Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,580,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husband and I have never lived off th east coast we currently live in south Florida and previous in Maine and NH. We want out of florida ( schools are always on the bottom and we r sick of humidity/heat etc.) we have a two year old so her safety and schools are high on our list. We make combined 90k I work as a chef for Waldorf Anout to start school for digitl conematography as a second career and he's a 911 dispatcher former officer in school for accounting. Every time I look at Cali I feel overwhelmed and discouraged with prices. We would like to buy a home eventually and with a budget of $250,000 make I can't seem to find anything that does t require bars on the windows. My brother lives in Santa Monica but that's way out of our range. I don't know if I can deal with shoveling 6 feet of snow again but I don't want the constant stifling heat of Florida. Any suggestions on where to look? Help me narrow down some places maybe please
Things are not too bad down here in Miami after Oct through April, it's quite like California weather to me. It's personally the best time of the year to live down here. Can still go to the beach too, problem is the tourists, snowbirds and Noo Yawkers clog up the roadways, beach and restaurants.

Problem with the California dream for many is the COL in the areas where there are jobs, that tends to leave LA and the Bay Area, San Diego, is not so great on the job market, I look at it like South Florida jobs don't pay well and there is little work. If owning a home is a #1 priority, it's going to take a lot of $ in the desirable parts to afford something nice and safe. If your okay with commuting 1 or 2 hours with traffic one way, then you could surely find a house in some parts quite affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Just curious, what sort of limitation would limit one's climate zone possibilities? I can understand a dislike of shoveling snow, but what else?
Tolerances do vary for a number of reasons. One example: I lost most of the feeling in my face when major sections of my trigeminal nerve were destroyed ... a strange consequence has been what's called "phantom pain" where the brain / nervous system interprets conditions from other nerves and extrapolates sensation. Translation: my brain causes me to feel severe, frostbite cold in my face when other, functioning, nerves report cold conditions. Thus, rather than enjoying an invigorating, refreshing sensation of brisk chill when out walking in even a 50 or 60-degree, or even higher, temperature, I feel facial pain. Direct sunlight over about mid-60's, without significant breeze, immediately cures and relieves.

Other damages from my past also contribute various weather-sensitive aches and pains that I used to endure better when young, but now are intensified with the typical encroachment of a bit of age-related arthritis where bones were broken and cartilage torn, nerves mangled, etc.

So, stay in the sun? Too much and can you say skin cancer?

I now love my Hawaiian winters -- where I can stay warm as toast day and night, even out of direct sunlight.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,017,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Tolerances do vary for a number of reasons. One example: I lost most of the feeling in my face when major sections of my trigeminal nerve were destroyed ... a strange consequence has been what's called "phantom pain" where the brain / nervous system interprets conditions from other nerves and extrapolates sensation. Translation: my brain causes me to feel severe, frostbite cold in my face when other, functioning, nerves report cold conditions. Thus, rather than enjoying an invigorating, refreshing sensation of brisk chill when out walking in even a 50 or 60-degree, or even higher, temperature, I feel facial pain. Direct sunlight over about mid-60's, without significant breeze, immediately cures and relieves.

Other damages from my past also contribute various weather-sensitive aches and pains that I used to endure better when young, but now are intensified with the typical encroachment of a bit of age-related arthritis where bones were broken and cartilage torn, nerves mangled, etc.

So, stay in the sun? Too much and can you say skin cancer?

I now love my Hawaiian winters -- where I can stay warm as toast day and night, even out of direct sunlight.
Exactly.

.highnlite, to answer your question, there are countless medical reasons one can be severely impacted by climate. You mention a change of just 20*. A change of 20* in the wrong direction could kill some.

- Respiratory issues (which, if ignored, turn into blood sugar issues and eventually shock - all in the span of approx. 12 hours)
- Joint disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder

just to name a few.

So, not all weather in CA is great for everyone. The wonderful thing about CA is its many micro-climates. You can pick the one that works for you. And I assure you, there are climates in CA that don't work for some, while in the very same state, the perfect one is right there, too. Mine is (but again, it's only in one part of CA ).

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
There are SO many places in NorCal that would work. You are right that you won't get Santa Monica (one of the most expensive places ever) but I didn't see you asking for a swanky beach community with excellent schools so you will have a lot of options when it comes to location. Mountains, lakes, valleys, etc. Look at a map of CA, it's huge.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,623,774 times
The Shire works,

Quote:
Through the remarkable city of San Luis Obispo in California, which had the highest level of overall well-being in America according to the Healthways-Gallup survey, we see a clear example of how an American community can proactively change itself to create an environment where people live happier lives. Not only does the town have an aggressive green belt in place, it also supports the arts, favors pedestrians, actually makes it easy to work for yourself, and has made the town square a place to meet socially and serve as an icon of civic pride.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,465,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
The weather varies widely in California, both west to east, and north to south. To assert that the weather is fine for someone else anywhere they might go in CA is a large assumption, since you're not them.

For me and my dogs, due to health restrictions, there are only certain parts of CA we can physically live in due to the difference in weather inland vs. on the coast, in the mountains vs near the beach, in SoCal vs NorCal, in NorCal downtown vs NorCal in the valley, etc.

