U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 AM
 
45 posts, read 95,664 times
Reputation: 21
Default Fresno Question

Due to a work assignment, I will be spending 4-5 months in Fresno later this year. My company has given me the option of furnished apartment unit, or has agreed to provide me a rental allowance if I choose to find my own dwelling.

The apartment property they have selected for me is located in the Northwestern section of Fresno. Specifically, the nearest major intersection is West Shaw and North Marks, fairly close to the Towne Square Shopping Center.

I am generally looking to see if this section of Fresno, compared to the city overall, is decent enough to commit to living at for 4-5 months. Any pros/cons/general feedback would be appreciated. The apartment project looks new and very spacious, so as long as the neighborhood surrounding it is ok, I will probably go ahead and agree to living there.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM
 
20,174 posts, read 12,608,879 times
Reputation: 17185
The Arbor Fair area.

If it were me I would find a place North of Herndon and East of HWY 41. The area around Woodward Park. The Liberty Hill/Fort Washington area being the nicest. Even better find a place in Clovis. I lived in the Liberty Hill neighborhood for 3.5 years in the 1990's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Bryte, CA
1,966 posts, read 2,713,404 times
Reputation: 1311
Shaw and Marks is a good location.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,467 posts, read 1,662,066 times
Reputation: 1492
That area's fine and furnished "corporate" type units are sometimes difficult to find. I don't think you'll better yourself much by trying to rent on your own given the short span of time you'll be there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 3,676,247 times
Reputation: 781
Shaw and Marks is a good area, apartments around there range from just a basic apartment to upscale gated complexes with a lot of amenities. I don't know the actual complex you have been offered so I cannot be specific.

Also be aware that some of the apartment complexes in that Shaw/Marks area back up against the Santa Fe Railroad mainline. That rail line handles about 25 freights and 12 Amtrak trains daily. I know some of the apartments located closest to the line in a few complexes do get that noise. You might make sure the unit does not back against the walls along the railroad.

If you do decide to look elsewhere I'd probably suggest the complexes along Nees between Palm and First. I understand there are also some corporate units further north in the Dominion area but those would be higher priced.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM
 
20,174 posts, read 12,608,879 times
Reputation: 17185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Shaw and Marks is a good area, apartments around there range from just a basic apartment to upscale gated complexes with a lot of amenities. I don't know the actual complex you have been offered so I cannot be specific.

Also be aware that some of the apartment complexes in that Shaw/Marks area back up against the Santa Fe Railroad mainline. That rail line handles about 25 freights and 12 Amtrak trains daily. I know some of the apartments located closest to the line in a few complexes do get that noise. You might make sure the unit does not back against the walls along the railroad.

If you do decide to look elsewhere I'd probably suggest the complexes along Nees between Palm and First. I understand there are also some corporate units further north in the Dominion area but those would be higher priced.
I'd push for the Dominion area if the OP could get it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
 
45 posts, read 95,664 times
Reputation: 21
Thanks to all for the feedback.

The property which I have a corporate unit available is the Phoenix Townhomes, Welcome to Phoenix Townhomes!

Based on my research, it appears that the "higher priced" apartments in Fresno are all located in the Dominion area, which appears to be the northern part of the city.

Is the Dominion area considered to be the nicest part of Fresno? Just curious, as someone who doesn't know the city well, why Dominion would be more expensive/nicer to live in vs the Shaw/Marks area. I was told by one person that Shaw/Marks is central to alot of the good retail/dining options in Fresno, and is relatively safe (i.e. you can walk around at night without feeling worried, etc).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
 
20,174 posts, read 12,608,879 times
Reputation: 17185
Quote:
Originally Posted by egold70 View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback.

The property which I have a corporate unit available is the Phoenix Townhomes, Welcome to Phoenix Townhomes!

Based on my research, it appears that the "higher priced" apartments in Fresno are all located in the Dominion area, which appears to be the northern part of the city.

Is the Dominion area considered to be the nicest part of Fresno? Just curious, as someone who doesn't know the city well, why Dominion would be more expensive/nicer to live in vs the Shaw/Marks area. I was told by one person that Shaw/Marks is central to alot of the good retail/dining options in Fresno, and is relatively safe (i.e. you can walk around at night without feeling worried, etc).

FresnoFacts is the authoritative sage on Fresno. However, yes NorthEast Fresno is the nicest part IMHO. Then you move into Clovis.

