U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 AM

11 posts, read 29,426 times

Advertisements

if you get the chance to visit california for a while take a good visit to seqouia national park its got to be the most prestine place here in my eyes i love it and try to go out there whenever i get the chance. its probably got to be the only place that will keep me here in california other then the obvious friends and family. also if your visiting southern california try to take some time to drive through some of the canyons around here. its a pretty good place to live just expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 137,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americancowgirl143
if you get the chance to visit california for a while take a good visit to seqouia national park its got to be the most prestine place here in my eyes i love it and try to go out there whenever i get the chance. its probably got to be the only place that will keep me here in california other then the obvious friends and family. also if your visiting southern california try to take some time to drive through some of the canyons around here. its a pretty good place to live just expensive
When everything goes well we will be in California for two weeks. Seqouia National Park will surely be on our route.
Is California also so expensive for tourists? Can you give me some tips for cheap but safe places to sleep. All other tips on how to experience the Amarican way of life in such a short time are welcome.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,993 times
Smile Miss Belgium

Its been awhile since someone replied to your posting...not sure if you are still checking this. I live in Sunnyvale, part of Northern California. Not too much here in Sunnyvale but I will tell you about the great places in California.

I love it here, I wouldnt want to live anywhere else. It is quite expensive and we are barely making it. I am married and have 3 children. I saw that there were people warning you about dangerous people. True, but I wouldnt worry about it. There are dangrerous people everywhere! Enjoy and have fun on your trip. Obviously be cautious as you should and use common sense and you will be fine.

I dont know much about Southern California so I cannot comment. Northern California in most places is gorgeous! I am guessing since you will start in Arizona you will come up through S. Cali and head north. Well you MUST SEE San Francisco. The inner city is interesting and a great place to people watch and if you are into shows and stuff, that is where you will find it. But the parts of SF that I love are the Warf, Stinson Beach, Muir Woods, Sausalito, and continuing north. You must do the bay tour on red and white fleet I think, its only $17pp.

But if you head north towards Oregon, you must take highway 1. Absolutley Amazing! Our favorite place is Sea Watch or a little town called Gualala. Its right on the coast. We always stay in the homes there, you can rent a one bedroom with fireplace and view for as low as $99. Just do a search on Sea Ranch Rentals. Mendicino is beautiful too. I havent gotten further than that but I do pray that we will one day! I heard its amazing.

My only advise to you is to check out the coast! There is nothing like the California coast! If you need a place to stay while in the bay area, I wouldnt mind helping you out. Get in contact with me....henandshell1617@yahoo.com.
Not sure if I will ever check this thread again, I dont normally do this..

Old 09-06-2006, 01:46 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,954,896 times
Yosemite is another "must see" attraction! And the Monterey Aquarium is another great sight to see. Also, the Getty Art Museum is a world-class museum and certainly worth the time it takes to see it.

I would plan on spending more than 10 days in California. There is so much to see here, it would be impossible to do in 10 days. There are a lot of states in the United States that there isn't much to see, particularly in the Midwest.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 AM

27 posts, read 116,794 times
Hello! I also have family in Belgie, (Geel). I don't want you to be scared, there is crime, but not everywhere all of the time! California is pretty huge. Northern California, (from Santa Barbara and up to San Franciso are to Carmel is gorgeous!). We vacation up there. We live in Southern California in Orange COunty. They are building A LOT and fast too which is taking away the beauty of the hills. San Diego, more south, is beautiful and prettige!
I know when a tourists asks me a question, I LOVE to help them in any way we can. There are rude Californians too but don't let that get you down. Ask another. I think you will be safe though. Los Angeles is well....not so great. Housing is really expensive, that's why we are moving out of the state. I hope you have a wonderful trip, if you need anymore advice, just let me know! - Oh yes, watch out for people who don't follow the driving rules. When it is a green light for you, ALWAYS check before you continue forward, there are ALWAYS people who think red lights mean go faster instead of stop, I don't want you to get into an accident, so just watch out for the drivers and if you want to take your time, on the freeways, stay in the slow lane. There are a lot of aggressive drivers. Is isn't intentionally trying to scare you but just wanted you to be aware of drivers here. Have fun!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:04 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,954,896 times
Since you mentioned watching American movies and TV, you might also want to stop in Burbank/Studio City and take one of the studio tours. I know Warner Brothers and Universal offer them. You get to see the "behind the scenes" stuff. You can also get free tickets and be part of the studio audience for a lot of shows.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM

