Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,220,133 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against hogs, I was trying to point out that there's 6X more hogs in Iowa than people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,626,925 times
Most people don't really care where they live, they want a house like everyone else's handy access to Starbucks and other chain stores and chain restaurants, for them Iowa, Arkansas, Los Angeles are all pretty much the same.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM

17,383 posts, read 11,888,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thank you for your move, and for your efforts to get more to follow. Anything you can think that will help the outflow, please let us know.

Apparently we need more of them.
Because California is doing so well? Well, haters gonna hate. And your attitude is a large part of why I left. You really think that having people like myself - hard working, fiscally responsible, and motivated - leave is for the best? Interesting.....

Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM

17,383 posts, read 11,888,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Flat, no forest, high winds. Below zero in the winter and over 100 in the summer. Aw heellll nawww.
Ever been to the valley? The Sierras?

Probably not, since gas is going down throughout the entire US, but going UP in California.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,154,402 times
Hopefully for the Governor the federal government doesn't say "we are coming to take your ethanol subsidies".

Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Probably not, since gas is going down throughout the entire US, but going UP in California.
Been there, going again this summer for a North to South vacation. 27 foot travel trailer and 1 ton diesel.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,626,925 times
Quote:
Because California is doing so well? Well, haters gonna hate. And your attitude is a large part of why I left. You really think that having people like myself - hard working, fiscally responsible, and motivated - leave is for the best? Interesting.....

You could have left it at just "people" without all the modifiers. Not sure who is hating what, you need to define your attacks. It is people, of what ever sort that have made this California less than it was. With 5 million people it was a fine place. I don't care if some one is working 140 hours a week, or loafing on welfare, it is being here that is the problem.

Quote:

If the price of gas is a problem for anyone, they made some pretty poor career choices.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,189,663 times
I lived in Iowa for a couple years and loved it. Plenty of places to fish, hunt, even golf. Not too many places though that I don't like. I mean I like California, LOL. About the only thing that I didn't like about Iowa was living down wind from a hog processing plant. Sure it is good if you like the smell of ham, but to smell ham 24 -7 and never get any kind of reliefe, is not too much fun.

As far as companies moving out of the state, it is very possible when a company is expanding and decides to expand somewhere else. Take HASS Automation in Oxnard, CA. They have been looking at Texes and may build a plant there. (Maybe they didn't get Brandstads invite to move to Iowa.) Building a plant in Texes would allow them to expand and start focusing on getting out of the California area. They like Oxnard because it is cheap to ship at the Port of Hueneme. That will change though when the Panama Canal is expanded to hold the larger ships. Being in Texes won't be as big of problem.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,926,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim;
I think I'd prefer Texas, myself. Iowa is too close to Minnesota.
Texas is just too hot & dry esp during the long summer.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM

199 posts, read 615,858 times
New Jersey's governor tried the same thing luring companies from Illinois after Illinois' governor Quinn raised taxes through the roof. Businesses cried and stamped their feet and stayed and paid in Illinois. Lot of B.S. if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California