U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,075,094 times

Advertisements

Arcata is Berkeley North due to the Humboldt State college there. A big percentage of Arcata is populated by college students from all over. Only a very small city of about 17,000 people including students, surrounded by the real people of Humboldt County. Arcata is the only extreme liberal town in the area, and the first city council anywhere take over by the green party, and their wild laws there would not be seen anywhere else in the country.

A large but unmeasurable cannabis economy employs many in Arcata, part of the emerald triangle that grows most of the pot in the U.S.

Arcata is very low on the income tables, barely more than half of national average.

Foggy cold summers, and over 40 inches of rain per year the rest of the year.

As you can see, I do know Arcata very well, born and raised within 30 miles of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 PM

8,567 posts, read 3,857,541 times
OK, so let's amend your statement that the entire north coast is conservative.

I'd add Marin and Sonoma, and much of Mendocino, to the "liberal" group too.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 5,696 times
to wood & creek: redding is the last place i'd take my family, especially kids. the meth problem is out of control and the cops can't or won't do anything about it. made our escape after 12 years of notable decline in law enforcement & increase in lawlessness. your experience with panhandlers is a daily topic of conversation, as is your observation of scary/freaky people. don't expect it to get better, it's getting worse! conservative, evangelical, gun toters would be your only hope of help or protection if violently accosted in any parking lot in town(as i was at home depot by a crazed tweaker). in fact the best schools for your children would be private christian church based schools. good thing you went there to experience it for yourself, it is everything you imagine as your worst nightmare & getting worse. my wife never went anywhere without a loaded revolver in her possession. you'd be better off quitting & looking for a new job than take a transfer to redding,ca!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM

875 posts, read 481,535 times
I have friends from Redding, and I've visited them a couple times. It's a pretty conservative town, especially when you consider that there's not much in the way of cultural diversity or economic/educational opportunities. Those are recipes for trouble.

Overall, not what I would consider a great area, but you could do worse I suppose.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 AM

68 posts, read 52,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood & Creek View Post
Yikes! That is one of the main reasons that I am thinking of living outside of the city and commuting in every day. It seems that living in that city may be too big of a risk with a 10 year old daughter :confused:
First off, I want to say that as one who is sooo glad to have escaped redding - I lol'd at your observations upon actually checking it out ;) Pretty much everything you observed is common place. A lot of it you get used to though I think, honestly - it's still a pain, but you don't notice as much. Whether you consider that good or bad is your call. For instance, the panhandling tweaker infestation. I knew it was bad and all.. but then we started traveling the country and came back to visit after about a year. Holy freakin cow cheese! No where else in the country is that bad!!

Anyway, some advice to offer you though. You keep mentioning living somewhere out of the city and commuting in, basing this idea on political statistics and the idea that you'll be around more liberal people. Keep in mind that while the statistics suggest more liberal people in that area, what they fail to paint into the picture is that you'll never really hang out with these people (where would you?), and the still majority conservative leaning of the area aren't just normal republicans. Many of them are the nutcases that normal republicans socially reject. The kind that may consider shooting you because you support Obama - and not even because he's an awful president and they fundamentally disagree with his politics, but just because he's black. For the most part, in the city, you don't encounter those people outside of walmart - and normal people who go to walmart wonder what hill they came down from. I would strongly advise not living anywhere within commutable distance that has a higher elevation than redding ;)

Your best bet is either a nice subdivision within city limits (avoid anything with a street name related to space though, ie, "galaxy","saturn", etc. Unsafe even if it looks OK), or Palo Cedro. In a good subdivision you'll be around educated, relatively successful people, and you'll have nothing to worry about from them. The area will be relatively safe from outside crime too (although I'd seriously reconsider your convictions about keeping a gun around the house.) Palo Cedro is considered more affluent overall I'd say. The schools are excellent. If you're still there in 4 years then Foothill is by far the best high school in the area (I went to school there, and worked at all 3 of the highschools for 5 years after that. Trust me, it's the crown jewel no matter what any realtor tells you about Shasta.) No one's going to bother you there, although they may ruffle your feathers a bit at social gatherings for fun ;) Also, it's safest there because of how spread out everything is, and because anyone committing a crime in the area knows that everyone in palo cedro owns a gun and would make sure an intruder is in fact dead, to avoid a lawsuit. So you can actually get away with not owning a gun there just because everyone will assume you do, although as a libertarian gun-supporter I say that's cheating a bit ;)

Above all though, what I would suggest. Don't take the job to begin with ;) I don't know where you're at now or what company is transferring people IN to redding on purpose rather than hiring locally from a desperately unemployed workforce... but absolutely not joking - I would quit my job if it was between that or transferring to Redding. Find a different job while you still can (read: before getting stuck in Redding's tragic economy.)

Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 AM

62 posts, read 131,969 times
Just a little update: I decided not to take the job in Redding! Thank you all for your help and warnings, I just don't think it would be worth it. Fortunately I may have an opportunity in Sacramento instead!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM

3,794 posts, read 4,885,287 times
Congratulations! You're better off.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,360 times
Sad to see the negativity about Redding and that it persuaded Wood & Creek not to move here. My husband and I (and now 2 kids) have lived here for over a decade and love it. Great people (we are on the liberal side, vegetarians, etc. and have met many educated and wonderful friends), fantastic setting for outdoor recreation, good trails and parks in town, great schools, and plenty of sports and arts opportunities for kids. Many government workers and folks in the medical field (doctors, etc.) live here. Give Redding a chance, people.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM

6,805 posts, read 1,458,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyIrishSetter View Post
Sad to see the negativity about Redding and that it persuaded Wood & Creek not to move here. My husband and I (and now 2 kids) have lived here for over a decade and love it. Great people (we are on the liberal side, vegetarians, etc. and have met many educated and wonderful friends), fantastic setting for outdoor recreation, good trails and parks in town, great schools, and plenty of sports and arts opportunities for kids. Many government workers and folks in the medical field (doctors, etc.) live here. Give Redding a chance, people.
Every time I've been to Redding it's been great. First time was as a kid as a junior tennis player. Sun Oaks put us up at their facility which was great. They have racquetball and indoor courts which were fun for us to play on. The heat up there doesn't bother me. /shrug

My best childhood friend lives there and works in real estate. He's still doing ok and likes it up there.

You're close to Mount Shasta, which is cool.

I could live there if I was transferred there no problem.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM

6,175 posts, read 11,595,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyIrishSetter View Post
OMG. Heresy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California