So, like I said, since the OP is clearly not from CA, I was just reminding them to check the weather and job market to make sure it works for them. No harm in that.

While the changes in CA weather depending on what part you're in may not seem huge to you, they're huge to others with limitations. They're also huge to someone moving all the way to CA for a certain expectation only to end up somewhere that is pretty much like what they just left, only with less jobs and a higher COL.
Truth be told not everyone has health restrictions. Most don't. With that said I am sorry that you and your dogs do and am glad you found the right spot for you (and your dogs).

So we have this 29 year old couple who are sick of oppressive, sticky humid weather. IMO there ain't anywhere in CA that they won't enjoy, weather-wise.

And just so you know, I don't care for the coast as a place to live. I spent the first 26 years of my life within five miles from the ocean. The weather sucks IMO. I hate the damp foggy clime of the central and northern coast. I love the Sierras-both high and low. Dry air. Sunny summers-as it should be.

Quote:
Exactly.

.highnlite, to answer your question, there are countless medical reasons one can be severely impacted by climate. You mention a change of just 20*. A change of 20* in the wrong direction could kill some.

- Respiratory issues (which, if ignored, turn into blood sugar issues and eventually shock - all in the span of approx. 12 hours)
- Joint disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder

just to name a few.

So, not all weather in CA is great for everyone. The wonderful thing about CA is its many micro-climates. You can pick the one that works for you. And I assure you, there are climates in CA that don't work for some, while in the very same state, the perfect one is right there, too. Mine is (but again, it's only in one part of CA ).
Like I said. You should not be focused on how a disabled person would react to climate. I mean, what if the OP is not half of a disabled couple??? Then what?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Like I said. You should not be focused on how a disabled person would react to climate. I mean, what if the OP is not half of a disabled couple??? Then what?
I didn't get that anyone was "focused" on disability ... the sunny-smiler was just answering a question, as was I, as to how climate could be a critical part of decision ... simple, honest question asked ... and answered.

And I agree with you that the OP couple, like the majority of folks from mid-west, south, and east, would likely find most of California's climates a major improvement

Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 AM

If I realized that telling someone that hasn't lived in CA to remember to check the climates for the places they're considering since CA has so many diverse micro-climates (something that's often unknown to many that have never visited CA) would cause such a long discussion, I would have simply let someone else tell the OP, or let the OP find out on their own.

I never assumed the OP had health concerns. All I said was, hey, remember to check the weather of the are to make sure it works for you, and left it at that. Some how that turned into, but why? I answer that, and now all of a sudden people are assuming I'm assuming the OP has health issues. I never said that. I was simply listing a few reasons why weather might be of concern to someone. The OP stated weather was important, so I reminded them that weather is diverse in CA, it's not all like you see in the movies, like many that have never been to CA think.

To get back to the OP, which is why we're all here, the OP sounds like they are uprooting their family, and weather is one of the large reasons. That's a big move, so it would be nice, I imagine, if the OP finally finds what it sounds like they've been looking for for a long time (hence, all their moves). My suggestion for them to check the weather of the CA area they're considering is a valid suggestion, since weather varies widely in CA and seems to be important to the OP (as it is for many of us).

I'm done offering help. Who knew it would cause so much controversy? lol Someone else can take over.

(Thank you, by the way. I'm glad we found our happy place, too! )

Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,397,494 times
Quote:
If I realized that telling someone that hasn't lived in CA to remember to check the climates for the places they're considering since CA has so many diverse micro-climates (something that's often unknown to many that have never visited CA) would cause such a long discussion, I would have simply let someone else tell the OP, or let the OP find out on their own.

I never assumed the OP had health concerns. All I said was, hey, remember to check the weather of the are to make sure it works for you, and left it at that. Some how that turned into, but why? I answer that, and now all of a sudden people are assuming I'm assuming the OP has health issues. I never said that. I was simply listing a few reasons why weather might be of concern to someone. The OP stated weather was important, so I reminded them that weather is diverse in CA, it's not all like you see in the movies, like many that have never been to CA think.

To get back to the OP, which is why we're all here, the OP sounds like they are uprooting their family, and weather is one of the large reasons. That's a big move, so it would be nice, I imagine, if the OP finally finds what it sounds like they've been looking for for a long time (hence, all their moves). My suggestion for them to check the weather of the CA are they're considering is a valid suggestion, since weather varies widely in CA and seems to be important to the OP (as it is for many of us). Period.

I'm done offering help. Who knew it would cause so much controversy? Someone else can take over.

(Thank you, by the way. I'm glad we found our happy place, too. )
Don't take anything on this forum personally. You have TX in your user name...believe me many Californians on this forum HATE anything and anyone who has anything associated with TX. Their loss my dear

Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Don't take anything on this forum personally. You have TX in your user name...believe me many Californians on this forum HATE anything and anyone who has anything associated with TX. Their loss my dear
Thank you. I agree. (I wish I could rep. you again, but C-D is telling me I have to wait longer to remind you how awesome you are. Ah well. lol)

If they assume I'm from Texas because "TX" is in my username on a message board, then they make too many assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California