U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 PM

51 posts, read 136,583 times
Default Sunny, Liberal, Cheap(ish) Place to Live

I was born and raised in San Francisco and have been living in the fog for most of my life. I need to go live somewhere cheap while I finish a novel. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world and I am sooooooo sick of the fog. I want to move somewhere where I can wear sundresses and sandals for most of the year and not have to drive a fancy car to fit in. I am a CA resident and know how prices here can be, but I feel there must be some generally affordable place that's warm, and where liberal people live, where I don't have to drive a Mercedes and wear make-up whenever I go out.

Everyone tells me my "people" are up in Portland, and I'd meet the man of my dreams and make a millions friends if I moved there, but I just cannot stand all that rain and darkness. I lived in Seattle for a year and it was hell for me. I'm not about to try Portland. Isn't there somewhere in So Cal where chill people live in flip-flops, close to nature, and the rents aren't that high? (Like $700 or under for a 400 sq ft place? I don't need anything large or fancy, I don't want to live close to any "happening" place in a big city and I don't need to live near the beach.) Something in the San Diego area? I realize that anywhere close to the beach is probably going to be expensive. Desert is fine, instead. Also, I'd rather not live in a big city (i.e. not Long Beach)

Anybody know of a warm, sunny little hippy town that isn't too expensive? I would move to Arcata but it's foggy and cold there all the time. Also, I can't move to Santa Cruz. It's expensive and foggy.

Are there warm littl hippy towns that are cheap? Something on the outskirts of San Diego? Something in San Bernardino or San Luis Obispo?

Right now I'm thinking about somewhere near Santa Rosa, or maybe Russian River if I can find a place that isn't in a dark gulch.

I would also consider Arizona or New Mexico I tend to think those states are conservative, and the hippy places are expensive. Am I wrong?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 04:04 PM

11,727 posts, read 23,997,516 times
Liberals tend to inhabit expensive, crowded coastal cities and further raise the cost of living with feel-good regulations and NIMBYism. Any small town liberal enclaves tend to be expensive tourist driven areas where old money lives but you can't find a job better than McDonalds.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM

1,625 posts, read 929,499 times
Taos is very hip and liberal...IMO many towns in New Mexico have a neat vibe.. Flagstaff is pretty cool too...

I suspect you should be able to find something in Sonoma county that fits the bill, for hippy town...

Maybe Santa Cruz? IMO central coast is not hippyish, maybe right on the coast some towns, but you want to get away from the fog..

Yes Liberal areas are desirable and command a premium...

.... Where as conservative areas, are undesirable, because everyone has a bad attitude, negative and complaining about everything, and they rape and pillage the landscape so the areas are toxic dump. All in the name of corperate profit.....

Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 87,882 times
Austin, Texas

Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 907,019 times
Santa Rosa's a great town--pretty pricey though. Davis, Chico and parts of Sacramento might be good choices. Also certain Sierra foothills could fit the bill--Grass Valley and Nevada City come to mind.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,124,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1214 View Post
I was born and raised in San Francisco and have been living in the fog for most of my life. I need to go live somewhere cheap while I finish a novel. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world and I am sooooooo sick of the fog. I want to move somewhere where I can wear sundresses and sandals for most of the year and not have to drive a fancy car to fit in. I am a CA resident and know how prices here can be, but I feel there must be some generally affordable place that's warm, and where liberal people live, where I don't have to drive a Mercedes and wear make-up whenever I go out.

Everyone tells me my "people" are up in Portland, and I'd meet the man of my dreams and make a millions friends if I moved there, but I just cannot stand all that rain and darkness. I lived in Seattle for a year and it was hell for me. I'm not about to try Portland. Isn't there somewhere in So Cal where chill people live in flip-flops, close to nature, and the rents aren't that high? (Like $700 or under for a 400 sq ft place? I don't need anything large or fancy, I don't want to live close to any "happening" place in a big city and I don't need to live near the beach.) Something in the San Diego area? I realize that anywhere close to the beach is probably going to be expensive. Desert is fine, instead. Also, I'd rather not live in a big city (i.e. not Long Beach)

Anybody know of a warm, sunny little hippy town that isn't too expensive? I would move to Arcata but it's foggy and cold there all the time. Also, I can't move to Santa Cruz. It's expensive and foggy.

Are there warm littl hippy towns that are cheap? Something on the outskirts of San Diego? Something in San Bernardino or San Luis Obispo?

Right now I'm thinking about somewhere near Santa Rosa, or maybe Russian River if I can find a place that isn't in a dark gulch.

I would also consider Arizona or New Mexico I tend to think those states are conservative, and the hippy places are expensive. Am I wrong?

Thanks!
Some people just hate diversity and living by anyone who doesn't see things their way. Oh and they want all the goodies but a low to no cost to them. Look how well that is working for CA as a whole, and the SF area now.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:17 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Liberals are normally better educated and thus command higher incomes, driving up the COL.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
jw2

1,008 posts, read 804,431 times
Ojai

Old 05-27-2012, 07:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,464,552 times
Chico. A little cool and wet in the winter, but you'll definitely dry out during the blazing hot summers.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM

51 posts, read 136,583 times
You guys are awesome! In a few hours after posting my question, I got all these great answers! Thank you all very much for your responses. I think you're right on all counts. And it's true that liberals tend to be more educated, therefore have higher income and live in expensive places. I'll take a look and see what I can find. Right now I'm leaning towards Chico/Dixon or New Mexico. Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California