Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,582,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
You mean these guys :
China:
China’s growing army of unemployed graduates
BBC News - Can China's economy absorb six million graduates?
China's Surprising Unemployment Problem - Forbes.com
Chinese unemployment: Where will all the students go? | The Economist

India:
IITs are no longer quality institutions: Narayana Murthy - Times Of India
Poor quality of students entering IITs: Narayana Murthy - The Times of India
IIT Quality Degrades

Quantity vs. Quality .. I have worked w/ many myself and have remotely managed quite a few engineers who reside in Bangalore .. My personal experience is that the quality is night iand day. Sure they work very hard and are go-getters but they generally lack the polish that many graduates from American institutions have. Culturally its night and day.. Many of them are yes 'men' and fall into cultural mediocracy and group think when you cluster them too tight... Which is why many of the old guard tech companies who don't have diversity of minds are falling behind the innovation and business growth curve.

Operations under them in many areas lacks innovations in processes .. They tend to do what they are told in the way it was done previously and not think outside the box.

^ This is all my experience.. Results may vary. I have friends who are on H1b-visas. I've actually got some of them better jobs then the crap ones they had at old guard tech companies in the valley (the ones that primarily abuse/abused h1b-visas). I went to school with a good number of international students. The quality of overseas educational institutions still is nowhere near that of American standards. They can graduate 1,000 engineers to 1 and they wont dominate until they pick up the quality of their institutions.

Plagiarism Plague Hinders China's Scientific Ambition : NPR
'Publish or perish' leads to fraud and paper bubbles in research - China.org.cn
"FEEL THE WIDTH, NOT THE QUALITY

But just as Chen says, it's not all about the money. Chinese scientists are offered lucrative incentives to publish - equivalent to several years' salary for a paper that reaches a top international academic journal - which Chinese scientists in the West argue have skewed the research effort towards quantity rather than quality, leading to a series of damaging scandals involving plagiarism and the falsification of data.

I think the ratio of papers that get published in top ranking international journals (America vs. china) is something like 1:0.02 ... They graduate tons more people in STEM but again .. quality/quantity.

It's simple, there are millions of them unemployed over in China/India. Let them stay there and let their country figure out how to employ them and lets focus on getting the tens-hundreds of thousands of capable American graduates to work...

That being said, I'm really proud to be a part of this generation... Given the abuses by companies and them not giving American graduates a chance, many recent grads are creating their own jobs/businesses and disrupting the very clowns who wouldn't give them a chance. No one's scared of global competition. Just let them stay over in their country and compete from there if they're so great. The data shows they aren't. So they can graduate however many they want.. the vast majority (into the millions are unemployed).

P.S - The party seems to be wrapping up over seas :
As China's growth slows, the world worries - Economy Watch
Don't look to China to save the economy this time
Analysis: China's rapid-fire economy is slowing down, at a bad time: Europe is in recession and the U.S. recovery is stalling.

Power in numbers...
I don't even want to get into the potential social unrest china could face if it doesn't maintain a large economic growth rate.
Let their problems stay over there and let them sort out how to employ them.
No doubt on the quality vs quantity, but the influx of students to the US is not changing, many I have worked with got their undergrad in India or China, then got their graduate degrees in the US, some were real slackers even a few PhD holders. One guy would sit at his desk and sleep and talk in Chinese to his family back east on Skype in the middle of the afternoon with no care in the world. I never was impressed with many to be honest, problem is they are willing to work for less and even down here and elsewhere this fact along with the attitude of some hiring managers that the degree alone seals the deal, lands many jobs.

Conflicting reports on China's economy, gas prices are rising again.

Oil prices rise for third day as traders focus on supply issues, gas prices up to $3.39/gal - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,491,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
No doubt on the quality vs quantity, but the influx of students to the US is not changing, many I have worked with got their undergrad in India or China, then got their graduate degrees in the US, some were real slackers even a few PhD holders. One guy would sit at his desk and sleep and talk in Chinese to his family back east on Skype in the middle of the afternoon with no care in the world. I never was impressed with many to be honest, problem is they are willing to work for less and even down here and elsewhere this fact along with the attitude of some hiring managers that the degree alone seals the deal, lands many jobs.
100% agree w/ you. And as I honestly reflect, some of them are quite brilliant.

Suffice to say, w/ all that I have said, H1b visa quotas have been increased by congress due to lobbyist and they are exhausted yearly.
It's not impacting me but I can't help but note that it screws over a lot of American workers esp. from what I see in the valley. There are whistle blowers here and there but no one has really blown the lid off the cover on the common practices here. Probably wont ever happen.

