Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
YUCK, Elvis.
For a long time had never really been into Elvis, and back when Elvis sightings were routinely on the cover of the now defunct National Enquirer (''Enquiring minds wanna know!''), I used to make fun of Elvis a lot. And one year I even sent out xmas cards that included some goofy send-up of Elvis. Well wouldn'tcha know that friends and relatives started figuring that I really must love the guy, and ever since then I continue to get all sorts of weird Elvis souvenirs as birthday, xmas gifts, etc.! Poetic justice and obviously the King is getting back at me now for dissing his greatness (...LOL)!

BTW, speaking of 'cults', California has a long tradition of folks getting into non-mainstream religions (perhaps part of ''finding themselves'' here). The popularity of New Age beliefs, Mormons, EST, Scientologists, Krishnas, Uranians, etc. are naturally all part of that phenomenon. But IMO so are most of the Evangelicals that have also become so common now, and it's just that there are so many more of 'em (that, and they like to organize & do "marketing")!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
yeah, last Friday was Jehovah Wit "hit the neighborhoods" day in Fontana. Two of them started to walk up my driveway while I was out there loading the truck, but then they saw my big yellow pit/lab standing there staring at them and decided to obey the no trespassing sign.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
yeah, last Friday was Jehovah Wit "hit the neighborhoods" day in Fontana. Two of them started to walk up my driveway while I was out there loading the truck, but then they saw my big yellow pit/lab standing there staring at them and decided to obey the no trespassing sign.
The "big yellow pit/lab" that won't even chase a ball?

Anyway, why would zealots fear a dog when they have god to protect them on their crusades in his name? ... oh nevermind ... just another rhetorical from null ...

I'm wondering, Mateo ... you have made numerous references to fundies and Mormons and other religious groups in various threads. I recognize that California has been pretty "new age-y" all along ... but I never got much of a religious hit, even new-age-y, when I lived there centuries ago -- nor do I ever in more recent wanderings each year now. Or am I just wearing some obvious sign of the devil that they avoid me? I do growl when approached by young men wearing shined black shoes, pressed black pants, and short-sleeved white shirts with clip on black ties that only reach halfway to their belts. But, by golly, seriously, I don't recall any of that in California.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Ain't much new agey going on around here Null. What there is can kinda be found in the Tower District generally. Course people spread out and live all over.

Every once in a while I see two same dressed type bicycling around. Those would be the Mormon missionaries.

Once every blue moon someone walks the neighborhood looking to save souls.

Mateo of all churches that could exist, ain't there a church of Elvis?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The "big yellow pit/lab" that won't even chase a ball?
Yeah, the same dog. The one that's a horrible watchdog because she loves any bipedal lifeform. But THEY don't know that...

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I'm wondering, Mateo ... you have made numerous references to fundies and Mormons and other religious groups in various threads. I recognize that California has been pretty "new age-y" all along ... but I never got much of a religious hit, even new-age-y, when I lived there centuries ago -- nor do I ever in more recent wanderings each year now. Or am I just wearing some obvious sign of the devil that they avoid me? I do growl when approached by young men wearing shined black shoes, pressed black pants, and short-sleeved white shirts with clip on black ties that only reach halfway to their belts. But, by golly, seriously, I don't recall any of that in California.
Understood, and dunno what's ''representative'' or maybe things have changed now, but I actually live in a pretty conservative small community here in the Sierra foothills. And even outside of my personal social circle, have regularly encountered plenty of mormons and evangelicals, and also not infrequently see locals in the characteristic caps and clothing of Hutterites or one of those similar ''amish-looking'' groups. My elderly neighbor even gave me a pretty well-made christian DVD, telling the "real" truth about mormons!

Throw in lotsa local Rapture and similar ''christian'' bumper strips, the literature left on my windshield, and regular door-to-door 'proselytizers' (of several stripes), and it's not difficult to get the impression that at least this area has plenty of ''zealots'' of one sort or another. And that's before we even start talking about all the nearby ''ashrams'', ''temples'', ''spirit retreats'', and ''meetups for spiritually-aware souls''!

Gee Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas any more!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
When I lived in the woods near Paradise, a local church came up with the bumper sticker "I Found It!" Meaning Jesus I guess. Nearly every car in the town sported that bumper sticker, ceptin' us hippies in our VW's

Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, speaking of 'cults', California has a long tradition of folks getting into non-mainstream religions (perhaps part of ''finding themselves'' here). The popularity of New Age beliefs, Mormons, EST, Scientologists, Krishnas, Uranians, etc. are naturally all part of that phenomenon. But IMO so are most of the Evangelicals that have also become so common now, and it's just that there are so many more of 'em (that, and they like to organize & do "marketing")!
What? No Mackeral Snappers?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM

The cult of personality!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Ain't much new agey going on around here Null. What there is can kinda be found in the Tower District generally. Course people spread out and live all over.

Every once in a while I see two same dressed type bicycling around. Those would be the Mormon missionaries.

Once every blue moon someone walks the neighborhood looking to save souls.

Mateo of all churches that could exist, ain't there a church of Elvis?
'Tis true, totally automated and located in Portlandia no less (though apparently it folded recently)!
I know, I know, now 'ya got me posting Youtube videos too.... LOL!

24 Hour Church of Elvis - YouTube

Last edited by mateo45; 03-19-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California