Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My generation up next to retire will have a different feel to it. That feel is going to resemble working unless you want to cut way back on your usual style.
If "[cutting] back on your usual style" means living sensibly and minimally, it would be an improvement for everyone, including the retirees ... just sayin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well the "kids" celebrating the fact that older people are no longer going to be able to ever retire should realize that that keeps a lot of jobs for themselves from opening up.

I do think it's ridiculous that state employees could expect to retire at age 50 and live the high life for their next 40 years, but if there's a job problem now while they were retiring at age 50, just think how it's going to be with them hanging onto their jobs for 40 more years.
Of course oldsters will rarely, if ever, be capable of working into their 90's. Most employers won't want it, most jobs can't be performed with the limitations those ages impose. In some cases, such as being a retail door greeter, working into one's 70's might steal a few jobs from youth ... but what youth would seek such a job?

Now, before anyone screams, I am getting pretty long in the tooth myself, and am quite capable of being quite productive in certain professions. Yes, oldsters can contribute in certain areas. But the overall fear of seniors commanding much of the employment market is overblown. They certainly aren't going to be LEO's and firefighters, no work on municipal services crews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well the "kids" celebrating the fact that older people are no longer going to be able to ever retire should realize that that keeps a lot of jobs for themselves from opening up.

I do think it's ridiculous that state employees could expect to retire at age 50 and live the high life for their next 40 years, but if there's a job problem now while they were retiring at age 50, just think how it's going to be with them hanging onto their jobs for 40 more years.
I just don't see people working until they drop dead. A lot of people end up with serious disabilities in their 50s (often because they didn't take care of themselves). I think most people will work a few extra years and then live out their old age in poverty or semi-poverty.

Fact Check: Most state employees can't retire until 55 at the earliest. It's generally the police, firefighters, and prison guards who can retire at 50, and they normally get a higher % of their incomes than the other state employees.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Good post. I have always tried to save as if I wasn't going to get a pension...but it's really really tough when over the last 15.5 years that I've been working full time, investment returns have been pretty crappy, and now 13% of my pay is going to a benefit that I wonder if I will even get.

Yes, I know, others have it worse. But I do hope those in the older generation understand the uphill climb it's been over the last decade for the younger folks, even the ones who've mostly done the right thing (avoiding/minimizing debt, saving a significant chunk of salary for retirement, etc.)
Yep, spent the last 10 years getting rid of all debt. I have no debt now, own my home free and clear and all my vehicles, etc. Will be retiring this year and the vast bulk will come from the business I started 26 years ago. I will let my employees run it, share profit with them, They helped me and they deserve part of the profit now that they will be carrying more of the load.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Unions at war with math, reality | UTSanDiego.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California