U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 AM
 
16 posts, read 29,756 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

We have visited San Luis Obispo for many years. We love it. We are thinking of moving there. We have a young daughter who will be starting school in a couple years.
I know the job market in SLO is tight, and homes prices are on the high side --- we've already taken that into account.
Other then the tough job market and high home prices, are there any other negatives re living in SLO? And how are the public schools? (We would most likely live in one of the older areas adjacent to downtown.)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 AM
 
338 posts, read 345,188 times
Reputation: 244
Other negatives would include the distance to a large airport. You would most likely have to drive down to LAX or up to San Jose to fly somewhere. Also, to live there you might need to be more creative about finding entertainment. This is due to the small size and population of the Central Coast as you know. Don't know anything about the schools.

Really pretty area though. Always love driving on 101 down there. Even scenic at night! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Status: "get me out of california!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
3,854 posts, read 6,262,005 times
Reputation: 840
There is entertainment here.

Yup, no major airport or sports stadium or theme parks around.

The high school in SLO ranks pretty well and has had CA distinguished school status before. There is also a private catholic school.

The city is pretty self-contained. Costco, Home Depot, Sear's, Kohl's, Target, and Macy's (coming soon).

Downtown SLO has an arts scene and coffee scene and some shopping and dining options too.

Other than downtown we have 3 big box centers and a lifestyle shopping center.

We have a college, 2 hospitals, 2 movie theaters, bowling alley, and lots of hiking trails.

There is that cosmopolitan feel here with different ethnic restaurants, religious groups, ethnicities, ethnic markets, etc...

Last edited by the city; 07-11-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
7,784 posts, read 4,422,221 times
Reputation: 6365
It's a nice place. About the only thing potentially wrong with it is the big nuclear power plant about 13 miles away. But every place has something, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
 
168 posts, read 244,051 times
Reputation: 115
As mentioned, not living near a large airport is a pretty big negative. I hate driving to LAX to fly out for vacations. The 2nd is the lack of high end shopping such as create and barrel, west elm, peek aren't you curious, or even an IKEA which would necessitate a drive to either EPA or Burbank, pick your poison and which direction of the state you like the best (if you got what EPA means, than obviously you know where i come from and which one i go to hehe). Always end up going to Santa Barbara for shopping, but the internet can solve most of those problems (i don't buy clothes on the net, wife does, especially from anthropology as well as furniture).

As for public schools, they are pretty good. We send our daughter to the local public elementary school (supposedly the worst public elementary school in the district, because the "poor" kids go there, or so every Realtor told us) but in reality it is the most diverse elementary school in the district with a wide range of kids from the economic spectrum since it is the school located in Downtown, which is where we live. Honestly the teachers are great at pretty much all of SLCUSD schools, and yes, the scores are the lowest, but factor out all the ELS students and the range shoots up comparable to the other schools. The district has a wonderful after school program, but unfortunately the PTA my daughter's school is terrible due to the lack of involvement of parents when compared to other schools in the City.

Other than that, my kids love San Luis. My wife manages a children's boutique downtown, which is doing gangbuster sales and we are just booming in this economy, and I work in the north county, so I reverse commute, but my job is very political, so i enjoy that

Jobs are hard to come by, which is the real down side to living here. It can be very difficult to fine a job with a living wage.

Good luck.

Last edited by Shawn_Estrada; 07-12-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
 
168 posts, read 244,051 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
There is that cosmopolitan feel here with different ethnic restaurants, religious groups, ethnicities, ethnic markets, etc...
I don't consider San Luis cosmopolitan at all. The town is 84% white, with hispanics/latinos making up the majority of the rest of the population. San Luis is very white washed.

Webster's defines "cosmopolitan" as having a "a worldwide, rather than limited or provincial scope or bearing" i.e. its a mover and shaker such as LA, NYC, Paris, Hong Kong, etc. San Luis is hardly that so let's not kid ourselves. Maybe taking a vacation outside of the California or the States can teach you what really a "big city" is, especially in international terms.