IMO, when times get hard enough, you'll start to see back pressure on this practice. Things aren't tough enough for the majority of people to care. They will when things get worse. Further, many such companies are in decline due to this very practice so it's not too bad for American workers... One giant dies, many smaller more agile American companies take its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Oil by the barrel wont be below $100/barrel for much longer. $75/barrel is the absolute floor and thus I accumulated on the recent dip. Global demand+markets+every country printing money is causing the majority of commodities to increase in value. I am positioned on several : (Traditional oil via : BP/RIO/TOT/PBR) .. I also have been dabbling in FSLR/SZYM on the lows. Corn recently got a bid due to the messed up weather scorching the crops... There are many things happening in the world.. Markets are complicated and aren't the best instrument for assessing economic conditions.

I'll throw another gem out there as I did my Euro prediction.. China will soon be facing major head winds and social issues due to its growth rate slightly slowing (all it takes is the growth rate of 7% or so to reduce to 6% for things to get ugly).. Further, as we are already seeing, various forms of trade wars/protectionism will begin breaking out as the slowdown finally stretches across the globe and individual countries run out of 'creative' ways to address their economic plight.

The chinese are funny bunch sometimes...
http://blogs.reuters.com/photographe...made-in-china/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uses-sold.html

The Alpine village of the Far East: Chinese build bizarre replica of Austrian town (only problem is, no-one wants to live there)
Real :

Fake :

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 07-13-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 PM

774 posts, read 1,850,224 times
Default Amazing...

Interesting.
I didn't even bother reading the posts in the middle ... might get around to it for "fun" one of these days, but this entire thread shows why it's so difficult to find a "Native Californian" in California any more. The state has been overrun by *******s.

I am born and bred California ... and I had to leave.
It's insane out there now.
Every Yahoo, yaBob, and KnowIt-All on the planet seems to have a cousin who has moved or is moving to California. You folks can have what's left of a once great State.
(People with the lowest I.Q.'s and highest scoring mental dysfunctions will be the first to say, "Bye!")

We never had a chauvinist, "We're better than YOU" attitude. Our parents and grandparents moved here from somewhere else so the gates were open in terms of attitude towards others.

But people who've stormed the gates of heaven since the 70s came with "pirate" mind-sets.
I've seen many begin to chill over time ... but there was still this looney smugness around feeling as if they'd somehow taken someone's jobs, or successfully displaced them. (Pawns for corporate elite?)

The biggest issue around the newly arrived ... esp. "The Illegals" ... is not that they are "hard working" .. but it's that still ... AFTER 30 YEARS ... they still aren't interested in being friends. Instead this immature, "our group is better than your group" keeps people being played off against each other.

Add Gen X coming of age, and the issue that so many people are walking around with some degree of trauma .... mix in over-crowdedness, and you have a "hot mess" from Northern to Southern California.

[NOTE: Untreated trauma... over time... turns into Personality Disorders.
I believe a lot of what we call racism, sexism, Homophobia (and "reverse-Homophobia) are really behaviors resulting out of Personality Disorders... Antisocial PDO, Narcissism, Borderline... etc...]

Can you even TALK to people about this?
Not the know-it-all "Haters" who only want to pull down instead of "join-with."

Yep ... y'all can have rotting flesh still clinging to the picked over bones that once was California.

Oh ... and I'll be thinking of you when the next forecasted, "Perfect Economic Storm" crashes. By all reports, this next one will be worse than the '08 crash ... and I can't think of a better bunch of folks to see experience it.

Chow!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,491,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Interesting.
I didn't even bother reading the posts in the middle ... might get around to it for "fun" one of these days, but this entire thread shows why it's so difficult to find a "Native Californian" in California any more. The state has been overrun by *******s.

I am born and bred California ... and I had to leave.
It's insane out there now.
Every Yahoo, yaBob, and KnowIt-All on the planet seems to have a cousin who has moved or is moving to California. You folks can have what's left of a once great State.
(People with the lowest I.Q.'s and highest scoring mental dysfunctions will be the first to say, "Bye!")

We never had a chauvinist, "We're better than YOU" attitude. Our parents and grandparents moved here from somewhere else so the gates were open in terms of attitude towards others.

But people who've stormed the gates of heaven since the 70s came with "pirate" mind-sets.
I've seen many begin to chill over time ... but there was still this looney smugness around feeling as if they'd somehow taken someone's jobs, or successfully displaced them. (Pawns for corporate elite?)

The biggest issue around the newly arrived ... esp. "The Illegals" ... is not that they are "hard working" .. but it's that still ... AFTER 30 YEARS ... they still aren't interested in being friends. Instead this immature, "our group is better than your group" keeps people being played off against each other.

Add Gen X coming of age, and the issue that so many people are walking around with some degree of trauma .... mix in over-crowdedness, and you have a "hot mess" from Northern to Southern California.

[NOTE: Untreated trauma... over time... turns into Personality Disorders.
I believe a lot of what we call racism, sexism, Homophobia (and "reverse-Homophobia) are really behaviors resulting out of Personality Disorders... Antisocial PDO, Narcissism, Borderline... etc...]

