Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Did I say I was offended? I simply hate it, much like I hate broccoli. I can't remember the last time I heard "Have a nice day!" said in anything but a robotic, meaningless fashion. It's also used by passive-aggressive types with venom dripping off the words.

Like I said before, I'm more the "F off and die" type. Now THAT will ensure I have a nice day.
Oh Geez! Here we go again broccoli-bashing! Speaking of rude and insensitive!
I hope you choke on your steak ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
I don't eat steak!!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Ok ... Mickey D's Fishwich then ...

Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
Hey 'Tucky .............

F*** off and die!!!!!

(Now I KNOW your day is gonna rock!!!)

Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus
I have to agree with you there. Although if all the city dwellers moved to the country.....
Then we would move the country further out (and have done on the east coast).

As to the OP, I visit in Placer County. People wave there as much as rural VA. Now dealing with the city drivers is a different thread.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,150,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HMMM ... I've never really thought of anywhere in California as particularly friendly, even rural areas. Next time I'm out there I will have to try it. Here in Georgia or course, the friendly wave is almost universal and even expected. Indeed, if you ignore a stranger's wave it's considered rude. Letting someone merge into traffic or cross a street is absolutely ingrained from the time one learns how o drive, as are the phrases "Hello, how are you" "Have a nice day!" and "Please" and "Thank you!" spoken to supermarket checkout clerks. It's especially ordinary here in Savannah, which is a big tourist city noted for its friendliness, to strike up conversations with complete strangers on the street, in bars or restaurants, or simply strolling through a park. Even young children who can barely talk yet know to give a wave to grown ups as they pass by, which is just really cute. Of course, people from the Northeast always express discomfort in all this -- suspicion even -- which I've always considered very sad and strange. Showing kindless, friendliness and common courtesy to complete strangers is a huge part of being human.

What you are saying here is so true...I live in Hinesville for a couple of years and spent most of my off time in Savanah...loved it there. Being born and spending much of my youth in Lynchburg, VA....common courtesy has always been first nature with me. I have had a very difficult time adjusting to Ca....even though I live 15 miles outside of a small town in the Sierra Mtns....people are just not very friendly.....at least not the way I was taugt to be. Fortunately my husband and I are retired now and are actively figuring out where we want to relocate to.....I will say though....both of us have been able to make a good living here....at least till the economy took a major nose dive...

Old 07-02-2012, 06:29 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
I am not joking....and definately not a troll. See it on a daily basis in the foothills of the sierra nevada's. Have you tried it?
Maybe you look like a serial killer or something?

Most of the people seem pretty friendly to me and most do indeed wave.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,879,875 times
Do folks wave in Arvin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California