It may be the largest City in the County, but it certainly doesn't reflect any bearing in terms of scope for things in this State, let alone on a national stage. It is just a quaint little coastal town, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Status: "get me out of california!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
3,854 posts, read 6,262,005 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
As mentioned, not living near a large airport is a pretty big negative. I hate driving to LAX to fly out for vacations. The 2nd is the lack of high end shopping such as create and barrel, west elm, peek aren't you curious, or even an IKEA which would necessitate a drive to either EPA or Burbank, pick your poison and which direction of the state you like the best (if you got what EPA means, than obviously you know where i come from and which one i go to hehe). Always end up going to Santa Barbara for shopping, but the internet can solve most of those problems (i don't buy clothes on the net, wife does, especially from anthropology as well as furniture).

As for public schools, they are pretty good. We send our daughter to the local public elementary school (supposedly the worst public elementary school in the district, because the "poor" kids go there, or so every Realtor told us) but in reality it is the most diverse elementary school in the district with a wide range of kids from the economic spectrum since it is the school located in Downtown, which is where we live. Honestly the teachers are great at pretty much all of SLCUSD schools, and yes, the scores are the lowest, but factor out all the ELS students and the range shoots up comparable to the other schools. The district has a wonderful after school program, but unfortunately the PTA my daughter's school is terrible due to the lack of involvement of parents when compared to other schools in the City.

Other than that, my kids love San Luis. My wife manages a children's boutique downtown, which is doing gangbuster sales and we are just booming in this economy, and I work in the north county, so I reverse commute, but my job is very political, so i enjoy that

Jobs are hard to come by, which is the real down side to living here. It can be very difficult to fine a job with a living wage.

Good luck.
For the area's size, there is a good range of clothing stores. Such as:

Chico's, Pottery Barn, White House Black Market, Sephora, Apple, Barnes N Nobles, Sunglass Hut, Solstice Sunglasses, Flip Flop Sandals, Victoria Secrets, Papyrus, Patrick James, Gap, Express, Abercrombie, Banana Republic, Bath and Body Works, and Urban Outfitters (all downtown)

Non-downtown we have Macy's (coming soon), Sear's, Kohl's, Forever 21, Men's Warehouse, and Motherhood Maternity.

Also, on Palm Street they are redeveloping the area and adding 46,000sq. ft more retail for higher end shops.

And also, when Macy's comes to an existing shopping center we might see some new higher end stores replace the old discount shops.

Sure, for SLO's size we won't see a Nordstrom's or Bloomingdale's. But Macy's, 20 higher end speciality stores, and Trader Joes and New Frontier's is great.

Last edited by the city; 07-12-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 PM
 
168 posts, read 244,051 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
For the area's size, there is a good range of clothing stores. Such as:

Chico's, Pottery Barn, White House Black Market, Sephora, Apple, Barnes N Nobles, Sunglass Hut, Solstice Sunglasses, Flip Flop Sandals, Victoria Secrets, Papyrus, Patrick James, Gap, Express, Abercrombie, Banana Republic, Bath and Body Works, and Urban Outfitters (all downtown)

Non-downtown we have Macy's (coming soon), Sear's, Kohl's, Forever 21, Men's Warehouse, and Motherhood Maternity.

Also, on Palm Street they are redeveloping the area and adding 46,000sq. ft more retail for higher end shops.

And also, when Macy's comes to an existing shopping center we might see some new higher end stores replace the old discount shops.

Sure, for SLO's size we won't see a Nordstrom's or Bloomingdale's. But Macy's, 20 higher end speciality stores, and Trader Joes and New Frontier's is great.
Shopping doesn't make a city "comso" but it takes me you look certifiably insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Status: "get me out of california!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
3,854 posts, read 6,262,005 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Shopping doesn't make a city "comso" but it takes me you look certifiably insane
I never said shopping makes a city look cosmo. Look at the ethnic make up for Cal Poly and the county. Poly and the county have a good Asian and Hispanic percentage. Cosmo doesn't always mean ethnicity either. It can mean different religions, cultures, and ideas. I think we have different cultures and religions and age groups in SLO. And that 84% Caucasian doesn't reflect if the people are Italian or Irish or German.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,127 posts, read 14,828,029 times
Reputation: 15761
SLO is great...but it's expensive, jobs are scarce, food is 'eh' and many of the people are very superficial and stuck up.

I'm leaving this winter. Grew up here, but it's very difficult to make a name of yourself or advance in your career because there really aren't any opportunities. It can also be irritating to be a part of the '2 degrees of separation' with people. Nearly every single person I've come across knows one of my friends, it's hard to branch out and make new friends when everyone basically knows each other. Bring on the slight anonymity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top