Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM

667 posts, read 515,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
But peoples' heights don't affect their access to wealth and opportunity ... "intelligence, talent, family origin", and certain other innately bestowed qualities do. So your comparison is pointless.

Also curious that you apparently consider taxation a form of punishment -- and conversely, low taxation a form of reward. This odd attitude as opposed to taxes being a grateful consideration for the degree of success resulting from one's opportunity realized -- contributed willingly to support the infrastructure of the society that fed the successful opportunity.
Welcome back.

I am not suprised you want to tax people on "intelligence, talent, family origin".

I consider taxation a means to fund government expenditures.

The best method to do so is a flat tax.

Let's all be grateful and contribute the same percent.

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
The liberal paradigm is what makes California the envy of the country. Outside of a worldwide economic collapse, California's only real problem has been the obstructionists who think California should look like North Carolina or Alabama.
I am not sure about the "envy of the country", if you are referring to the US, but Cali does have great weather and nice landscape variety.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Welcome back.

I am not suprised you want to tax people on "intelligence, talent, family origin".

I consider taxation a means to fund government expenditures.

The best method to do so is a flat tax.

Let's all be grateful and contribute the same percent.

Problem solved.
Nothing better than a day with grandkids to reinforce perspectives.

I have no desire whatsoever to tax people on "intelligence, talent, family origin" ... and never wrote any such thing. I do feel that progressively taxing degrees of "material success / wealth" is the most appropriate way to fund our society. Inasmuch as innate "intelligence, talent, family origin" contribute to material success, they may be seen as advantages in that process that are not available equally to all of society on a "given" basis. But I don't agree that they are in of themselves taxable qualities. You do seem to have a propensity for inserting your own words and meanings into others' comments.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Nothing better than a day with grandkids to reinforce perspectives.

I have no desire whatsoever to tax people on "intelligence, talent, family origin" ... and never wrote any such thing. I do feel that progressively taxing degrees of "material success / wealth" is the most appropriate way to fund our society. Inasmuch as innate "intelligence, talent, family origin" contribute to material success, they may be seen as advantages in that process that are not available equally to all of society on a "given" basis.
We all have opportunities and abilities. We should find ways to celebrate each others successes and not envy them. We should consider others and help to provide basic needs to those who cannot help themselves.

To fund government financial needs from earnings, we should use a flat tax that allows everyone the same opportunity to contribute in relationship to their earnings.

Have a great day with the grandkids. I hope you spend quality time with them. I hope to hear from you arfter that quality time.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
We all have opportunities and abilities. We should find ways to celebrate each others successes and not envy them. We should consider others and help to provide basic needs to those who cannot help themselves.

To fund government financial needs from earnings, we should use a flat tax that allows everyone the same opportunity to contribute in relationship to their earnings.

Have a great day with the grandkids. I hope you spend quality time with them. I hope to hear from you arfter that quality time.
Grandkids were yesterday ... why I was apparently "absent" just when you desired my presence so much as to miss me and now "welcome [me] back".

We do all have opportunities and abilities, indeed. But not all have the kinds of opportunities and abilities that translate to material success -- and certainly we do not all have those in equal measure ... which is why equal percentage taxation -- flat-tax -- is inappropriate in a consumer-capitalist society that is built and dominated on pyramidal tiers, where certain advantages are particularly, peculiarly, protected and given preference and access.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Grandkids were yesterday ... why I was apparently "absent" just when you desired my presence so much as to miss me and now "welcome [me] back".

We do all have opportunities and abilities, indeed. But not all have the kinds of opportunities and abilities that translate to material success -- and certainly we do not all have those in equal measure ... which is why equal percentage taxation -- flat-tax -- is inappropriate in a consumer-capitalist society that is built and dominated on pyramidal tiers, where certain advantages are particularly, peculiarly, protected and given preference and access.
Welcome back is a common phrase to offer a friendly jesture of recognition. If you need to read more into it then that is up to you. Nonetheless, at the risk of an infered marriage proposal, it is good to hear from you again.

Taxation should not be hijacked to correct what some in a society considers an injustice.

My suggestion is to promote everyones abilities and opportunities rather than to try to envy others' successes.

A flat tax is to fund a government equally in proportion to income.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
... Taxation should not be hijacked to correct what some in a society considers an injustice.

My suggestion is to promote everyones abilities and opportunities rather than to try to envy others' successes.

A flat tax is to fund a government equally in proportion to income.
Yes, we all know what a flat tax is by definition. And no one is hijacking taxation to correct injustice. What a flat tax does NOT do (see: no italics ... just all caps this time, for variety) is tax in proportion to benefit received.

Promoting everyone's abilities is a very magnanimous and humanistic gesture.
Personally, I don't recognize financial wealth as any measure whatsoever of "success" -- so you'll find no envy of others' wealthy financial positions in me.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, we all know what a flat tax is by definition. And no one is hijacking taxation to correct injustice. What a flat tax does NOT do (see: no italics ... just all caps this time, for variety) is tax in proportion to benefit received.

Promoting everyone's abilities is a very magnanimous and humanistic gesture.
Personally, I don't recognize financial wealth as any measure whatsoever of "success" -- so you'll find no envy of others' wealthy financial positions in me.

I think it is a mistake not to consider the ability to provide for yourself and family as a success.

There are many ways to be successful.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I think it is a mistake not to consider the ability to provide for yourself and family as a success.

There are many ways to be successful.
There certainly are many ways to be successful. Especially with one's individual health of mind, body, and soul ... none of which require hardly any money at all -- and certainly do not require what is commonly thought of as "wealth". So too are there many ways to "succeed" as a member of one's social species -- specifically in service of others, as well as maintaining one's self responsibly and joyfully.

The ability to provide for one's self and family follows the same lines as I describe above ... financial wealth is not required in the slightest. The worst examples of lack of service and citizenship can be found in members of the wealthiest classes, who obsessively pursue wealth and power by treating others, individually and collectively as a species, with utter disdain and disregard.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

[quote=nullgeo;24929567]There certainly are many ways to be successful. Especially with one's individual health of mind, body, and soul ... none of which require hardly any money at all -- and certainly do not require what is commonly thought of as "wealth". So too are there many ways to "succeed" as a member of one's social species -- specifically in service of others, as well as maintaining one's self responsibly and joyfully.

The ability to provide for one's self and family follows the same lines as I describe above ... financial wealth is not required in the slightest. The worst examples of lack of service and citizenship can be found in members of the wealthiest classes, who obsessively pursue wealth and power by treating others, individually and collectively as a species, with utter disdain and disregard.[/quote]

The best examples are in that same wealthiest class who share their earned income with those in need. What is even more impressive is to see them give of their time and knowledge to others that want to provide for themselves. It is great to see hands reaching out to others. I would like to see more hands reaching out to help rather than reaching out to grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California