Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

Which half should I give up? Upper, lower, right, left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 07:06 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You just don't know how hard a struggle I have had to limit this answer to, ..................... not saying anything.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:14 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Allow me to suggest all four halves ...

Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 18,716 times
Grew up in San Diego. Moved to NV for a few years in the late 90's. Moved back to CA. Moved to TX 4 years ago and planning to return PERMANENTLY to CA in 3 years when hubby retires. Too far off but counting the days. Just glad there's all those people who plan to move out of CA so there will be more room for me! If you left CA and don't want to move back you just haven't been gone long enough.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared View Post
Grew up in San Diego. Moved to NV for a few years in the late 90's. Moved back to CA. Moved to TX 4 years ago and planning to return PERMANENTLY to CA in 3 years when hubby retires. Too far off but counting the days. Just glad there's all those people who plan to move out of CA so there will be more room for me! If you left CA and don't want to move back you just haven't been gone long enough.
Dream on. Long enough ain't long enough.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
I moved out of California almost 5 yrs ago and have been living on Long Island. I was born and raised in CA, lived there 47 yrs. I was raised next to a dairy farm, 18 miles from LAX. California is not what it use to be but it is home, and I miss home. My family (mother, sister, nephew, sons, grand-kids) are all in California. I'm currently looking to go back home, but I'm realistic in the fact that it's going to take some time to either find a job or have my company open another slot for me in California. I'm lucky I'm in a specialized field, but still jobs are hard to come by. I figure it should take a year or maybe two, my true goal is by August of 2013.

Long Island is nice I live in a small town on the north shore, old fishing village. No traffic for me going to work, walkable town, quiet ... it's nice, but it's not home. I travel every year back home to visit family but it's not enough, I want to be around my sons and my grand-kids. My mother is aging and I want to spend some time with her. I miss home, even though it's not what it use to be when I grew up there, I'm realistic about going HOME, it's not going to be easy, but I will get there!!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 AM

76 posts, read 244,291 times
Moved to Metro Denver in 2006, thanking God we were able to come back to CA in 2011!!! I will never bad mouth California again!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
This is a very common story of people moving away only to discover the place one really wants to be is in California. Many times folks move in reaction to change which most agree was not for the better. But California is still California, a beautful state with incredible coastlines, mountains, redwood forests, deserts, rolling hills, vineyards, etc... It still has the best weather on the West Coast as well as the nation for most ppl. It has tremendous history and family ties for natives. The multicultural mosaic is hard to find in other places which includes awesome authentic foods from around the globe. Yes, it has its faults, problems, political messes, etc... like anywhere. But once you realize its still home to most things important its hard not to be drawn back. Quality of life goes far beyond the cost of cheaper homes somewhere else.

We moved to the beautiful state of Colorado along with other family and friends for all the common reasons. However after several years we came to realize that the West Coast was ultimately where we wanted be for the long term. It was a fun ride living somewhere different, so definately no regrets there. Since that time other family and friends have made similar independent choices to return. For some it was harder logistically (selling homes, finding work, etc...) than for others. But the desire was still strong none the less. I was actually quite surprised how strong the pull was. Initially I tried to surpress it and enjoy the new area which worked for a time. But eventually the pull grew and became more obvious, just something one realizes about what is best for oneself and their family. When you are having dreams of the ocean, walking along the beach with your family, its hard to ignore.

The major difference for us as well as others who returned was we chose a different, less crowded part of the state. Being such a large state has the advantage in offering a greater variety of places to live. My father-in-law and his wife just sold their home in CO and found a reasonably priced home in Santa Maria. We actually have less traffic in Monterey than we had in Colorado Springs. Over the years we've managed to move to less impacted regions which has been a great change for the better.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-17-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
I drove down I5 today, temps between 105-109, then over 41 and down 101 to the coast. 65 in Pismo Beach. That is a 40 degree temperature difference in two places less than 100 miles apart.

That sort of temperature differential is rare in other parts of the country, and accounts for some of the great climate and vegetation differences that make this state interesting.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I drove down I5 today, temps between 105-109, then over 41 and down 101 to the coast. 65 in Pismo Beach. That is a 40 degree temperature difference in two places less than 100 miles apart.

That sort of temperature differential is rare in other parts of the country, and accounts for some of the great climate and vegetation differences that make this state interesting.
Or kind of the opposite - ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon. Never did it but it would be possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California