Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 PM

16 posts, read 66,468 times

Advertisements

Question: Where are the most beautiful, historic, residential neighborhoods in small towns or cities in California?

We are interested in your thoughts re which neighborhoods have the highest concentration of charming, historic homes. (We have visited and really like the historic districts in San Luis Obispo and the western half of Petaluma, as well as Ferndale and Mendocino Township --- but we are interested in finding out about other charming historic towns in California.)

We are historic preservationists and we are interested in your thoughts on the historic architecture and aesthetics of the town, as opposed to the job market, economy, etc...
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jg9999; 07-09-2012 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: text/font problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,301,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg9999 View Post
Question: Where are the most beautiful, historic, residential neighborhoods in small towns or cities in California?

We are interested in your thoughts re which neighborhoods have the highest concentration of charming, historic homes. (We have visited and really like the historic districts in San Luis Obispo and the western half of Petaluma, as well as Ferndale and Mendocino Township --- but we are interested in finding out about other charming historic towns in California.)

We are historic preservationists and we are interested in your thoughts on the historic architecture and aesthetics of the town, as opposed to the job market, economy, etc...
Thanks in advance.
I'll be taking notes for my first trip to CA...thanks for starting this thread.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,103,957 times
Sacramento has a fairly large area of older homes, and as a bonus it has a tree canopy like you see in few places in California. Though a large city, in many ways it has a small town feel in those areas, including locally owned corner grocery stores.

I'd advise you to take Google Map and do the street view around the downtown area, especially to the south and east sides. I'd say that we have about 5 or 6 square miles of nice residential neighborhoods with homes as much as 100+ years old, many in very good condition.

It extends eastward from around 15th St all the way to Elvas Ave/65th St. It also extends southward to Broadway.

In addition, to the south of Broadway the Land Park and Curtis Park areas have beautiful old residential communities too, covering a few more square miles.

As far as small towns, about 50 or so miles to the north east of Sacramento there are two towns, Grass Valley and Nevada City, that are much like Ferndale or Petaluma. About 50 miles to the west of Sacramento, I'd recommend you take a look at Calistoga, Sonoma and Healdsburg.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM

1,949 posts, read 6,433,345 times
there is a historic town called LOCKE

Locke, California

Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
wow, I am trying to think and the one place that really comes to mind is Eureka, They have some magnificant old Victorian hlouses with stained windrows. domes, etc and yet it is a very small town. San Francisco does as well, as does Sacramento but trhey are major cities, not small towns. Some of the other towns, north of San Francisco, like rRoss and that area have a few as well. Of course there are lots in Los Angeles, plus Pasadena and So Pasadena have to be at the top of the list.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,499,574 times
One of my favorites

Bodie State Historic Park, Bodie SHP, Bodie State Park - Bodie.com

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM

297 posts, read 763,687 times
Default here's some

Pacific Grove, Monterey, Healdsburg, Calistoga, Sonoma, Placerville, San Rafael, Solvang, Cambria, old town San Diego - to name a few.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,872,880 times
Check out Santa Barbara.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
there is a historic town called LOCKE

Locke, California
Not much to do there, except go to Al the Wop's. (I got a dollar up there on the cieling--first try!) I think the history is more interesting than the actual visit, but if you're going to the Delta rent a boat to cruise the rivers and you'll have a blast.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,006,487 times
The Niles District in Fremont is a good example of a historic neighborhood that still feels like an old small town. It feels trapped in time and completely separate from the city of Fremont. Its biggest claim to fame is that it was home to Charlie Chaplin's film studio.

Niles1

Niles2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California