Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you support the tax measures this fall?
Yes 19 27.14%
No 51 72.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Like that would ever happen in CA. High taxes on everything else will always be here.
Because no politician has the courage to get rid of 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As a direct result of Prop 13.

I would rather have high property taxes and low taxes on everything else, than low property taxes and high taxes on everything else.
Few things I am as passionate about as the roof over my head...

My property tax on a 1700 square foot 1956 home in Oakland is $9,000... I would hardly call this low.

If it was up to me... I would follow the European Model where Property Tax is extremely low... because it is in the interest of the government for it's citizens to have a home... and other taxes based on income and consumption are high.

The insidious thing of pre Prop 13 property tax is there was literally no limits on increases... having to sell the roof over your head to paying confiscatory property tax is not my vision for America...

Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Speaker Brown has often been quoted as well as Governor Brown: Prop 13 is the the third rail in California Politics... touch it and it is political suicide...

The third rail refers to the third rail of the Bay Area Rapid Transit System's third rail that carries thousands of volts of electricity...

Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
The problem with getting rid of proposition 13 is that seniors and other demographic groups who depend on fixed income will be kicked out of their homes.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Quote:
Which would wind up causing tens of thousands of families to lose their homes. If you want to get into political office and make that call, you have fun with that cowboy.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,671 times
And let's not forget that if you were to get rid of prop 13, make sure you also abolish mello-roos. There are a good number of homeowners in CA who say "what prop 13?" because they pay mello-roos and they aren't cheap. Can you imagine prop 13 going away, property taxes increase, AND you still pay mello-roos?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The problem with getting rid of proposition 13 is that seniors and other demographic groups who depend on fixed income will be kicked out of their homes.
This could be overcome relatively easily. Anyone over a certain age could have frozen taxes.

Prop13 can't be eliminated with a simple shock to the system.

Start by raising the 2% per year assessment increase limit to 5%. In five years raise that limit to 10% and leave it there. Keep the 1% rate for five years and remove it after that and let local voters approve their rates. Reinforce local control over these rates. Rates might come down over time as assessed values go up.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 AM

468 posts, read 785,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
And let's not forget that if you were to get rid of prop 13, make sure you also abolish mello-roos. There are a good number of homeowners in CA who say "what prop 13?" because they pay mello-roos and they aren't cheap. Can you imagine prop 13 going away, property taxes increase, AND you still pay mello-roos?

I'm not a Californian, so I don't know what "mello-roos" means!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
. Rates might come down over time as assessed values go up.
Not a bet I'm willing to make when it concerns my family's home.

Raising values will have more taxpayers contesting the valuations...

All of the folks now buying in my area are paying a full 1/3 less then my assessed value...

I filed a formal appeal with the County and the Country has 24 months to hear my appeal... meanwhile, I get to pay full freight and the new comers pay much less.

I can only imagine the nightmare created when hundreds of thousands of homeowners appeal high assessments if Prop 13 was tampered with.

We had the perfect, simply solution to have avoided Prop 13 and that was by simply making the Home Owner Exemption meaningful again by indexing for inflation... Sacramento was unwilling to do this so a groundswell of voter support swept Prop 13 into law...

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My property tax on a 1700 square foot 1956 home in Oakland is $9,000... I would hardly call this low.
Right, but at least you knew how much the property tax would be before you bought the house. You want high property taxes, my parents pay $16k a year in IL on a house worth ~$700k. And, even worse than you, the taxes have gone up $2k since the bubble burst despite the value of the house dropping $200k. You ought to be really angry at the guy down the street from you with a $400k house paying 1/3 as much you in property taxes because of prop 13. He's getting a free ride at your expense.

I think higher property taxes and lower income taxes would be more progressive than our current system. It would also create a steadier stream of taxes for CA. Right now, with high marginal tax rates, the state only brings in a lot of money when the economy is booming and the wealthiest residents are realizing big capital gains, large bonuses etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California