Can you even TALK to people about this?
Not the know-it-all "Haters" who only want to pull down instead of "join-with."

Yep ... y'all can have rotting flesh still clinging to the picked over bones that once was California.

Oh ... and I'll be thinking of you when the next forecasted, "Perfect Economic Storm" crashes. By all reports, this next one will be worse than the '08 crash ... and I can't think of a better bunch of folks to see experience it.

Chow!
Berkely .. I love that place.. So many free minds full of love.

"Wake up Mr.Flowers"

Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM

774 posts, read 1,850,224 times
Default used to be ..

you're soooo late!
Researched my name, eh?
((LOL))

What's the video about?
Is that you or ... um ... someone you admire?
Gen X done passed the baton off to Gen Y... !!

Berkeley was working on the love thing in the early-mid 60s. Evolution, reactionary politics from the City and CAL ... coming down from Co-Intel Pro at one direction ... and the Social Engineers dumbing down the schools, blowing smoke up da Hippty-Hop/Gansta Gen from the other direction.
All stuck on stupid now.
Super-Glue STOOPID.

Your post? Your very well thought out reply to my post?
Well, you may be from Concord, or you may be from Fruitvale ... or just Dawgpatch. Don't really matter, eh?
... and no my friend ... I do not want to buy your Hip Hop CD.

Fact is, no one can ask, beg, discuss, nor tell the likes of you a damn thing.
Damn ... I'm soo glad to be gone ...

Last edited by veganwriter; 07-13-2012 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: duh

Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM

10 posts, read 38,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1056 View Post
Ok, moved here a few years ago. I absolutely loved it. Its beautiful, don't get me wrong. But I can't stand it anymore, here is why.

-They tax you on everything
-EVERYTHING is overpriced.
-Its overcrowded
-The people here are ignorant and rude, not all, but most of them
-San francisco sucks, their are only a few ways to get into the city.. Marin county, bay bridge, or driving up the peninsula. And theirs always traffic.
-Its SUNNY all the time. I like sunny days, but It does get quite annoying when it doesn't rain at all. And when it rains everyone goes crazy like "holy ****, its rain, where gonna die!"
-Natural Gas Lines. If their is a major earthquake, older communities could explode. PG&E is Genius.
-Illegal Immigrants everywhere.

Seriously, I would rather be in death valley then be in SF. Its ****. If the US goes down, california is going down first. Back to the East Coast.
I moved to the south east 6 months ago from California and do not regret it one bit. California is economically doomed and socially screwed up. Living in the deep south in a small town of 27k is great ! The citizens here are very respectful to each other and NO GANGS !! I was able to pay cash for my home on 2 acres. Its a whole new world outside of California.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.B.J. View Post
I moved to the south east 6 months ago from California and do not regret it one bit. California is economically doomed and socially screwed up. Living in the deep south in a small town of 27k is great ! The citizens here are very respectful to each other and NO GANGS !! I was able to pay cash for my home on 2 acres. Its a whole new world outside of California.
Speaking on behalf of all Californians:
Congratulations, and thank you for leaving!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,020,018 times
Quote:
I'm willing to bet when you lived in CA you weren't in an equally tiny town of 27k. If you were, I'd be very surprised if it had gangs, so it doesn't seem to me that you're comparing apples to apples, but that's besides the point.

I once lived in a similar sized town for a few years. While it has advantages over the city / suburbs, it also has major disadvantages. It's just a matter of what your biggest needs are at the time as to which is best for you.

I am glad that you found your happy place, but am weary of anyone that is still in the honeymoon period of any new experience. Please return to this thread in a few years and tell us if you still feel the same way. I truly hope you do, because at the end of the day, it's the number of happy days in our life that matter most. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,777,101 times
Quote:
California is economically doomed
No it isn't. They said the same thing about the U.S. after the little incident in late 1929.

Quote:
California is... socially screwed up. Living in the deep south in a small town of 27k is great !
Translation: California isn't Christian enough for me. I feel more comfortable in the Bible Belt.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,582,747 times
Quote:
I live/lived in the Southeast and in the Deep South, although I'm not in the Bible Belt or Deep South currently I have lived in that part of the world, plenty of poverty and crime outside and inside the larger metro areas, ie Atlanta, New Orleans, Birmingham and so on. The lack of culture is often disturbing in some parts, food selection is often minimal unless your right in the metro and in some instances it's not much, civil war is not over mentality and the poverty is well depressing and the prosperity of jobs for educated folks is minimal, aside from the factories making Hyundais, Hondas and KIAs etc. No real high tech sectors outside of Huntsville or RTP which does not even fall into the "Deep South" region. Georgia's 6% income tax is steep for the median salaries.

I'm sure it is indeed "a whole new world outside of California" in more ways than one, probably never seen a Rebel flag before huh get use to seeing them all the time or Piggly Wiggly and Kudzu, glad you found yourself. I'm sure you could have found 2 acres in someone in CA too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California