Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times

Advertisements

I like Chico. I would have bought a house there if it wasn't $75,000 more than for a similar Oroville house. Considering how cheap real estate is up here that's a massive percentage difference. For that I can drive the 22 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,580,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Maybe it's the Mennonites that does this, but it looks like rural PA on a sunny day.
The horses and pies, surely remind me of back home in PA, all they need now is some Shoo-Fly Pie.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I've spent some time in rural PA myself. There are definitely similarities.
Where in PA?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,580,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Where in PA?
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and the surrounding area. Gorgeous countryside, great people, though Scranton itself seemed a bit on the grouchy side.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and the surrounding area. Gorgeous countryside, great people, though Scranton itself seemed a bit on the grouchy side.
Okay, yeah parts of NEPA is different. I'm from Central PA originally which is full of Mennonites and Amish, a lot of prime farmland and unspoiled landscape. Not much in jobs though. Scranton/W-B aside from the Poconos was always gritty, Coal Regions started just east of me and went up to that area, a lot of the land was strip mined for Anthracite and it looks it to this day. Some creeks still are rust colored from all the mining run-off with no life in them.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Okay, yeah parts of NEPA is different. I'm from Central PA originally which is full of Mennonites and Amish, a lot of prime farmland and unspoiled landscape. Not much in jobs though. Scranton/W-B aside from the Poconos was always gritty, Coal Regions started just east of me and went up to that area, a lot of the land was strip mined for Anthracite and it looks it to this day. Some creeks still are rust colored from all the mining run-off with no life in them.
Yes, that's the explanation I was given for the apparent "grouchiness" of Scranton. Tough history there and economically depressed for years. Went into the Poconos a little, and north to cross the NY line just because. Didn't see any Amish or Mennonites. :-) Spent a week in Pittsburgh, too, and drove from there to NoVA. Never spent time in Central PA but one always hears that it's postcard idyllic.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM

My favorite little town in PA was Dalton with its prominent Irish pub. Walked the streets a bit, locals enjoying the afternoon on their front porches, everyone waves.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,683,505 times
I don't want to hijack the thread, but PA is changing. The natural gas found here and the drilling has brought changes. Also, in some places there are now demographic changes as well. So, Chico might be more PA than PA! Still a beautiful place, IMO. Those green hills!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Didn't see any Amish or Mennonites. :-) Spent a week in Pittsburgh, too, and drove from there to NoVA. Never spent time in Central PA but one always hears that it's postcard idyllic.
Lancaster is the notorious spot, but a lot of people don't know that there is a big population in Central PA, Snyder, Mifflin and Juniata and Perry Counties. Last time I was up in PA, I saw more of them then when I lived there. Relative told me more are moving up from Lancaster. That part of PA is not very populated, Chico is bigger than any city in Central PA except the Harrisburg Metro Area. Lot's of River Valleys, creeks, rolling hills and some decent mountains to the west.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but PA is changing. The natural gas found here and the drilling has brought changes. Also, in some places there are now demographic changes as well. So, Chico might be more PA than PA! Still a beautiful place, IMO. Those green hills!
They are drooling over that windfall which in my opinion will only wreck the state once several fracking jobs fail. Most of the drilling locations have been in NEPA and North Central, nothing yet where most of the fertile farmland is. It is changing things though. At least Chico won't ever have to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California