Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I believe the "thousand miles of water ways" is the square miles the Delta encompasses.

It is a Natural California Gem to be sure.
I am at 779 miles, and got bored. I still have Suisun Bay Marshes to plot, but, it does appear that there is roughly a thousand miles of water way. Just the old river channel from Stockton to Carquinez Straits is 93 miles.

Last edited by .highnlite; 05-29-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,194,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I already live in the "real" Mississippi Delta, so I have no desire to move to California's version of it, which I think exists somewhere in the San Joaquin Valley.
Pretty good guess. Much of what the OP was seeking can be found in many of the cities and towns along Highway 99 between Bakersfield and Stockton, minus of course the water, so make it a dry delta.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I am at 779 miles, and got bored. I still have Suisun Bay Marshes to plot, but, it does appear that there is roughly a thousand miles of water way. Just the old river channel from Stockton to Carquinez Straits is 93 miles.
Lmao ... good for you, .high ...
lowest number I believe I recall quoted is over 900 miles ...
highest is about 1200 miles of "navigable" waterways ...

I 'spect "navigable" depends on yer boat ...
houseboats is one kinda boat ...
kayaks be 'nuther thing ...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:

Good to know seeing as how I live 1/2 mile from the nearest connecting slough.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
If I lived where you lived, I'd get a boat big enough to sleep on, shallow draft, and spend time exploring, sorta like Tom Sawyer with beer and gasoline.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
If I lived where you lived, I'd get a boat big enough to sleep on, shallow draft, and spend time exploring, sorta like Tom Sawyer with beer and gasoline.
Kids.

Spent lots of time on the Delta when I was single and before the first whelp came along.

Lost Isle.

Many nights fishing with beer, bait and Kentucky fried chicken.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
What the OP described, can describe many rural, impoverished areas.

However, yes California does have its own delta, in a literal sense. The San Joaquin-Sacramento delta that empties out into the Bay Area. While there still are some large marshy areas, most of it has been diked and controlled for rice fields. You wouldn't even know you were in California. People don't think of delta, marshy areas when they think of California.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Time to develop your evac plan ...
Quote:
Kids.

Spent lots of time on the Delta when I was single and before the first whelp came along.

Lost Isle.

Many nights fishing with beer, bait and Kentucky fried chicken.
Lost Isle is not in the Delta ... it is in Bacchanalia ...

Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,714,412 times
Actually, California is NOT as "...opposite of Mississippi as you can get". Not anymore.

California is now running neck and neck with Mississippi for such distinctions as Lowest Average IQ, and Least Educated.

The synergy between two salient trends, insane Liberalism and the importation of a problematic underclass, are transmogrifying the once-golden state into something worse than the worst nightmare vision of Mississippi.

The whole nation is turning into one big Mississippi. But California (always the trend-leader) is ahead of the pack in the race to dumb-down and go Third World.

Having read Amber Hollibaugh's biography (was cybersleuthing Brad Hollibaugh the megastud, and her book caught my eye), and having had a housekeeper at a rental in the Malibu Colony who might as well have been Amber's hetero doppelganger...both being from the same place and social class (both describing perplexingly reckless social norms for that region)... I'd have to say the area around Bakersfield. I'm projecting this, assuming replacement of the original blondish underclass of ag workers with a new and distinctly non-blond underclass. It was gritty, before. I'm thinking it's horrendous, today.

Articles written by people like Joe Guzzardi lead me to believe that growing areas of the state are becoming so packed with problems, it's difficult to practice agriculture, anymore.

Northern California is hardly immune. Someone was telling me about a woman whose family farm is in the county where the main industry is 'weed'. The farm was basically stolen by a cousin (by order of an obviously corrupt judge), who announced at the Thanksgiving dinner table that he was going to put the farm into 'weed' production. Basically, it's a forced buyout, with payments to other family members, stretching out for decades. Theft, basically, since inflation (and probable hyperinflation) will quickly reduce the buying power of those payments. So apparently, you won't even be able to defend your assets in California, unless you are 'connected' to an ascendant criminal network.

I was looking at a national Gang Activity Map. Vermillion was the color for the highest concentration of gang activity. The largest patch of Vermillion in the nation, by far, was San Bernardino County. So that area would be my second guess.

But if you're looking for wretched, you can't beat the Salton Sea. Decaying Ruins at Bombay Beach at the Salton Sea - April 30, 2011 - YouTube

Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 AM

Well, thank you Lake Oswego, Oregon for your delightful anecdotes -- for which I am sure you have sources to verify the claims of lowest IQ and least educated and for the difficulties farmers are experiencing in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California