318 posts, read 873,567 times
Hi,
Born and raised here in Ca. I don't know how expensive it would be but. There are companies that rent small motor homes for tourist to travel in. We use to live in a resort and would often visit with the tourist. They were from all over the world. Advantage would be campgrounds are much cheaper than hotels and you can stop and rest when you feel like it or cook a cheap meal. I don't know how expensive the RV rental is. Something to check into.

Also as far as crime and being at risk. If you are in a big city wait till you get to the outskirts of the city before deciding to get off the freeway. One there will less one way streets, two traffic will be slower, and three most bad areas after dark are in the big cities close to the center of the cities or business areas. The cities themselves are usually okay during the day when everyone is working. It will be after dark that you would need to be careful in the cities. Not all cities but some major ones are: Sac has some bad areas. San Francisco after dark stay in the tourist areas when out and about and not too late.

LA don't know the area but would stay close to tourist area so as not to wander into a bad area. Usually small towns and tourist areas are pretty safe.

The most beautiful areas are the coast and the Sierras: Tahoe, the coast is beautiful the whole way. Lots of twisting and turning roads. If you get tired of that head inland to I-5 or Hwy 80 north. We took a rv trip once down the state. From Reno to Las Vegas. That was mostly high desert and beautiful in its own way. Very quite. Only small towns on the way. Mining towns, airforce towns.

Of course there is always the vineyards tour both in Napa and the foothills. Before country also. Folks are pretty easy to talk to...but be careful don't get yourself mugged by being too friendly. Most folks will strike up a chat while eating at a cafe or coffee house. Star bucks is real popular here. A chain coffee shop. Folks love to sit and chat and drink coffee.

Catch you later.

Izzy

Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 PM

17,343 posts, read 20,506,887 times
Maybe you should consider buying a recreational vehicle and travel in that for that time you are here. You can sell it at the end of your adventure. The depreciation might well be less than hotels and restaurants, particularly if you get a used one to begin with. There are RV parks everywhere and generally people in RV parks are exceedingly friendly and love to talk with each other. You will meet people from all over the country that way.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:51 AM

979 posts, read 2,650,108 times
California is a Huge and Diverse State,so their is a Great Variety of Things to See and Do.

The California Lifestyle Varies by location,but I love living here and don't want to live anywhere else :-)

I hope you enjoy your trip to The Golden State of California :-)

Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 AM

171 posts, read 560,296 times
Default Welcome to CA

Hi MissBel
I wanted to welcome you to a wonderful state to visit. Like others have said, CA is a very diverse state and offers coastal climates as well as mountain ranges with all four seasons, so it really depends on what you'd like to experience while you are here. Checking into renting an RV may be a great way to travel or buying a small economical car.

My German cousin came to visit with a friend on holiday after graduating University. They bought an old american car to tour in and traveled many weeks through as many states as their money would last them. By the end of their trip they were trying to find a way to get the car back to Germany, since they had fallen in love with it too and wanted to take it home to fix it up. LOL

They had the time of their lives and made many memories and friends, I believe they still write to some. They found that the Californian's were most open to chatting with them even with their broken english and yours is far better. I think since we are more of a diverse culture here (many people from all over move to CA) and therefore can be much more accepting to tourists and language barriers. And you will find many locals to chat with at tourists spots too, because we like to visit those spots as well, we just call them daily activities. However, some may try to push you down the freeways since we are always in a hurry to avoid traffic, so I applogize in advance for rude driving. LOL

I hope you have a wonderful time visiting. We can not wait to read your posts of your trip once you get home.
Regards,
Kaligirl of North County San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California