If I had to move back to Fresno I'd try to find something around the Woodward Park Area as well next to the Cooper River and Fort Washington Country Clubs. Again if you look at a map all the areas I have given you are NorthWest Fresno.

As bell the best shopping by FAR in Fresno is the River Park area next to HWY 41. Fig Garden Village would be second on the list for shopping a experience.

The Downtown Tower District area has its charms as well for shopping and dining but you really need to know where your going.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 3,676,247 times
Reputation: 781
I don't know anything about Phoenix Townhouses specifically. But it is across Valentine Avenue from Heron Point Apartments which is a nice upscale community that I am familiar with. Phoenix is probably similiar based on what I see on their website and a Google Streetview peak. I just looked at a database and neighborhood crime is still low. There are restaurants, shopping like Target, a movie theater, and banks located 1/2 mile south along Shaw.

Based on my own experiences/preferences with corporate housing on temporary assignments in other cities I like being near most of the things I would need to use to avoid driving around a new city. That area would pretty much meet that.

The other area you might look at as I mentioned before would be the apartments around RiverPark. I know professionals who rent in some and UCSF puts its medical students on rotation in Fresno in one of the complexes too. Almost all those apartments are along Nees Avenue or the side streets between Palm and First. RiverPark is a large retail, restaurant and service area, as Bulldogdad mentioned one of the main shopping complexes in the area. Many more choices and variety of retail/food/services around RiverPark depending upon what you like when on temporary assignment. Also closer to outdoor areas such as Woodward Park and the San Joaquin River Parkway. RiverPark area apartments (don't know which do corporate housing) include Windscape, The Springs, Riverview Garden, Park Ridge, Lakeside, along with others.

I don't think I would look for temporary corporate housing out toward Copper River or Ft Washington. Very little in services has developed out there yet. A few more services in The Dominion but not many apartments which along with the area raises the rental rates so I probably would not look there. No real benefit to be that far north in any of those areas if it is only a 4-5 month period unless the job assignment is out that way. (you haven't indicated which area the assignment is in)

Nearly all of North Fresno (northeast or northwest) is middle class to very upscale. Bulldogdad is possibly forgetting upscale areas in Northwest Fresno like Van Ness Extension, Lake Van Ness, the San Joaquin Country Club area, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
 
20,174 posts, read 12,608,879 times
Reputation: 17185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I don't know anything about Phoenix Townhouses specifically. But it is across Valentine Avenue from Heron Point Apartments which is a nice upscale community that I am familiar with. Phoenix is probably similiar based on what I see on their website and a Google Streetview peak. I just looked at a database and neighborhood crime is still low. There are restaurants, shopping like Target, a movie theater, and banks located 1/2 mile south along Shaw.

Based on my own experiences/preferences with corporate housing on temporary assignments in other cities I like being near most of the things I would need to use to avoid driving around a new city. That area would pretty much meet that.

The other area you might look at as I mentioned before would be the apartments around RiverPark. I know professionals who rent in some and UCSF puts its medical students on rotation in Fresno in one of the complexes too. Almost all those apartments are along Nees Avenue or the side streets between Palm and First. RiverPark is a large retail, restaurant and service area, as Bulldogdad mentioned one of the main shopping complexes in the area. Many more choices and variety of retail/food/services around RiverPark depending upon what you like when on temporary assignment. Also closer to outdoor areas such as Woodward Park and the San Joaquin River Parkway. RiverPark area apartments (don't know which do corporate housing) include Windscape, The Springs, Riverview Garden, Park Ridge, Lakeside, along with others.

I don't think I would look for temporary corporate housing out toward Copper River or Ft Washington. Very little in services has developed out there yet. A few more services in The Dominion but not many apartments which along with the area raises the rental rates so I probably would not look there. No real benefit to be that far north in any of those areas if it is only a 4-5 month period unless the job assignment is out that way. (you haven't indicated which area the assignment is in)

Nearly all of North Fresno (northeast or northwest) is middle class to very upscale. Bulldogdad is possibly forgetting upscale areas in Northwest Fresno like Van Ness Extension, Lake Van Ness, the San Joaquin Country Club area, etc.
Didnt forget them, just felt they were not pertanent to the OP. I did have a friend that lived in the Sierra Sky Park subdivision for a about 8 years in the 1990's. Several times we flew out of the neighborhood over to Harris Ranch to have dinner in his Cessna.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top