marijuana is federally illegal. Doctors can, however, write RECOMMENDATIONS for marijuana in CA.

You can read all about it here: Weed culture in LA

Old 05-14-2012, 01:08 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedmomfromcolorado View Post
... but my son was heavily influenced by his friends and while he says he has never actually smoked (who knows how true that is) it scares me that he admitted to wanting to.
Wow! It should also make you proud, that you have the sort of relationship with him that he'd be willing to talk about that with you!

I don't know how strict NC is on marijuana, but CA is quite lax about it. But I don't think that's a good reason to choose NC over CA. If your son is gonna' smoke, he will be able to find it pretty much anywhere. I think you'll have better luck by teaching him not to hang around with other kids who smoke, no matter where you live. Moving now sounds like a good plan, for his sake, because it'll get him away from the kids who've introduced him to that idea.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Unless you plan on moving to a ghetto locale the environment inside your home has a lot more to do with how your kid turns out than the environment outside your home. If you've always wanted to live here give it a go (especially since you have a job offer here). The lifestyle in NorCal isn't tremendously different than CO.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 11,331 times
Well I've always had a good relationship with my kids. I've always told them that no matter what they are thinking or feeling I will not judge them, even if I disagree. I will always try to help them and they should never feel like they can't come to me or be scared of my reaction. I'm thinking I will give California a chance, now I just need to figure out which area is right for us.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedmomfromcolorado View Post
Well I've always had a good relationship with my kids. I've always told them that no matter what they are thinking or feeling I will not judge them, even if I disagree. I will always try to help them and they should never feel like they can't come to me or be scared of my reaction. I'm thinking I will give California a chance, now I just need to figure out which area is right for us.
As a mom to 4 (including a 16yr old) I certainly wouldn't let the marijuana issue be the main focus of your decision to move/not move here. There are plenty of kids that don't smoke it and it's not something that is rampant here, imo. My kids don't as far as I know (but I'm pretty sure that most experiment at some point in their lives).

I'm sure that if your relationship with your kids is good, and they aren't so heavily influenced by the crowd they hang out with, then it's really not any different than living anywhere else in the country.

In all honesty, I'd be far more fearful of them binge drinking, getting into prescription pills or meth, or even risky sexual behavior..which happens everywhere if your kids aren't secure or have other issues they need to "bury".

Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would not want to raise my kids in the CA of today. We barely made it out alive having raised 3 in the past. Stay put.
Why is that ? Please explain.
Ca has more people in jail then any state in the nation. Im sure your son doesnt want to join the inmates so he should be very careful & cautious.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why is that ? Please explain.
Ca has more people in jail then any state in the nation. Im sure your son doesnt want to join the inmates so he should be very careful & cautious.
The decline in living standards, the excessive taxation on businesses, and the increase in crime was always a concern for us when the kids were growing up. I was born and raised in CA and saw its more fruitful years and what a state it was. I suppose you would understand if you saw the decay I have seen in the larger cities. I don't think liberalisim has improved the state any.
The cost of living in CA is just not worth it any longer...in my humble opinion. Perhaps the reason CA has a larger population of prisoners is due to the large population of criminals?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
The decline in living standards, the excessive taxation on businesses, and the increase in crime was always a concern for us when the kids were growing up. I was born and raised in CA and saw its more fruitful years and what a state it was. I suppose you would understand if you saw the decay I have seen in the larger cities. I don't think liberalisim has improved the state any.
The cost of living in CA is just not worth it any longer...in my humble opinion. Perhaps the reason CA has a larger population of prisoners is due to the large population of criminals?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Perhaps the reason CA has a larger population of prisoners is due to the large population of criminals?
That's it! And the fact that the population of the state sits at 37.7 million (12 million higher than #2 Texas) has nothing to do with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California