U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM

3,522 posts, read 5,585,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I had a feeling you lived in Santa Maria and AG growing up, but I guess just AG.

AG is not my place. It's not suburban enough. South County has the highest amounts of density in the county, but the problem why there isn't more retail development is Pismo doesn't have land for more retail (unless some land is re-zoned) and AG just recently put more restrictions on residential and retail development. I have my suspicions that Grover Beach is close to bankruptcy and it could consolidate with Arroyo Grande in a decade or two. No businesses will go into Grover and instead they have gone to SLO, AG, or Pismo. However, some guy wanted to redevelop the Oceano airport, and that project would have included a medium sized outdoor plaza mall. I'd like to know if South County has the market for a plaza mall or if that developer was just hopeful.

If only South County had this:

http://www.carmelplaza.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I had a feeling you lived in Santa Maria and AG growing up, but I guess just AG.

AG is not my place. It's not suburban enough. South County has the highest amounts of density in the county, but the problem why there isn't more retail development is Pismo doesn't have land for more retail (unless some land is re-zoned) and AG just recently put more restrictions on residential and retail development. I have my suspicions that Grover Beach is close to bankruptcy and it could consolidate with Arroyo Grande in a decade or two. No businesses will go into Grover and instead they have gone to SLO, AG, or Pismo. However, some guy wanted to redevelop the Oceano airport, and that project would have included a medium sized outdoor plaza mall. I'd like to know if South County has the market for a plaza mall or if that developer was just hopeful.

Carmel Plaza
Ew. There are already more stores than we need, which is probably why there are so many empty storefronts.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 AM

1,489 posts, read 782,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ew. There are already more stores than we need, which is probably why there are so many empty storefronts.

Common sense thinking!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 AM

1,489 posts, read 782,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

Carmel Plaza
City,
Sorry, your going to get a lecture... We must cure you of your illness....
Have you considered this expand or die attitude, is like lemming or locust behavior??.... Can you not see that we have enough "shopping" places to be sure everyone as the latest and greatest trendy piece of garbage with their limited hard earned dollars..

America is in debt! California is in debt! We the people are in debt! Why? Living beyond our means, spending more than we should... Yes spending is shopping.. It is a disease, and addiction an illness people suffer from. An attempt to fill a void, something missing in their lives.

People with boring sheltered suburban lives need to get out and live, learn to appreciate the subtle things in life that are free...

Enough shopping and spending already...

The places left are precious few that have not been consumed by the shopping attitude... SLO county is one of them... Since it appears you are unable to appreciate simple unadorned beauty of a place, why not move to LA or something where the shopping is good?...

Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 AM

6,390 posts, read 2,853,468 times
"the city" is stuck on shopping and malls. I would love to put him on the analyst couch and figure out why. Even in a society built around malls and shopping his preoccupation with shopping stands out. Very Curious.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 AM

156 posts, read 485,056 times
It is truly a case for a therapist. There has to be one of this site!! Why a young man, even during his teenage years, would be so literally and figuratively obsessed with shopping malls. He needs to be on the A&E Channel, "My Strange Addiction". He'd fit right in with the man who loved his car. But, that's a whole different topic!!
Last night, I'm watching my nephew play flag football at a field about six miles out towards Lopez Lake. Behind the field are rolling mountains in such a beautiful amber gold that it took my breath away. Beautiful blue sky with the golden tail hawks flying above. I had to say a prayer of thanks for being able to live in such a glorious, inspirational area.
The City won't find that on a bench in the Santa Maria Mall.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
It is truly a case for a therapist. There has to be one of this site!! Why a young man, even during his teenage years, would be so literally and figuratively obsessed with shopping malls. He needs to be on the A&E Channel, "My Strange Addiction". He'd fit right in with the man who loved his car. But, that's a whole different topic!!
Last night, I'm watching my nephew play flag football at a field about six miles out towards Lopez Lake. Behind the field are rolling mountains in such a beautiful amber gold that it took my breath away. Beautiful blue sky with the golden tail hawks flying above. I had to say a prayer of thanks for being able to live in such a glorious, inspirational area.
The City won't find that on a bench in the Santa Maria Mall.
Did you notice the "giant's footstep" high on the hill to the east? Your sentiments are perfect, Those fields are in an idyllic setting.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Might I remind you all that the Dalidio Ranch project (including 530,000 sq. ft. shopping center/lifestyle center) was passed by over 61% of voters.

I heard though if Jan Marx is off the council, then Dalidio might negotiate his project into the city with a new mayor.

I see beauty in the scenic hills as well, but I still need places to buy stuff.

I think AG has good shopping, but no where to get clothes. There is Wal-Mart, Trader Joe's, and even a Regal Cinemas.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Buying a pair of pants (which can be done in Arroyo Grande at Walmart and Farm Supply) and being totally obsessed with malls and national chainstores are two completely different things.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Buying a pair of pants (which can be done in Arroyo Grande at Walmart and Farm Supply) and being totally obsessed with malls and national chainstores are two completely different things.
If you want to look a poor person, then you can shop at Wal-Mart. If you want to look like a hick, then you can shop at Farm Supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California