U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,410,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Sorry I scared you... Yes believe it or not some people have a viewpoint different than yours...

I said I am personally opposed to euthanasia. Likely we share the viewpoint..

However, unlike you I do not feel the right to impose my beliefs on others... Many cultures have embraced euthanasia to some extent for a variety of reasons... (That is their business not mine!)

Here we are again... You feel your beliefs are the only "truth" and are "right".. You are intolerant of any belief system that does not fit with yours... THIS is the problem... It is you and your need to dictate whatever you think to others....
If being "personally opposed to euthanasia" means only that you will not, personally, kill another human being at their request, but you don't mind if others do, then it's no more significant than having a favorite ice cream flavor.

Kinda like saying:

"I'm personally opposed to killing Canadians just for fun, but hey, other people have different beliefs! I'm not going to impose my personal morality on Americans who like using Canadians for target practice!"

"I'm personally opposed to Naziism, but I don't believe in imposing my personal morality on Nazis! We should be more tolerant of other belief systems."

"I'm personally opposed to shoplifting, but I don't believe in imposing my personal morality on shoplifters. We shouldn't be judgmental about other people's values."

Well, I was going to stay out of your way until you showed up on my thread. Let's face it: if there's one belief system that can't get along with anyone on any level, it's the nihilistic belief that truth is relative. Because no sane person believes that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,424,277 times
Quote:
it's the nihilistic belief that truth is relative.
How can truth be relative?

How can truth not be relative?

How can truth be nihilistic?

Why do Conservatives prefer belief to truth?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM

19,001 posts, read 16,222,012 times
Quote:
Why do Conservatives prefer belief to truth?
Only the far right. Not all conservative fit into the same mold, anymore than all liberals do.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,424,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Only the far right. Not all conservative fit into the same mold, anymore than all liberals do.
I would agree with you, but I find reasonable conservatives scarce as hens teeth. You can see on this very forum ideologues, whose ideologies are at odds with facts, and yet, that bothers them not at all.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM

19,001 posts, read 16,222,012 times
Yes you can. This place gives them a "voice" they would likely otherwise lack. I try to look at the entertainment value.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,004,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
If being "personally opposed to euthanasia" means only that you will not, personally, kill another human being at their request, but you don't mind if others do, then it's no more significant than having a favorite ice cream flavor.

Kinda like saying:

"I'm personally opposed to killing Canadians just for fun, but hey, other people have different beliefs! I'm not going to impose my personal morality on Americans who like using Canadians for target practice!"

"I'm personally opposed to Nazism, but I don't believe in imposing my personal morality on Nazis! We should be more tolerant of other belief systems."

"I'm personally opposed to shoplifting, but I don't believe in imposing my personal morality on shoplifters. We shouldn't be judgmental about other people's values."

Well, I was going to stay out of your way until you showed up on my thread. Let's face it: if there's one belief system that can't get along with anyone on any level, it's the nihilistic belief that truth is relative. Because no sane person believes that.
Nice try.. LOL
Can you not tell the difference between personal choices that do not hurt others and acts that harm others?....

Tell me how Joe blow suffering from some terrible illness choosing to be euthanized compares to killing innocent Canadians, or supporting Nazis or thieves????

No, the point here is you have your "truths" and "morals" that you want to impose on others! Plain and simple.. You want to impose your ideals/morals on others...

Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 PM

12,250 posts, read 8,395,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
But isn't this a problem everywhere, not endemic to the state of California?
Live alone? You're not alone - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: