Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,922 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend (both in our early twenties) were born and raised in Texas and are ready to get out and see what else the world has to offer! We both would love to live in California, preferably northern Cali near the forests and/or the redwoods. We love nature, the outdoors, and wildlife, so a place near these things would be absolutely perfect. (We also would not mind living near the ocean either) We are open-minded and laidback, the marijuana culture is where we feel the most at home, and would love to be surrounded by more people who feel the same! We do not have any kids, just a cat, and are not looking neccessarily to live inside a major city. All in all, we need some ideas on where to live in Cali that would be both affordable but full of life and adventure! A friend recommended places like Boulder Creek and the area around Santa Cruz, but we still are not sure! We have also heard good things about the Humbolt county area. If you have any suggestions, please let us know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
I hear the State of Jefferson is nice.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley28 View Post
the marijuana culture is where we feel the most at home, and would love to be surrounded by more people who feel the same!
We're full - try Oregon. All the "people who feel the same" here are generally employees of Mexican cartels ruining our national forests and shooting at hikers/nature lovers who stray too near.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Anywhere in northern California will do.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
Russian River in Sonoma County Russian River Chamber of Commerce

Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,905,315 times
did you say "affordable"? lol

Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
I'd look at Garberville or Ferndale.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,134,524 times
What about work?
Many fine areas for those that have worked enough to escape..

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
It's spelled "Humboldt" and I wouldn't advise moving here without a job or some kind of trade. Don't plan on working in the marijuana trade. It's not what it used to be.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,631,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
We're full - try Oregon. *All the "people who feel the same" here are generally employees of Mexican cartels ruining our national forests and shooting at hikers/nature lovers who stray too near.
That is a quite the exaggeration. And those people are NOT employees of the cartel, they are 'slaves' to the cartel who are forced to work out of fear for their families back in Mexico.
I have lived in the Mendocino & Humboldt area for over 20 years.
For northern California, anything south of SF will be more expensive than areas north, generally speaking for areas outside of major cities.
The coast will cost more than inland.
Arcata and Eureka are coastal in a way, but not like Santa Cruz. The weather is much nicer in Santa Cruz, but in Eureka/Arcata there is almost always foggy and the average temp is 67 degrees. Coming from TX that might be a nice change but if you like good weather and the outdoors, skip Eureka/Arcata.*
But- if that sounds doable, areas outside of Arcata and Eureka have better weather. Arcata is a college town, costs more and harder to find a place than Eureka, but it's hard finding a place there as well.*
Work can be found, but that's not easy either.
Garberville and Redway is really small and probably the sort of thing you are looking for in a lot of ways. Work is fairly easy to find even for a small community. Lots of turn over in employment due to the marijuana industry. But, rentals are next to impossible to find, you have to know someone and even then there are 20 people wanting the same place. There is also a good amount of people addicted to speed. I had more things stolen living there than any place else.
Fort Bragg is on the coast, but expensive.*
Willits is larger town much like Garberville in feel and attitude. Have not lived there, but know quite a few people who do. You could get lucky with work and housing there, but may take some aggressive effort.
I'm currently in south Mendocino along the 101 corridor (Ukiah, Calpella, Redwood Valley) It's just about an hour to Santa Rosa for big city shopping and nightlife. I see lots of for rent signs and places are vacant for some time for some places. I think that rent is affordable. I have a large 3bdrm house just outside of city limits and rent is $1,300. (compared to the 2 bedroom dump in Eureka for $950)
Work is around to be had, but getting a job is dependent upon your attitude.*
Two people I know with good work history could not get a job, one took 6 months to find work, the other never did and left the area. I got a job right away and my BIL and his GF found work in about a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California