Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2,268 posts, read 7,318,887 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate some feedback on areas to explore when we visit San Luis Obispo. We are looking for an area with great climate (70's-80's during day would be ideal) and nice scenery. We are looking to buy a home on some acreage so we can have a garden. We do not want to be in a subdivision, gated community, or any place that offers "ammenities".

I have seen some nice homes in our price range (600-700K) in Paso Robles, Atascadero and Templeton. Any thoughts on those areas? I like their proximity to SLO for Costco, etc. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM

3,721 posts, read 14,698,676 times
Cayucos, CA - California beach resort town visitor information - about 20 miles from SLO. Has cool weather and some morning fog.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks but I think we'd prefer to be further inland. Any thoughts on the Paso Robles area?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM

168 posts, read 553,048 times
You haven't really asked some key questions like a) do you/will you need a job? b) do you have kids?

Honestly, I do the drive everyday to the north county down to San Luis. It gets tiring. I work in the North County and there are defiantly great deals to be had for Tempelton/Atascadero within that price range. You can pretty much get one hell of a house for under 450K on the westside of Atown (desirable area). Paso just seems to far away from San Luis for costco. Round trip you are looking at 65 miles plus when compared to Atascadero or Tempelton, however the north county can roast during the summer (upwards of 100 degrees, typical highs in the low 90's) and can get downright chilly in the winter. For a more ideal climate (temps your looking for) try looking in the South County (AG/Nipomo) for houses with acreage. Great year round.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
You haven't really asked some key questions like a) do you/will you need a job? b) do you have kids?

Honestly, I do the drive everyday to the north county down to San Luis. It gets tiring. I work in the North County and there are defiantly great deals to be had for Tempelton/Atascadero within that price range. You can pretty much get one hell of a house for under 450K on the westside of Atown (desirable area). Paso just seems to far away from San Luis for costco. Round trip you are looking at 65 miles plus when compared to Atascadero or Tempelton, however the north county can roast during the summer (upwards of 100 degrees, typical highs in the low 90's) and can get downright chilly in the winter. For a more ideal climate (temps your looking for) try looking in the South County (AG/Nipomo) for houses with acreage. Great year round.
Thanks, I'll look into those areas. As for your questions: a) don't need jobs; b) no kids.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,734,039 times
AVOID GOING INLAND! It's hot and boring in North County. Pismo Beach Promenade, Village at Arroyo Grande, Downtown San Luis Obispo, and Avila Beach are places you should visiit.

If you are talking about moving then Templeton in North County. Pismo Beach, Grover Beach (the good parts), or Arroyo Grande in South County. Or San Luis Obispo.

Pismo Beach and Grover Beach are my personal favorities. SLO is a college town, but I like the touristy beach towns.

Paso Robles is like 40 minutes to Costco, 30 for Templeton, and 20 in Atascadero. Wineries and the zoo in Atascadero are the only places to see in North County.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,144,020 times
Just got back.. I suggest checking out both sides. The towns you mention inland, get warmer in the day, worth checking out, especially if you want some land.. Coastal, can be cool. What is your fog tolerance..?

My family, we prefer the coastal side. Willing to sacrifice, with less, to be in that climate/vibe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
I would appreciate some feedback on areas to explore when we visit San Luis Obispo. We are looking for an area with great climate (70's-80's during day would be ideal) and nice scenery. We are looking to buy a home on some acreage so we can have a garden. We do not want to be in a subdivision, gated community, or any place that offers "ammenities".

I have seen some nice homes in our price range (600-700K) in Paso Robles, Atascadero and Templeton. Any thoughts on those areas? I like their proximity to SLO for Costco, etc. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
AVOID GOING INLAND! It's hot and boring in North County. Pismo Beach Promenade, Village at Arroyo Grande, Downtown San Luis Obispo, and Avila Beach are places you should visiit.

If you are talking about moving then Templeton in North County. Pismo Beach, Grover Beach (the good parts), or Arroyo Grande in South County. Or San Luis Obispo.

Pismo Beach and Grover Beach are my personal favorities. SLO is a college town, but I like the touristy beach towns.

Paso Robles is like 40 minutes to Costco, 30 for Templeton, and 20 in Atascadero. Wineries and the zoo in Atascadero are the only places to see in North County.
Boring is fine with me and 40 minutes to Costco is not bad since we would only go a couple of times a month. We don't need nightlife or constant entertainment. We are looking for a quieter life and our favorite thing to do is to enjoy nature. We are looking to make a change from city living to country. We are ready for that, and with no jobs necessary, we are looking for acreage where we can have a great garden and maybe some chickens or goats. The heat probably won't affect us much since we live in Austin, TX, although we would rather not have 100's for months on end.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Just got back.. I suggest checking out both sides. The towns you mention inland, get warmer in the day, worth checking out, especially if you want some land.. Coastal, can be cool. What is your fog tolerance..?

My family, we prefer the coastal side. Willing to sacrifice, with less, to be in that climate/vibe....
I don't think my fog tolerance would be very high, which is one reason I am considering inland. We also want acreage for sure and that's easier inland. We love visiting the beach but don't need to see it all the time. Been there, done that (in Florida).

As I replied above, we don't want 100's day after day, but we are pretty tolerant to heat. Having temperatures cool down at night would be a real treat! I have been tracking weather temps on a lot of the cities both north and south, and I honestly think 60's for highs in the summer is downright cold. Not sure I would want that, which is why I'm concentrating on north county.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,167,795 times
I haven't seen much in that general area, but Paso Robles is pretty nice.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-22-2012 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California